This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Do you feel safe here?

Ok, I am an Admin on this board. I have served here for a while.

There is no fear in what you say in this, no one is going to get in trouble for how they answer... It actually pains me to even have to say that.

Please simply vote, or post....

Explination;

The last few years of my life have brought huge challenges to me. I lay here and type this post having been rocked to by core in the last 24 hours, and I realize I don't personally feel safe here in sharing it with any person here.

This is not an indictment of the board, certainly not of the leadership (except maybe of myself). Our Lead Admin and the board owner are amazing men, and our membership here humbles me to even be able to post amongst you. I am the lowest member on the totem pole here, I am not a "Grand Anything" mostly I just clean up coffee grounds in The lounge...

I don't post as much as I once did... Many come to the same conclusion, not a loss really.

i have moderated and administered boards since the days before the Internet, back when you dialed into a BBS. I realize I have nothing uniquely mine to share, the Word is Truth, and it does not benefit from this heardsmens input (I love the discussion, and still learn more every time I read a thread!)

my current ministry is unique, my walk is also. I don't post things that might cause a brother to stumble.

I realize I don't feel free to share much of anyting personal here any more. If this is just me, then so be it... I shall trust in Christ to fix it (I am a work in progress folks).

If it is true for you, I would love to hear your thoughts about it... Why, and how you suggest we (I) might do better in helping achieve the goal here while also building one another up (just look at my signature to read what that is.)

Thanks folks.
    Yes, I feel free to share, BF is a safe place to be open & real.
    23.81%
    Yes, I feel safe. I might say but respect the rules so refrain appropriately.
    9.52%
    Kind of... I Share but I have my guard up.
    35.71%
    No, I wish I felt more able to share here.
    30.95%
    Not sure what you are getting at (again!)
    0.00%
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Re: Do you feel safe here?

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Comment

I have my guard up and selectively post, because my views are too extreme for some tastes. Taking the bible literally ruffles some feathers, and I'm not saying that to be snide, it's just the truth. So I've given up on certain things, and I don't post nearly as much as I used to because of it.

I used to think that the people who believed what I now do, to be crazy. Now I see why it was so hard to believe in the first place.
      John 10 (KJV)
      27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
      28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
      29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
        I realize I don't feel free to share much of anyting personal here any more. If this is just me, then so be it... I shall trust in Christ to fix it (I am a work in progress folks).
        I voted "Yes, I feel free to share, BF is a safe place to be open & real." However now I wonder if you meant to focus this poll on our sharing of personal matters here? Or are you meaning feel free to speak as to our understanding of Scripture, which I took at first to be what you meant? Or I suppose it could be both. Whatever I feel free to be open & real, but I feel that way pretty much everywhere. I have had some disciplinary actions taken towards me in the past by this board (well both by one specific person which was a pretty long time ago and that person no longer has any "authority" on the board) that I felt were wrong ... however I lived with it. Anyways I would be interested in my above questions being addressed and maybe at the beginning of the OP a statement to make it more clear as to what this poll is about (personal matters, Scripture understanding or both).
        Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
        For You are the God of my salvation;
        On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

Comment

I am going to try my best to explain what I feel but its hard because I really dont want to offend anybody and this is not directed at anyone specifically

I have been wanting to say this here for a long time and I just haven't been able to find the right way to say it. But now i have to say that the longer I have been a part of these forums, the more hesitant I have become to post anything. I have seen how things go in many threads and it just feels like sometimes things get really uncomfortable. All the discussions are always over the same things over and over again ad infinitum. And they all end up the same way. I understand that some people want to debate, but I have long felt that good solid Christian fellowship and support comes second to trying to prove the other guy wrong. I sometimes want to post my honest opinion in some of these discussions, but I am not a theologian and even though I have picked up some things about Christianity that have proven useful in my life, I feel like I am unable to speak on some threads, because I will be caught in the crossfire of the debate. I have been to lots of other sites looking for simple, decent fellowship, encouragement, inspiration and edification. I used to like debate, but I now am at a place where I really need to focus only on things that actually affect my life. And i have come to the conclusion that the internet is simply not a place that ends itself to convincing other people in an argument. Rather, I seek relationship. Relationships that can help me to figure out things from the Bible that are relevant to my life right now. And yes, I have tried to start threads to address this, and they have mostly ended up dying within a day or two. I used to have a bunch of friends who I felt I could really share that with, but that is all gone now it seems. That is why I have been very scarce. I just haven't felt like its worth my time to come here. Sometiems a place like this, where I seek to be encouraged when I am depressed (a common occurrence these days, i'm afraid) I end up being more frustrated and depressed than when I came. Honestly, I don't think that's the way it should be. People should feel welcome here and feel like this is a place to relax a little and be surrounded by like minded people who can help you face the world again. When one reads the way peole speak to each other here doesn't exactly make it seem like that, at least not to me.

