Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contraceptives - intrauterine devices and the role of men

Hi everyone,

With my last girlfriend I had some discussion about contraceptives. I'd like to avoid this for a next relationship by knowing my point of view well and by being able to explain the mechanisms and the safety of each contraceptive method. One of the methods that's being used often in my country is the intrauterine device (IUD). I've primarily created this topic because I'm not sure if it's ethically right to use such a method. Although I'm not a Christian, I think you will have a better understanding of my issues than non-Christians - that's why I created the topic on this forum.

With the oral contraceptive pill, pregnancy is primarily prevented by preventing ovulation and by thickening the cervical mucus, making it harder for sperm to reach the egg.

With the intrauterine device there seems to be a lot of uncertainty on how it works. A number of mechanisms are mentioned, but no one seems to know which is the most important one. Possibly, the intrauterine device is so safe because an egg can't implant after it's been fertilized. Not a lot of research has been done on this topic.

Even without contraceptives, a fertilized egg would be able to implant in only about 50% of the cases. Even so, I don't like the idea that, possibly, an important part of the mechanism occurs after fertilization, after some form of life has already been created.

For this reason, I may prefer that a future girlfriend would use the oral contraceptive pill instead. But of course the woman can choose what she puts in her body.

Therefore, I have 2 questions:
    • Do you think it's wrong for women to use an intrauterine device?
    • Do you think it's wrong, as a man, to have sex with a woman that uses an intrauterine device

Re: Contraceptives - intrauterine devices and the role of men

Originally posted by Leapfrog View Post
    • Do you think it's wrong, as a man, to have sex with a woman that uses an intrauterine device
    I'll add a third...

Do you think it's wrong to have sex with your girlfriend before marriage? Yes.
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
      I'll add a third...

Do you think it's wrong to have sex with your girlfriend before marriage? Yes.
      Okay, and what if you assume that we would be married and not ready for kids? Whether sex before marriage is okay is an entirely different discussion

Comment

What does that matter, what we may or may not assume. The fact is...you said she is your 'girlfriend'. That means YOU are saying you're not married.

Scripture is pretty clear about this....
        Hebrews 13:4
        Marriage is honourable in all,
        and the bed undefiled:
        but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

If a man really cares for his girlfriend, he won't defile her name and reputation. He will marry her and then sleep with her. PERIOD!
        If he does not really care for her, he'll just hop into bed with her, not caring that he's defiling her reputation. And often, he'll do the same with anyone who is available. (Hopping around and perhaps playing...'leapfrog'?)

But it's God who will judge them. Not any of us. So what we assume makes no difference.
        My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

Originally posted by Diggindeeper View Post
          What does that matter, what we may or may not assume. The fact is...you said she is your 'girlfriend'. That means YOU are saying you're not married.

Scripture is pretty clear about this....
          Hebrews 13:4
          Marriage is honourable in all,
          and the bed undefiled:
          but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

If a man really cares for his girlfriend, he won't defile her name and reputation. He will marry her and then sleep with her. PERIOD!
          If he does not really care for her, he'll just hop into bed with her, not caring that he's defiling her reputation. And often, he'll do the same with anyone who is available. (Hopping around and perhaps playing...'leapfrog'?)

But it's God who will judge them. Not any of us. So what we assume makes no difference.
          I was never trying to say I was married. I was trying to make clear that this is not what the discussion is about. That's why I said "assume we're married". I understand that making love to someone you're not married to is against your values, and there's nothing wrong with such an opinion. But I hope you also accept that someone who's not a Christian, like me, might have other values than you. And no, I don't just have sex with every girl. I found that part of your post very judgemental....

Is there anyone who has an opinion about the topic I started?

Comment

We gave our opinion. Mine is Hebrews 13:4.

This is a Bible Message board. Do you expect to get non-Christian replies from us?? That won't happen...
            My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

Hi everyone,

With my last girlfriend I had some discussion about contraceptives. I'd like to avoid this for a next relationship by knowing my point of view well and by being able to explain the mechanisms and the safety of each contraceptive method. One of the methods that's being used often in my country is the intrauterine device (IUD). I've primarily created this topic because I'm not sure if it's ethically right to use such a method. Although I'm not a Christian, I think you will have a better understanding of my issues than non-Christians - that's why I created the topic on this forum.

