car stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car stuff

i have a 1997 Mercury Tracer. It was overheating and had a new radiator installed- $371 total. now it's overheating again and blowing out cold air instead of hot air. was thinking a bad thermostat or water pump

Re: car stuff

Could be either. I would bet on the thermostat sticking first as it is easiest to replace and the more likely candidate. If it has overheated real bad I would change the oil too, unless you are running synthetic (which can handle alot more heat)
    ὁ ̓Ιησοῦς κύριος

Comment

Originally posted by newdaddy1223 View Post
      i have a 1997 Mercury Tracer. It was overheating and had a new radiator installed- $371 total. now it's overheating again and blowing out cold air instead of hot air. was thinking a bad thermostat or water pump

Take it back to the shop. The first thing they should have done is replace the thermostat and flushed the radiator.

Overheating after that would have indicated a water pump problem.

The one reason to replace the radiator is a rupture in the radiator itself.

(Of course, the shop is going to make more money working things in reverse)
      Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Comment

There are a few water pumps out there in which the impellor becomes disconnected off the shaft & the bearings stay intact (which is usually what goes wrong with water pump)
        So most mechanics can't tell that there is anything wrong.

Best way to tell is to remove the thermostat & fire up the car.
        If the water moves & is circulating accross the radiator then it is your thermostat otherwise it is your pump.

Comment

Working...
        X