• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christian rock

Originally posted by matthewhenry View Post
    Beautiful Eulogy
    And Newsboys, fairly new on the scene too
    Newsboys "Fairly new to the scene"? The Band came to the USA in 1988 and have had 17 albums. Not exactly new to the scene.

Comment

Stryper is good Christian metal band.

Comment

How's about a barber-shop quartet style?

Something to sing about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxUuH7-9PA

Let my heart be quiet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgThST2lvcI

This is the Will Of God:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXDxodTQZMA

Amazing!
        JER 14:13 Then said I: 'Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them: Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.'
        JER 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me: 'The prophets prophesy lies in My name; I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spoke I unto them; they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.

Comment

Music as three basic elements:

Beat
          pitch
          melody

The music that attracts most people is the music they grew up with. For example if I said the words "Amazing Grace....." most people who grew up in the church will immediately recall the beat, pitch, melody and complete the lyrics in their head. It will beckon some memory, or memories in them. They will have some sort of attachment to that song. It may be different to some than others. The hymn version beat will the 'One, Two, Three, Four....' while those who know the contemporary version will use 'and One and Two and Three and Four...'

Music people aren't familiar with or didn't grow up with will not penetrate their soul. It's just a fact. If we all transported back to King David's court and listened to him bang out a Psalm it would be noise and chaos to our ears, but beauty to theirs.

This is how music is.

Some of us are blessed with enjoying all kinds of music.

But NONE of it is about the style. A reading of Psalm 100 doesn't invoke culture or style. It invokes a culmination of daily worship and devotion in the form of a "joyous noise" in praise of our God.

God looks into our hearts. Men look at style. Any praise to the Lord via any "style" is an opportunity for us to "shout out" our praise. Doesn't matter if it's King David's music, whatever the Apostles sang, a hymn from 1620, a revised hymn from 1875, a revised revised hymn from 1940, 1975 or 2019, contemporary music, blues, country rap...whatever...who cares?

As far as any complainers of repetitive lyrics, check out Psalm 136 or a myriad of hymn with repeating lyrics.

As to content, there are a lot of songs in my hymnal that aren't Scriptural.

Discernment is key when we use lyrics to indoctrinate our souls.

Music as three basic elements:

Beat
          pitch
          melody

The music that attracts most people is the music they grew up with. For example if I said the words "Amazing Grace....." most people who grew up in the church will immediately recall the beat, pitch, melody and complete the lyrics in their head. It will beckon some memory, or memories in them. They will have some sort of attachment to that song. It may be different to some than others. The hymn version beat will the 'One, Two, Three, Four....' while those who know the contemporary version will use 'and One and Two and Three and Four...'

Music people aren't familiar with or didn't grow up with will not penetrate their soul. It's just a fact. If we all transported back to King David's court and listened to him bang out a Psalm it would be noise and chaos to our ears, but beauty to theirs.

This is how music is.

Some of us are blessed with enjoying all kinds of music.

But NONE of it is about the style. A reading of Psalm 100 doesn't invoke culture or style. It invokes a culmination of daily worship and devotion in the form of a "joyous noise" in praise of our God.

God looks into our hearts. Men look at style. Any praise to the Lord via any "style" is an opportunity for us to "shout out" our praise. Doesn't matter if it's King David's music, whatever the Apostles sang, a hymn from 1620, a revised hymn from 1875, a revised revised hymn from 1940, 1975 or 2019, contemporary music, blues, country rap...whatever...who cares?

As far as any complainers of repetitive lyrics, check out Psalm 136 or a myriad of hymn with repeating lyrics.

As to content, there are a lot of songs in my hymnal that aren't Scriptural.

Discernment is key when we use lyrics to indoctrinate our souls.
          Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Working...
          X