Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your first job ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Discussion Your first job ?

    My first job where I earned a little coin was helping my grandpa run a newspaper route . I was 12 at the time I started helping . We had @ 250 papers to deliver , most of them to boxes on the side of the road at customers houses and some we threw in the yards . We also put papers in newspaper racks to be vended when you inserted .10 for the daily paper .

    My family was an Air Force family for the first 12 years of my life so I had never really spent that much time with any of my grand parents . So it was an interesting experience to be around my grandpa . My grandpa was Christian and I really had never been in church much at all , I would ask where we were going next and he would "We are going to heaven ! Are you ready to go ! " and my reply would be "Huh ? Not Yet !" much to my grandpa's surprise . I had no knowledge of what he was talking about .

    I learned a lot about dealing with the public which came in handy later in life as a lot of my future employment was in the service and retail field . I learned about collecting money , how to deal with unhappy customers ( no one wants their comic section left out of their sunday paper ! ) .

    Our weekday route run in the afternoon but the sunday edition we delivered starting @ 4:30am , the small town was so quite with no one out at all but us . My grandpa told be to be ready for the dog that screams at one house . Sunday morning was the only time the dog would scream at us and it kind of sounded like a woman screaming . The first time the dog screamed at my grandpa he said it really got him, lol !

    Grandpa had a early 60's Dodge Dart with a V8 and he made liberal use of it's power so we could finish the route as soon as we could . And wow a paper route will really eat your break shoes up in a hurry ! My grandpa's main money maker was being a farmer and he raised a few pigs . He drove a school bus in the years before he started on the paper route . He also raised broiler chickens in chicken house which I got to help with , feed and water the baby chicks , and when the chickens are gone clean out the chicken house and then spread new saw dust for the next load of baby chicks . That new saw dust smelled so good !

    So what is you story ?

  • #2
    I grew up in a very poor family. My father was a factory laborer and hardly could make money because of his health problems. I had 4 brothers and when I was 13 I had to start working. At first, I was getting little jobs in the factory and then I started to work as an assistant in a little real estate agency. I learned the tricks of being an honest real estate agent in time and now I'm running my own overseas real estate portfolio selling real estate in Greece. If you be patient and don't forget to pray anything is possible.

    Comment


    • #3
      My first job was working at a "Woolworths!" Started in the music section and before entering the Army, I had covered appliances/TV, men's wear, sporting goods, and maintenance. I remember that my 1st paycheck's net was about $25.00 and my wife and I were just dating back then and I took her out to dinner for the 1st time, where I paid for the whole meal :-)
      Slug1--out

      ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
        My first job was working at a "Woolworths!" Started in the music section and before entering the Army, I had covered appliances/TV, men's wear, sporting goods, and maintenance. I remember that my 1st paycheck's net was about $25.00 and my wife and I were just dating back then and I took her out to dinner for the 1st time, where I paid for the whole meal :-)
        Sounds like you worked all the Depts. other than the candy counter or the snack bar ! They did have a snack bar ? I remember most of the 5 and dime stores you walked in you would smell the popcorn from the snack bar .

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by hawkman View Post

          Sounds like you worked all the Depts. other than the candy counter or the snack bar ! They did have a snack bar ? I remember most of the 5 and dime stores you walked in you would smell the popcorn from the snack bar .
          As an employee, I was able to get a burger, fries and a chocolate shake (full silver mixer with a mug too) for $5. The Employee Special!!!!!!!!!!
          Slug1--out

          ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by henderson78 View Post
            I grew up in a very poor family. My father was a factory laborer and hardly could make money because of his health problems. I had 4 brothers and when I was 13 I had to start working. At first, I was getting little jobs in the factory and then I started to work as an assistant in a little real estate agency. I learned the tricks of being an honest real estate agent in time and now I'm running my own overseas real estate portfolio selling real estate in Greece. If you be patient and don't forget to pray anything is possible.
            That was a great move to be able to get out of the factory grind and into an office job ! I bet you really felt like you were moving up in the world . How did you manage to land the real estate job ?

            Comment


            • #7
              My first paying job was delivering flyers door to door. That was fairly miserable and paid poorly. Moved up to a paper route after that. Then got a Saturday job working in a greenhouse - that was alright except the greenhouse that they grew the primulas in: they like it cool, so the fans would be on full on cold days and you would just be freezing as you watered thousands of plants. It was much better during poinsettia season.
              Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
              Ecc 7:10

              John777 exists to me only in quoted form.


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by teddyv View Post
                My first paying job was delivering flyers door to door. That was fairly miserable and paid poorly. Moved up to a paper route after that. Then got a Saturday job working in a greenhouse - that was alright except the greenhouse that they grew the primulas in: they like it cool, so the fans would be on full on cold days and you would just be freezing as you watered thousands of plants. It was much better during poinsettia season.
                Brrr that would have been rough cold and water to deal with too ! A couple of decades back my wife was looking at ads in the local paper and saw they needed people to deliver phone books door to door . She thought it would not be that hard of a job , she was wrong , I ended up helping her on my off days ! But we laugh about it now .

                Comment

                Working...
                X