This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT How Am I Saved?

Why Do I Need To Be Saved? Saved From What?

If you’re here as an agnostic or an atheist, as a seeker or a skeptic, or perhaps one who has simply lost their way; these are probably the questions that you’ve asked yourself. Here we are going to try and answer them for you. Please feel free to start a thread here if you have have more questions or need clarification or help understanding a point.

Now here's the really big question:
    If God really exists, and let’s face it, you can’t prove He doesn’t (because it is an attempt to prove a universal negative; which is a logical contradiction) and He were to ask you: “Why should I let you into My heaven?”; what do you think your answer would be?

It might run along the lines of “I’ve been a good person”, “I’ve never hurt anybody”, “I’ve gone to church all my life”, “I’ve always helped people who needed help”, “I don’t lie, cheat or steal” etc.

That’s all well and good, but God tells us in His word that we are measured against God’s standards, not man’s standards; and that brings us to the problem.

• We have all sinned against God (broken His laws)

Have you ever told a lie (no matter how small)? Have you ever taken something that didn’t belong to you? Have you ever broken ANY of the Ten Commandments even once? The bible says that we have all sinned (broken God’s commandments).
    Romans 3:10 states: “As it is written: “ There is none righteous, no, not one…”
    Romans 3:23 tells us: “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”

You see, when we are measured against God’s standard of perfection, we all fail miserably. That’s you, me, and everybody! We are all guilty of “crimes” (sinning) against God.

• There is a penalty to be paid for our sin

Just like being found guilty in a court of law where there is a penalty to pay; there is a penalty for our crimes against God, and that penalty is death and Hell.
    Romans 6:23(a) states: “For the wages of sin is death…”
    Ezekiel 18:4 says: Behold, all souls are Mine; The soul of the father As well as the soul of the son is Mine; The soul who sins shall die.”

Although that may seem harsh, God told us from the beginning that this would be the result of what we earn by our sin. Let’s face it, if someone committed a crime against you and the judge said “It’s ok, I know you didn’t really mean it” and let him go; that judge would not be a very good judge, would he? So it is with God who is a righteous judge: He can’t just wink at sin and let it go. The penalty must be paid, the sentence served.

That’s the bad news…But there is some good news also!

• God loves you and has made a way out for you.

Remember Romans 6:23 (above)? The rest of the verse says: but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
    Romans 5:8 says this: But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

Let’s go back to the courtroom for a second…there you stand, but now the judge is your dad. He looks and says to you: “You know that I love you, but you’ve broken the law and I have no choice but to declare you...’guilty’”…and the gavel comes down.

But then an amazing thing happens. The judge (who’s your dad) takes off his robes, comes down from the bench, stands in front of you and with a tear in his eye says: “I’ll do your sentence for you, if you’ll let me”

This is a picture of what God in His love for us has done for us through Jesus Christ. God knows that there’s no way we could “clean ourselves up” first, so He made the first move. It’s a mind boggling thought to think of God coming in the form of a man, and then suffering on a Roman cross to take upon Himself the penalty for our sin. But that’s exactly what happened. In the illustration above…if you let the judge do your sentence for you, you would be “forgiven” of that crime.

In fact Romans 8:1 tells us this very thing: There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus”

But just like in that illustration, there is the condition: “If you’ll let me”. Forgiveness is available, but it’s not automatic. It’s a gift, and just like any gift it can be refused.

There will be a cost to follow Jesus, have no doubt about it! You may lose friends, people may tell you that you’re crazy, there are things that you’ll find that you just don’t want to do anymore. But weigh all this against the assurance that when this life is over you’ll be with your loving Father in Heaven…then make your decision.
    • So how do I accept the gift of forgiveness and eternal life?

Romans 10:9-10 gives the answer: that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
    • It’s so simple that a child can understand it.

1. We agree with God that we’ve sinned against Him.
    2. We repent (turn away) from our sin and turn toward Jesus.
    3. We believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sin, and that He’s alive today.
    4. We ask Him to come into our heart and life, to be our Savior and our Lord, placing our trust and faith in Him.
    5. We do that by prayer.

You might say a prayer something like this:

"Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, that I have done things that I shouldn't have done. I'm sorry for my sin, and I don't want to do it anymore. I believe that you died for me and my sins on the cross; I believe that you rose again from the dead and are alive today. Lord, right now I ask you to come into my heart and my life, and I receive you as my Savior, and my Lord. Help me now to live for you, and thank you for saving me! I pray it in Jesus' name, Amen".

You have God’s word that if you have prayed this prayer and meant it, then you have become a forgiven child of God. All your sins have been forgiven and you’ve become a new creation in Jesus Christ.

If you have just made a decision to receive Jesus Christ as your Savior and your Lord, please start a thread in Chat to the Moderators here:

http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=84

and let us know so that we can welcome you to the family of God, and help as you start this new life!
    Ιησούς Χριστός ο κυριος μου και ο θεος μου

****When the Lord opens a door, don't walk through it....run full speed; if it's the wrong one He'll let ya know...sometimes He just wants to see if you'll move at all!****

A Minister of God Ministry - Support and understanding for a Christian serving in the military
Working...
X