With the oral contraceptive pill, pregnancy is primarily prevented by preventing ovulation and by thickening the cervical mucus, making it harder for sperm to reach the egg.

With the intrauterine device there seems to be a lot of uncertainty on how it works. A number of mechanisms are mentioned, but no one seems to know which is the most important one. Possibly, the intrauterine device is so safe because an egg can't implant after it's been fertilized. Not a lot of research has been done on this topic.

Even without contraceptives, a fertilized egg would be able to implant in only about 50% of the cases. Even so, I don't like the idea that, possibly, an important part of the mechanism occurs after fertilization, after some form of life has already been created.

For this reason, I may prefer that a future girlfriend would use the oral contraceptive pill instead. But of course the woman can choose what she puts in her body.

Hello Leapfrog,

Welcome to the Christian board.

Your questions and comments are more than welcomed on here so they can be considered and answered.

Just be aware as Christians we believe in the teachings of the word of God, so our answers will be within the boundaries and limits of these guidelines.

So we hope we may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Q.1. Do you think it's wrong for women to use an intrauterine device?

As a Christian I don’t have the right to judge the freewill choice of another person.

The bibles perspective on contraceptives would only apply to Christian married couples who through mutual consent would get to decide on which contraceptive option they believe would best meet there need, unless this was an issue for there denomination.

If contraceptives are an issue for their denomination, they would need to discuss this with their pastor so they could understand the denominations position and what the denominations guidelines are in relation to this subject.

In your situation it could be her decision alone or it could be a mutual decision, but you need to understand that because you don’t submit yourself to any governing authority which is your free choice, we can only give you an adequate answer within the bibles guidelines.

Q.2. Do you think it's wrong, as a man, to have sex with a woman that uses an intrauterine device.

As a Christian I don’t have the right to judge the freewill choice of another person.

The bibles perspective is that any sexual immorality between unmarried couples is not permitted, now as a Christian if you asked me that question I would share the bibles perspective with you and also say I support the bibles position, but I must also obey this teaching myself or I would be a hypocrite.

In your situation intimacy with a person with a intrauterine device would be irrelevant because you are not subject to any governing authority therefore you are free to do as you please.

As Christians we don’t agree with people’s choices, but we are not allowed to judge them for exercising their freewill, we support the bibles perspective and its position on these subjects, but we are accepting of peoples choices, so one day they may receive salvation.

This may not have been what you wanted to hear, but we must remain within the guidelines of our Fathers word and its teachings.

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Sam07 View Post
                Hello Leapfrog,

Welcome to the Christian board.

Your questions and comments are more than welcomed on here so they can be considered and answered.

Just be aware as Christians we believe in the teachings of the word of God, so our answers will be within the boundaries and limits of these guidelines.

So we hope we may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Q.1. Do you think it's wrong for women to use an intrauterine device?

The bibles perspective on contraceptives would only apply to Christian married couples who through mutual consent would get to decide on which contraceptive option they believe would best meet there need, unless this was an issue for there denomination.

If contraceptives are an issue for their denomination, they would need to discuss this with their pastor so they could understand the denominations position and what the denominations guidelines are in relation to this subject.

In your situation it could be her decision alone or it could be a mutual decision, but you need to understand that because you don’t submit yourself to any governing authority which is your free choice, we can only give you an adequate answer within the bibles guidelines.

Q.2. Do you think it's wrong, as a man, to have sex with a woman that uses an intrauterine device.

The bibles perspective is that any sexual immorality between unmarried couples is not permitted, now as a Christian if you asked me that question I would share the bibles perspective with you and also say I support the bibles position, but I must also obey this teaching myself or I would be a hypocrite.

In your situation intimacy with a person with a intrauterine device would be irrelevant because you are not subject to any governing authority therefore you are free to do as you please.

As Christians we don’t agree with people’s choices, but we are not allowed to judge them for exercising their freewill, we support the bibles perspective and its position on these subjects, but we are accepting of peoples choices, so one day they may receive salvation.

This may not have been what you wanted to hear, but we must remain within the guidelines of our Fathers word and its teachings.