Another thing I would mention (and this is a bit generalized and again I dont mean to offend, but this is really how I feel) is the fact that I am not an used to the way people speak to each other here. I come from a background people are generally not very direct in the way they discuss things, not because they are dishonest, but because they prefer to be protective of other person. So I am not used to what I perceive to be a very direct and sometimes almost attacking way of saying things here. I could be wrong but that's my perception and the way many people come across here. I am not used to being jumped on for sharing a simple opinion. I can admit when I am wrong but there is a way to tell someone something that can be a blessing rather than a frustration, a guilt trip, a motivation through fear or a cause for resentment. I really want to start posting here again more often. You don't know how many times I was busy typing a post, only to be too scared to post it because I know I will be jumped upon.

I must say though that this board is still better than many that I have seen and I also appreciate the fellowship of so many great people one here. I think this is an issue that is across the whole internet and this board is still a shining example of good fellowship compared to what I have seen in other places. Please don't take my words as an attack. Like I said, I am just expressing things that I have been feeling for a long time.
          "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous; But Jehovah delivereth him out of them all.

"Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good"

Comment

Again I did select that I felt safe, however I am pretty "tough" and I usually just put my understanding forward as my understanding not as my understanding IS SCRIPTURE ... so that helps for me to avoid tit for tat conversations too much. But I do understand why many would not feel safe because there are a number of people who TRULY BELIEVE that their understanding is more than their understanding and see that their understanding IS SCRIPTURE. And they can be very adamant about it to the point of becoming very attacking.
            Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
            For You are the God of my salvation;
            On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

Comment

I am running late for work, so I will try to come back to this tonight if I can. It's a serious matter and good question that deserves some thought before answering.

But if I may, what makes a safe place and a place where one feels safe to share?

Comment

I realize I don't feel free to share much of anyting personal here any more. .
                When discussing -debating-promoting-teaching--whatever you wish to name it--my personal belief in Theology/Scripture/Doctrine I'm not hesitant at all to share and put it out there. This "Faith" thing isn't a game it is THE most important factor in our present and future. What we believe, think, feel and every word we say ( and type ) matters.

If what I believe and what I say/type can't stand up to the light of scrutiny and questions then it is incumbent upon me, as I work out my salvation in fear and trembling*, to closely examine what I believe and say/type and correct any error.

None of us are 100% right 100% of the time.

None of us are without error and none of us are beyond correction. I firmly grasp and relish part of the rules of conduct here at Bible Forums that states:

We all come from different backgrounds and convictions and each member has their own different personalities and style of communicating through the written word. Remember first and foremost that we come together because of Christ and stand under Him and are accountable in all you say and do. We do not have to agree but allow anothers disagreement to drive you into the Word for answers. Nobody has all the answers, and even in debates with gusto and passion remember that we cannot find the bottom of the knowledge of God in the flesh. We are called into fellowship in order to share, uplift and grow in our shared faith.

I have no idea who wrote that part of our code here but I truly feel that the Holy Spirit was doing a mighty fine job of convicting and guiding that day. And that doesn't have to be just a guideline of our conduct on this Christan message board it can be extrapolated/taken/applied to all area's of our life where we interact with others.

Does that mean that we should then be completely open and honest? Yes! How can we be edified and in turn edify others if we aren't completely open and honest about our faith and our belief? If it cannot stand in the clear light of the truth then something is wrong with it and you need to get rid of the stinking thinking and get right brothers and sisters. Right with God and right with the rest of your family that consists of all who have been born again.
                On the other hand there are some things and area's that God convicts people of personally and in different ways. Each and every relationship we have is unique in some ways and nowhere in Scripture does it say that everyone has to completely agree with everything I say or that I have to completely agree with anyone else when it comes to non salvific matters.

