Any wingshooters on the board ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any wingshooters on the board ?

Dove season opens next weekend here in Alabama. It's one of my favorite times of the year concerning the outdoors. What birds do you guys hunt , if any ?

Re: Any wingshooters on the board ?

I love to dove hunt but it's been years since I have been able to go. Quail hunting is also loads of fun. Unfortunately, the wild quail have about disappeared in the south east. Rabbits are tons of fun to hunt too. Mostly, I deer hunt these days.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Comment

I've hunted pheasant, quail, and turkey for birds. Never hunted any wetland birds. Mainly hunt deer and for the first time this year, I'm using a recurve bow during bow season. Oh, hunt rabbit and squirrel too.
      --
      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

Comment

The quail have taken a hit all over since farmers started using a lot of herbicides and no till.. But , I m seeing a slight resurgence in the last few years.

Comment

I once knew a gal who hunted quail with a 30-30. No joke. Head shots.
          Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
            I love to dove hunt but it's been years since I have been able to go. Quail hunting is also loads of fun. Unfortunately, the wild quail have about disappeared in the south east. Rabbits are tons of fun to hunt too. Mostly, I deer hunt these days.
            Rabbits? I've had enough of those in my yard to not need to go out and hunt them. Groundhogs too, I hate those things. My neighbor hunts and I gave him open permission to shoot any groundhogs he sees on my yard. When a groundhog appears it's just a matter of whether he shoots it before I do.

Comment

I haven't been hunting since I was a very much younger guy.

My dad forced me to learn as much as I could - just in case - and I've even had survival and other kinds of training over the years. I just got tired of the hunting. I don't actually enjoy it and to me it's just another good skill to be able to fall back on.
              Funnily enough while the hunting wasn't something I found fun I loved and still love being out in the woods and I can trap, run a trotline, make my own fishing pole, find edibles etc etc.
              I keep emergency kits in my house and in every vehicle and update them every year. I also keep stocks of seeds as well. And of course I have all kinds of traps and know how make the DIY ones.

I'm not actually worried about "the apocalypse" but I was raised on that old Cub Scout motto of being prepared and it just makes good sense to me.
              You never know what could happen and if worst comes to worst I won't ever have to worry about starving. I've got plenty of land, tools and a well so...
              "Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage."

Comment

That sounds very familiar

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                  I haven't been hunting since I was a very much younger guy.

My dad forced me to learn as much as I could - just in case - and I've even had survival and other kinds of training over the years. I just got tired of the hunting. I don't actually enjoy it and to me it's just another good skill to be able to fall back on.
                  Funnily enough while the hunting wasn't something I found fun I loved and still love being out in the woods and I can trap, run a trotline, make my own fishing pole, find edibles etc etc.
                  I keep emergency kits in my house and in every vehicle and update them every year. I also keep stocks of seeds as well. And of course I have all kinds of traps and know how make the DIY ones.

I'm not actually worried about "the apocalypse" but I was raised on that old Cub Scout motto of being prepared and it just makes good sense to me.
                  You never know what could happen and if worst comes to worst I won't ever have to worry about starving. I've got plenty of land, tools and a well so...
                  I'd like to learn more survival-type skills. I can imagine testing them for the first time might be stressful but I'd rather deal with a self-created stressful situation when I know I've got the option of going back to the car and driving home, than having to deal with it for the first time when the car's not much use because nowhere within 100 miles has any gas for sale.

Comment

I have been hunting since I was 6 years old. I hunt deer, waterfowel, rabbits, turkey, quail, partridge, squirrel, doves...pretty well anything I can stock my freezer with.

For small game, I use my single shot Remington .22 I have had since I started hunting.

Partridge, phesant, quail, doves I use my 20 gage with a #6.

Geese and ducks I use my 12 gage with 3" #2 magnums.

Deer I use my .50 inline CVA blackpowder. I have also shot a 350# Black Bear with it.

I went Elk hunting twice, both times I used my .303 British my dad brought home from the service. I used it when I went moose hunting when I lived back East.

My dad taught all of us kids how to survive in the wild: they are life lessons I will never forget, and have taught to my own children, and am now starting to teach to my youngest grandchildren. With survival skills and an unwaivering belief in Jesus Christ, you cannot go wrong.
                    "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
                    "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
                    Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

Comment

I have been hunting since I was a small boy. For birds and small animals i usually use my .22 Remington. When I was in Texas in 1990 I bought myself a Sako 375 H&H Magnum and I hunt pretty much anything with it. The first buck I shot with it was fallow deer and I shot 2 bucks with 1 shot. (Every one was impressed except me.)

Comment

This guy doesn't need a shotgun.

Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

That's funny. I've had fish jump in the boat before , but I've seen nothing like this.

Any Snipe hunters here ? I'd love to carry one of yall !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pbminimum View Post
                            That's funny. I've had fish jump in the boat before , but I've seen nothing like this.

Any Snipe hunters here ? I'd love to carry one of yall !!!
                            You use a bag or a net?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                              You use a bag or a net?
                              Always a bag. The little jokers can squeak through the holes in the net.

Comment

Working...
                              X