directions to facts from the bible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• directions to facts from the bible?

the bible is a collection of stories collected and interpreted to one book, is there real experts to explain the telling of the stories or are we relegated to take what is put in front of us and be
    satisfied that 'this is how it is'?

if this is the case, someone is bound to step up and say that our world is not evolving, and the stories are as believable as the easter bunny.

which would lead me to believe that all those people who read or will read the bible are as much the experts as those of us who haven't read it.

please point a way to answers.

Re: directions to facts from the bible?

Hi, miker28 and welcome to the Bibleforums.

I'm jayne. Thanks for your intellectual honesty in admitting that you have never read the Bible. I hope you will take my words here as truth as one who has read it many times over, studied the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek when possible, and as a former science teacher, has loved how the Bible proves legitimate science, history, and more. I'm a person of faith, but also of logic.

[1] The Bible is not just a collection of stories. Yes, there ARE stories in the Bible. There is also poetry, historical data, geographical data, testimonies, prophecies (that can be proven to have come true), genealogies, letters of teaching and admonishing, and more. The Bible was written over approximately 1,500 years or so by a wide variety of men.

[2] In a sense, faith in God's Word does lead us to being satisfied with "this is how it is", but at the same time there are examples of people in the Bible who craved evidence or proofs. One evidence to me is how the Bible from Genesis to the Revelation makes a message that is clear, precise, and that flows seamlessly from one voice to next even though these voices, these men, were 1,500 years apart, spoke different languages, came from different cultures, parts of the known world, and had vastly unique life experiences.

[3] Here's a few logic-based books for someone who hasn't read the Bible and is looking for "proof".
    • The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. Strobel has a journalism degree and a law degree from Yale University. As an atheist, he worked for 14 years for the Chicago Tribune. He set out to prove Christians and the Bible wrong and in his investigations, he found that he could not deny the truths of the Bibles and he became a Christian. His books are not sappy nor do they play to one's emotions. They are his journalistic proofs that what the Bible says is true.
    • Evidence That Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell. McDowell's story is similar. He was an agnostic as a young man and believed Christianity to be "worthless". After actually examining the Bible, he also could not deny the truth.
    • Finally, a book that I am reading and as a former science teacher find riveting, there is I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek.

But most importantly of all, read the actual Bible itself. God's Word is powerful and saves.

Come back and we can talk about this all you want.
    sigpic
    ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Working...
    X