In those cases we need to show the love, compassion and understanding that we are commanded to show our brothers and sisters. If we are truly loving one another we should be able to embrace and respect our differences be they cultural or otherwise while at the same time remembering:

Matthew 7:13-14
                13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

If I'm ever heading down that broad path that leads to the gate of destruction I would hope and pray that my brothers and sisters would love me enough to do what it takes to get me on the right path that leads to the narrow gate.

* Philippians 2:12
                "Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage."

Comment

I have found, in the short time I have been here that there are a few that will not tolerate someone trying to help another. I even posted some personal information about me on a threat so that others that were posting would understand that I am at a place in my life where everything I once believed I was questioning so I am on the pat of learning all over again. There are others here who just assume you should know certain things and are amazed that you would even ask questions as simple as they are, Everyone has there own personality and that's what makes the body of Christ so wonderful and fresh. There still should be harmony in the body of Christ and its members. I have come here to learn and watch, participate in debates to get a complete understanding of the WORD. I am not really concerned anymore about the one line hits or answers that some leave as a response to a question because that's what has driven me to this place in my life anyways. I have noticed that there are some here who do explain there position and are trying to lead and correct doctrine so that others may move foreward in their faith. There are others who just feel like they know everything and there position is so solid that we that are in the milk are not worthy of an explanation as to the question "why". I am very cautious on posting on threads recently as to the hostility towards other that I have seen and im not interested in the conversation outside the posts. I will continue to read and learn from those that seem to want to build a deciple and explain there reasoning for their doctrine and will let those who's pride has allowed them to be so RIGHT answer to the one who wrote it in the first place, the one who we profess to be here to discuss in the first place, Christ Jesus.

And just a ilttle note: I have read many past threads on subject matter that pertain to the study I am doing at the time, and as time changes so do certain belief's so as we may start threads that seem to be the same one that some of you have participated in a year ago and feel like its a burden to you to see it all over again, don't post. don't participate but allow us that have not been here since the time of moses to have a fresh new journey with some fresh new views and insite. I am sure that there are some who once believed one way and now believe another so as the same old questions might be asked, there are some with a new fresh view and that what growing is all about.
                  " I am here to learn and I am not a teacher of the word. While I may challenge beliefs and ask pointed questions it is for me to understand completely your point of view so that I may challenge my own point of view in my search for truth"

Comment

The Faith, particularly the Bible, and secondarily the believer, is ultimately mocked.

Comment

While I feel perfectly safe in sharing my beliefs,need for prayer and certain events I realize that there are some things that are best left off online forums. There is no real measure of accountability other than following the forum guidelines.I have had people PM me in the past with personal issues that,because I don't know them personally,I had to refuse to deal with. Forums such as this should never be defined as a replacement for actual face to face fellowship. I am often amazed by people who have families and a church they oversee and yet still spend hours and hours on debates. Something is getting neglected.I know it was with me when I did that. Don't get me wrong,I think healthy discussions and contending for the faith are good things. There are some issues that need to be addressed head on and we have forums to do that in. It's just that the other forums like prayer,praise,growing in christ and even christian fellowship seem to have much less activity. ChangedByHim opened up a thread on how he struggled with much of the discourse here making everyone seem like jerks. I can sympathize,often our true tone is hidden by the impersonal nature of forums like this. It is my plan in the future to spend most of my time in some of the forums that generate real fellowship. If online ministries like this are going to survive they need to promote the life,anointing and refreshing that makes them an oasis in the desert. I often feel refreshed after participating in such discussions while there is a choking sense of God's displeasure when I find myself in contentious strife. I am learning when to draw the line when defending my position and not to go beyond what pleases the Lord. Staying in the Lord's will is the only true "safe" place.

Blessings
                      Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Comment

I don't write anything, anywhere, that I would be comfortable with having posted on the front page of the NY Times.

I don't say or write too much personal business to anyone. Never have.
                        Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

I voted, "Kind of..."

