A covenant for just one nation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A covenant for just one nation?

I have always wondered why Ancient Israelites did not spread the good news about Abraham's covenant to other ethnic groups.

The idolatrous cults of the ancient Near East features ritual prostitution and child sacrifice. So many women and children could be saved if these pagans converted to the Abrahamic religions. In the period around 500 BC, an Israelite preacher could bring monotheism to Greece, this was the time philosophers started to question the gods of mythology. In India, Ashoka sent missionaries to spread Buddhism around the world, so why didn't any Israelite ruler attempt to spread Abrahamic monotheism?

Blazkovitz,
    Please review the board posting guidelines:
    https://bibleforums.org/forum/announ...ines#post81459

Specifically this item:
    Those who are not Christians
    Bibleforums is a place where Christians can fellowship and discuss the Bible and matters relevant to the Christian faith. Special forums are provided for all others. During your time here, should you find yourself convinced of the saving grace of Christ Jesus, access to the entire board will become open to you for posting. Until then, you have posting privileges in the Christians Answer forum, and Areopagus, and respectful behavior is expected while posting within those forums. (Please read the sticky in Christians Answer for specific rules for posting in that forum). You may submit requests for prayer in the Prayer forum, but may not post in the prayer requests of others. You are also permitted to submit one introduction post in Introductions.

So basically, you may post :
    • an introduction post in the Introductions subforum
    • any prayer request in the Prayer subforum
    • discussion items in the Areopagus subforum
    • and most importantly, questions regarding how to become a Christian in the Christian Answers subforum
    • also if you have any questions for the ModStaff team, you may start a thread in the Chat to the moderators subforum

Jesus is YHWH the eternal Great I AM.
    • Jesus said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I AM from above: ye are of this world; I AM not of this world. if ye believe not that I AM He, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:23
    • " I YHWH the LORD, the first, and with the last; I AM He. Thus saith YHWH the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer YHWH the LORD of hosts; I AM the first, and I AM the last; and beside me there is no God.” Isaiah 41:4,44:6
    • "And [the son of Man] laid his right hand upon me, saying Fear not; I AM the first and the last: I AM He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I AM alive for evermore. These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive" Rev 1:17, 2:8
    • "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." Rev 22:12

Comment

Originally posted by Blazkovitz View Post
      I have always wondered why Ancient Israelites did not spread the good news about Abraham's covenant to other ethnic groups.

The idolatrous cults of the ancient Near East features ritual prostitution and child sacrifice. So many women and children could be saved if these pagans converted to the Abrahamic religions. In the period around 500 BC, an Israelite preacher could bring monotheism to Greece, this was the time philosophers started to question the gods of mythology. In India, Ashoka sent missionaries to spread Buddhism around the world, so why didn't any Israelite ruler attempt to spread Abrahamic monotheism?
      Welcome to Bibleforums Blazkovitz!

Interesting question. Have you read the book of Jonah (~750 BC)?

Jonah 3:1-9
      And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying, Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee. So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey. And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water: But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands. Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?

We can see also in the Book of Daniel some pretty amazing witness of God to a pagan nation. Look up the story of the three Hebrew children and Daniel's witness to the ruler of Babylon.

So the question still remains why all Hebrews did not have the responsibility to have always "spread the good news" to the world as you say. I think the best answer I can give you is that it wasn't God's plan for that. The story of the Bible is God's plan of redemption for ALL humanity, so God agrees with you that the good news should be preached to all peoples. But His plan was to do that Himself through Jesus Christ who He brought forth through the line of Abraham / Jacob (Israel) / Judah / David to minister atonement for all, to reconcile all to God. In this, God left no doubt what was to be preached and to whom, fulfilling the responsibility you clearly see in all of this. After Jesus had been put to death on the cross, buried, and rose the third day, He appeared to the disciples (Apostles) and we have this in the Gospel of Matthew:

Matthew 28:16-20 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The above is known as the Great Commission and it is the responsibility of the believing Christian to propagate the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all.
      Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Working...
      X