Peace
                Hi Sam, thanks for your reply. I think it's good that you don't judge. However, I think we could still get a discussion going about this topic. The fact that I don't see the Bible as the Book of God doesn't mean that I should just do whatever I want; I also want to do what's good for other people, although I may not have the Bible to rely upon. For example, I think it's wrong to steal or to kill, as we would all agree upon, whether you believe in the Bible or not.

Similarly, we could get a discussion going about whether the intrauterine device is ethical or not. For the purpose of the discussion, let's assume a situation where 2 people are in a marriage.

Comment

Hi Sam, thanks for your reply. I think it's good that you don't judge. However, I think we could still get a discussion going about this topic. The fact that I don't see the Bible as the Book of God doesn't mean that I should just do whatever I want; I also want to do what's good for other people, although I may not have the Bible to rely upon. For example, I think it's wrong to steal or to kill, as we would all agree upon, whether you believe in the Bible or not.

Similarly, we could get a discussion going about whether the intrauterine device is ethical or not. For the purpose of the discussion, let's assume a situation where 2 people are in a marriage.
                  hi

I think you should see a doctor and get a professional consultation to help answer all the unanswered questions you have, in relation to this topic.

Peace

Comment

[1] Yes, I personally don't like the IUDs (either plastic or copper) for various reasons.
                    • Depending on one's definition of pregnant, IUDs can be seen as abortifacients. They cause the inner lining of the uterus to be too thin to prepare to hold a fertilized egg. Ergo, the fertilized is flushed out of the body. I have a moral, ethical, and Christian problem with that. IUDs are supposed to work as a spermicide, but they also sometimes give the fertilized egg no hope of attaching to the uterus.
                    • The risks are too high and out weigh the advantage of not having to take oral contraceptives for 5 to 10 years. Possible perforation of the uterus scares me. I know it's rare, but to me it's not worth the risk.

[2] As a man, if you have the belief that IUDs are acting sometimes as abortifacients, then yes, for you, it would be wrong to have sex with a woman that uses an IUD. Also, not necessarily as a man, but as a human being, you should be taking precautions against STDs since you have had at least one partner and are planning on having another. The only way for you as a man to do that is with condoms. Whether your next girlfriend has an IUD or not, you should be wearing condoms which would solve the STD AND the pregnancy problem for the most part. Condoms don't always work.

Now, coming here to a Christian forum and asking the questions you are asking please don't take anyone's reply as offensive. You KNOW what you are going to hear.

We believe in abstinence before marriage. We believe that God ordained it that way. It's our hearts desire that you become a believer, NOT for contraception's sake, but for your sake. It all starts with God's love for us. He loves us in a way that I can't describe with words. Some people see him as a grouchy old man just waiting to bash us over the head for our sins, but that's not so.

He loves us. Secondly, he draws us to him and we choose to or not to love him in return. That love springs forth a trust. That trust springs forth obedience. That obedience springs forth an abundant life.

No, it's not all rainbow and candyland, but it is abundant and full. I'll be praying for you.
                    sigpic
                    ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Is there anyone who has an opinion about the topic I started?

My opinion is that anything that is not naturally a part of our bodies that is placed inside us, to prevent this or that, is a risk that things could go wrong for our health.

To me healthwise it would be better to use a condom with the covering of marriage of course, with me being a Christian, be blessed
                      It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

Hi Leapfrog. It would seem even though you say you are not a Christian you are asking this group to provide a Christian answer to the ethical nature of your question. Here is my attempt.

First, the purpose of the sexual relationship between man and wife is to procreate and fulfill God's ultimate plan which is to have a family of children (Sons and daughters of God via adoption via the saving blood of Jesus). Therefore it can be inferred that anything that interferes with this plan is unethical. This by the way is the Catholic position regarding all forms of contraception except the natural path called the "rhythm method". Most protestants take a more relaxed position since the Bible understandably is silent on the issue.However if you agree with the purpose of sex and you are a true believer and you trust God completely, then you should be able to allow all sex to be unprotected and trust God to limit your family or provide for the family He gives you.

Again, as everyone else here has said, this is a condition for marriage only. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi everyone,

No sex until marriage is wonderful contraception and it is the only method a Christian should need prior to marriage. If you are simply wanting advice on what birth control works best, your health care provider would be a better source of information than a Bible forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X