• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DavidC
    replied
    Re: Jonathon Edwards

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
    LOL! I heard a pastor say something one that made me laugh and sober at the same time. A member had come to him and said "This old lady said ABC about you." The pastor just laughed and said "Its a good thing she doesn't know me as well as Jesus does or she could have really told on me!" I thought it was the perfect way to deal with her gossip and the gossip of the person coming to the preacher. I loved it!

One of the things I love about Jesus... He knows all about us, and loves us anyway. He knows about faults in me that I am totally unaware of, and the ones that I know about, and still He loves me. Now that is true love and true friendship.
    That's a great way to handle gossip, I hope I remember what that Pastor did, staying calm, otherwise I would likely become angry and what to punch someone. lol

I am learning every single day how much Jesus loves me, but yet there is so much more!

Leave a comment:

• Brother Mark
    replied

Originally posted by DavidC View Post
    (TBH, you might not say that if you knew me in person.)
    LOL! I heard a pastor say something one that made me laugh and sober at the same time. A member had come to him and said "This old lady said ABC about you." The pastor just laughed and said "Its a good thing she doesn't know me as well as Jesus does or she could have really told on me!" I thought it was the perfect way to deal with her gossip and the gossip of the person coming to the preacher. I loved it!

One of the things I love about Jesus... He knows all about us, and loves us anyway. He knows about faults in me that I am totally unaware of, and the ones that I know about, and still He loves me. Now that is true love and true friendship.

Leave a comment:

• DavidC
    replied

You are such a blessing David! So glad to see your heart, eagerness, sincerity, and brotherly love. May God continue to bless you with such wonderful attitudes and thoughts!
    Thanks Mark, you are a blessing to me too, you are always edifying!

(TBH, you might not say that if you knew me in person.)

Leave a comment:

• Brother Mark
    replied

Thank you, Mark, you're right, it would be important for a person not to get so focused on these that we lose sight of what is most important. Kind of like one of the letters to the 7 churches, they forgot their first love.

It's a good reminder, I guess I kind of like reading the resolves and applying them in order to stay focused. Otherwise, I focus on stupid stuff - like video games. lol
    You are such a blessing David! So glad to see your heart, eagerness, sincerity, and brotherly love. May God continue to bless you with such wonderful attitudes and thoughts!

Leave a comment:

• DavidC
    replied

If I could say one verse in scripture that we, as believers, should focus on above all others, I would say it is this one:

2 Cor 11:3 But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
    NASB

When we are devoted to Christ, most everything takes care of itself. For instance, when we love our woman, we know what we should do and we want to do it. We do things out of love rather than duty and will power. That said, if the resolves help, then by all means resolve! Scripture talks about how Jesus "set his face like flint". That sounds like resovle to me.

Isa 50:7 For the Lord God helps Me,
    Therefore, I am not disgraced;
    Therefore, I have set My face like flint,
    And I know that I shall not be ashamed.
    NASB
    Thank you, Mark, you're right, it would be important for a person not to get so focused on these that we lose sight of what is most important. Kind of like one of the letters to the 7 churches, they forgot their first love.

It's a good reminder, I guess I kind of like reading the resolves and applying them in order to stay focused. Otherwise, I focus on stupid stuff - like video games. lol

Leave a comment:

• Brother Mark
    replied

What do you all think about this resolve from Jonathan? I think it's #7.

Resolved - never to do anything which I would be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

He had such an intense focus on time management, not to waste it. It got me to thinking, our hours, days and seconds are numbered and what will we do with them? In this time, God has given us opportunities, doors opened, we have to cease those moments before those doors are shut.

If God opens a door, we must go through it, we can't wait, there is no time to waste. I have to get on with what God has called me to do. I have only so much time!

It's just a matter of finding what that is. lol
    If I could say one verse in scripture that we, as believers, should focus on above all others, I would say it is this one:

2 Cor 11:3 But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
    NASB

When we are devoted to Christ, most everything takes care of itself. For instance, when we love our woman, we know what we should do and we want to do it. We do things out of love rather than duty and will power. That said, if the resolves help, then by all means resolve! Scripture talks about how Jesus "set his face like flint". That sounds like resovle to me.

Isa 50:7 For the Lord God helps Me,
    Therefore, I am not disgraced;
    Therefore, I have set My face like flint,
    And I know that I shall not be ashamed.
    NASB

Leave a comment:

• DavidC
    replied

What do you all think about this resolve from Jonathan? I think it's #7.

Resolved - never to do anything which I would be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

He had such an intense focus on time management, not to waste it. It got me to thinking, our hours, days and seconds are numbered and what will we do with them? In this time, God has given us opportunities, doors opened, we have to cease those moments before those doors are shut.

If God opens a door, we must go through it, we can't wait, there is no time to waste. I have to get on with what God has called me to do. I have only so much time!

It's just a matter of finding what that is. lol

Leave a comment:

• TrustGzus
    replied

We definitely could use another Great Awakening.

Leave a comment:

• Brother Mark
    replied

Have you read about this time period, if not, it's fascinating. It wasn't just in on3 place, one sermon or one pastor, although Jonathon Edwards was a key player that God used in a great way.
    It would be awesome if that happened now!
    I was reading some on it today David. To me, it sounds like the pre-awakening period was very similar to what we are seeing in today's generation. It gave me a lot of hope!

Leave a comment:

• DavidC
    replied

I have heard some say that this message was the beginning of the Great Awakening.
    Have you read about this time period, if not, it's fascinating. It wasn't just in on3 place, one sermon or one pastor, although Jonathon Edwards was a key player that God used in a great way.
    It would be awesome if that happened now!

Leave a comment:

• Brother Mark
    replied

Originally posted by Jude View Post
    You certainly won't hear any mega church preachers preach the way Jonathan preached..

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/...s.sinners.html

Jude
    I have heard some say that this message was the beginning of the Great Awakening.

Leave a comment:

• TrustGzus
    replied

He is one of my favorites. I like his resove to act godly and glorify God, even when no one else will, that is what I want to attain to.

It seems people compromise their faith and beliefs, and I don't want to.

I have been learning quit a bit from reading his books.

Do you read him?
    I need to read him. I have a 2-volume set of his on my shelf that I need to read.

Leave a comment:

• DavidC
    replied

Originally posted by Jude View Post
    You certainly won't hear any mega church preachers preach the way Jonathan preached..

Jude
    That book is on my next read, thank you for the link! I may start it earlier than planned. lol

While researching Jonathan Edwards, I happened to stumble upon Steve Lawson, I like him too.

Leave a comment:

• DavidC
    replied

Originally posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Are you saying he’s your favorite? I ask because you say one resolve affected you.
    He is one of my favorites. I like his resove to act godly and glorify God, even when no one else will, that is what I want to attain to.

It seems people compromise their faith and beliefs, and I don't want to.

I have been learning quit a bit from reading his books.

Do you read him?

Leave a comment:

• Jude
    replied

Jude

Leave a comment:

Working...
X