The moment I post any testimony of God prompting me, or directing me (God told me), or when I receive a dream, vision, prompted to lay on of hands and God heals, or any casting out of a demon testimony, testify of giving a word of knowledge, or receiving any word of knowledge or even a prophetic word from another Christian... while some ask honest questions, others are out to do all they can to tear the testimony down to the ground and remove any and all glory to God.

It is to the point that when others on the board post a testimony of anything similar, I resist posting in the thread with any Hooah, or comment because the moment I do comment, in come all those who want to do nothing but tear up the thread because God don't move in such a way in their church.

So in this sense, it is not safe... at all.

In all honesty, I post a ton of testimony of God's glorious supernatural work and something wants these open testimonies to be stopped and thus... the constant resistance and what I will call, outright oppression against such posts continues. I endure due to my maturity, God continues to move as He does... but what about those who are babes and get attacked in such ways?
                          --
                          Slug1--out

~John 8:14 Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

The above goal is very good and rings with me. I am a very zealous seeker. I will say that what I have found from God and what He has allowed me to see is not always easy to take. My walk has been very difficult. Sometimes what I have been shown tends to bring some measure of scandal.

Do I feel safe to post? Sort of! In the past not very much!

Well, first off I am rather bold...I may just hold the record for being coffeed and allowed back. My message also leads to a lot of personal attacks on me. I don't mind this...otherwise I wouldn't be able to stay on the forum. My thinking is that but for God's will I could be the one doing the attacking. I have come to see things that way. When a driver cuts me off in traffic...I put myself there and think...that could be me. But this came about only after the patience and love of God constrained me to do this.

The word says to speak the truth in love. I am very conscious of this and try be edifying as much as possible. I figure the truth is hard enough to take as it is. But we don't really know one another.

I was privileged to meet Amazzin in person! How many of us here on the forum have actually met one another? We shared a great fraternal connection in Christ. How much mis-communication could have been avoided had we met earlier? And we had not much more than an hour together. The difference between online communication and a face to face encounter was like night and day. How much more would we flow together if we could meet each other...however briefly? But we are an online community. I try to esteem other posters as having the best intent...well...unless they prove otherwise. I also try to stick with the issue at hand.

I feel that I tend to stir up a lot of trouble for the mods here. Sorry about that. I don't mean to...but I do think the truth is hard to swallow. Do I think I am speaking the truth? Yes! So I guess that gets me into hot water right there. But I think all posters are convinced of being right as well. All the ways of man seem right in his own eyes.

So there is tension between posters at times. I think that is just fine...it makes things interesting. I am for letting people be free in their observations...as long as the attempt is being made to love and to learn something and not just spew. I have learned a number of things here. I really do love the brethren and like the people here. I say like because we have not had the chance to walk together.

I don't know that the forum has been a good experience for all who have come here. Sure some deserve the boot for having a very bad attitude...but others not.

I, for one, hate to see real brothers get the boot. How can we minimize the mis-understandings and mis-communications?

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
                            מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
                            התהלכו באור

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                              I voted, "Kind of..."

The moment I post any testimony of God prompting me, or directing me (God told me), or when I receive a dream, vision, prompted to lay on of hands and God heals, or any casting out of a demon testimony, testify of giving a word of knowledge, or receiving any word of knowledge or even a prophetic word from another Christian... while some ask honest questions, others are out to do all they can to tear the testimony down to the ground and remove any and all glory to God.

It is to the point that when others on the board post a testimony of anything similar, I resist posting in the thread with any Hooah, or comment because the moment I do comment, in come all those who want to do nothing but tear up the thread because God don't move in such a way in their church.

So in this sense, it is not safe... at all.

In all honesty, I post a ton of testimony of God's glorious supernatural work and something wants these open testimonies to be stopped and thus... the constant resistance and what I will call, outright oppression against such posts continues. I endure due to my maturity, God continues to move as He does... but what about those who are babes and get attacked in such ways?
                              Amen...or should I say...hooooah! The tragedy is that the testimony of God's patient and loving efforts in us are so easily ridiculed. God does not get the glory and honour He deserves.

I can take the hit...because I have sinned greatly and I can expect some rough treatment. But what of honouring the Lord in the other brother and what he is bringing? To GOD be the glory.

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
                              מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
                              התהלכו באור

Comment

Working...
                              X