Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible Journaling

...of the artistic kind.

I have a few questions or concerns about this. I didn't even know it existed until I randomly ended up in a group of ladies that did it. And I'm sorry in advance for how critical these comments will sound, but...

1) I have a tendency to agree with my mom and think it's unsettling to ruin a perfectly good Bible with decoupage. I mean, I get that Christianity doesn't hold the same standard of respect for their physical scriptural books as Muslims or Jews, but turning it into a frilly art project? I don't know.

2) All the examples of such projects seem really shallow. I mean, if you're going to spend all that money on a 2,000+ page book AND all the art supplies to turn it into a book of collages, I'd want it to be meaningful enough to make a lasting impression on me, you know? But instead, the art work covers up most of the context of the one verse they illustrate, and the illustrations are either very literal, or so abstract it doesn't matter. And they're either instantly forgettable, or, if you do remember them, it's for the art, itself, not the message. Also (and this is might due to my extremely limited time with the subject), but the verses chosen to do this on are rather... basic anyway. I dare someone to decoupage a verse from the book of Leviticus or Judges.

3) Does this practice help anyone with understanding, studying, or appreciating God's word at all? I can see it as a meditative practice, but can't you buy a blank journal book and just do all that there? Why plaster frilly stuff over the actual text of a printed Bible?

Re: Bible Journaling

I know someone close to me who bought one, for the following reasons: 1) the lined margins had more space for note-taking than the "note-taker's" Bible, 2) the cost was half the price of the other; 3) the cover and binding was of a higher quality than the other. The only thing she didn't like about it was the words stamped on the binding: "Journaling Bible".

The first thought that came to my mind was, "you can't judge a book by its cover"

Comment

Yeah, I've seen those special Bibles made for journaling and I'm glad they actually provide space for the artwork, so you're not covering up the text (though, people still do take up the entire page for some reason). But the people I met were buying typical Bibles to use, which really irritated me for some reason.

After years of watching my mother make careful, tiny notes in her Bible and constantly pulling it out to read entire passages and make sound arguments and judgements, referencing the concordance and footnotes, comparing chapters, debating different interpretations and commentaries... To slap glitter and scrapbooking paper over a page just to write "God cares for the sparrows" on it seems... toddler-esk.

Again, I get that I'm being horribly harsh and offensive to someone out there. And I'm sorry. But I'm also rather offended by this practice. So... I'm not all the way sorry.

Comment

The main thing is that they are into their Bibles. Different people learn and study in different ways.
        Per Hebrew 13:3 please "Remember those in prison": http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay....secuted-Church

Acts 21 Now they have been informed about you that you continually teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn back from and forsake Moses...Therefore do just what we tell you....thus everybody will know that there is no truth in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself walk in observance of the Law of Moses.

Comment

Working...
        X