The blasphemy against the holy spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blasphemy against the holy spirit

I not a Christian but I have a question that is been bothering me. I hope someone can give me some answer. I want to ask about the unpardonable sin mention in the bible. In Mark 3:28-30. it mentions a sin that god will not forgive, I have read some information regarding this and most are saying that this sin is a continuous rejection of the holy spirit. The one who done it will have no guilt and not interested and will never ask god for forgiveness. This is what worried me because I don't feel any conviction of sin. Does it mean I had already committed it?

I have come to known/heard about Jesus since I was quite young but I did choose not accept him. Is like I kept just saying no to Him and had continued on in the same sinful ways that I had been living in. When I sin, most of the time I feel no guilt afterwards and have no regrets later about it. I read from the bible there will come a time when a person had resist the holy spirit so much he stops convicting him of sin and left the person to result in he will never be saved.

One heart will get more and
    more harden until his heart had permanently hardened against god. You try to repent and you can't repent. You can't be genuinely sorry for your sin or turn away from it. Judas and Esau are the examples of this. In Hebrews 12:17. He sought repentance with tears but couldn't find it. Am I like them? Have tried to feel guilt but all that I get is feeling that I can't feel it. Do you think I'm beyond forgiveness? Did I commit the unforgivable sin?

Re: The blasphemy against the holy spirit

My understanding is the human conscience will usually only make you feel bad when you harm someone else (except sociopaths), which is normal human nature. When a person hears God's voice and believes in Jesus, they receive the Holy Spirit to guide them in the way they should go; one of his tasks is to help keep us from sinning (1 Cor. 10:13), and another is convicting us when we do sin against God (2 Cor. 7:10). The fact you have these questions at all tells me it's not too late to respond to the gospel. I will leave you with a portion of Psalm 95:

Today, if you will hear His voice: Do not harden your hearts

Comment

The concept of "blasphemy against the Spirit" is mentioned in Mark 3:22-30 and Matthew 12:22-32. The term blasphemy may be generally defined as "defiant irreverence." This case of blasphemy is a specific one, called "the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" in Matthew 12:31. In Matthew 12:31-32, the Pharisees, having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that the Lord was possessed by the demon "Beelzebub" (Matthew 12:24). Now notice that in Mark 3:30 Jesus is very specific about what they did to commit "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit." These Pharisees were obviously not believers to commit such a sin.

Jesus Christ is not on earth—He is seated at the right hand of God. No one can witness Jesus Christ performing a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit. The sin that is unpardonable for us is the state of continued unbelief.
      Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by plalo View Post
        I not a Christian but I have a question that is been bothering me. I hope someone can give me some answer. I want to ask about the unpardonable sin mention in the bible. In Mark 3:28-30. it mentions a sin that god will not forgive, I have read some information regarding this and most are saying that this sin is a continuous rejection of the holy spirit. The one who done it will have no guilt and not interested and will never ask god for forgiveness. This is what worried me because I don't feel any conviction of sin. Does it mean I had already committed it?

I have come to known/heard about Jesus since I was quite young but I did choose not accept him. Is like I kept just saying no to Him and had continued on in the same sinful ways that I had been living in. When I sin, most of the time I feel no guilt afterwards and have no regrets later about it. I read from the bible there will come a time when a person had resist the holy spirit so much he stops convicting him of sin and left the person to result in he will never be saved.

One heart will get more and
        more harden until his heart had permanently hardened against god. You try to repent and you can't repent. You can't be genuinely sorry for your sin or turn away from it. Judas and Esau are the examples of this. In Hebrews 12:17. He sought repentance with tears but couldn't find it. Am I like them? Have tried to feel guilt but all that I get is feeling that I can't feel it. Do you think I'm beyond forgiveness? Did I commit the unforgivable sin?

You made some statements here that are worthy of consideration. One is that this very question has been bothering you and that you are worried. Don't focus on "feeling guilt". While we do experience that to different degrees it's really not an indication of anything. Feeling guilt is something that is hardwired to the human.

Would you do me a favor? Would you take a few minutes and read Romans chapter 1-3? I want you to read the context so my response makes sense.

Paul is going to illustrate the sinfulness of man throughout these chapters. In chapter 1 starting with verse 18 he begins to describe the gentile. Note the behaviors and lack of conviction here. In chapter 2 it's a focus on the Jew and in case you thought you slipped right by Paul has you covered in chapter 3 stating that ALL men are sinners.

I want you to think about why God wouldn't forgive a sin, or what makes a certain action unpardonable. Afterall we know that if we confess our sins Christ is faithful to pardon them all.

1Jn 1:9**If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
        There is a juxtaposition in 1 John where we fall into sin and error but yet we can turn to Jesus Christ for forgiveness and He is faithful to forgive. It's part of who He is and the position that he takes as our high priest. Think of all the times Israel fell into sin and yet God made a way for them to be healed. It is likewise the same here.

So if Christ pardon's all confessed sin how is there an action that is unpardonable?

Mar 3:22**And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, "He is possessed by Beelzebul," and "by the prince of demons he casts out the demons."
        You have to remember Romans chapter 2 in light of this text. At the beginning of Mark chapter 3 Jesus healed a man on the Sabbath. The Pharisees here didn't rejoice at the healing. Think about that. How hard hearted do you have to be that physically witnessing this wasn't enough to stir you up to give praise to God. Instead they were focused on the fact that this all took place on the Sabbath. They were so tied down to this law that even when God Himself is moving and at work they cannot see it.

They were so blind to Christ that even the actions in verses 7-12 are of no use. If you would have been alive during that time you would have perhaps even known some of the people that were being healed. Imagine seeing a friend healed from cancer and then see the local Religious leaders speak out against this great action.

That is what was happening. They saw Christ preform supernatural miracles. Miracles that could only be done by God and they were being done in an overabundance. Yet these Pharisees attributed the works to Satan.

This is an indication of their unconverted heart. The sin cannot be pardoned because they don't seek out the pardon. They don't fall on their knees before Christ. They don't seek atonement. They think that through their own actions they are holy. Their god was the law and they held on to that checklist of actions in spite of God preforming miracles right before them. You see their depravity because when God is moving they attribute that to Satan. Can you imagine? A multitude healed without doubt right before your eyes so you blame it on evil because of the day that it took place.

They were in a unique situation. They were literally right there with Jesus Christ and they attributed these super natural movements to the Devil. This is a unique transgression in the sense that it cannot be replicated today. Charismatics like to think so when people cast doubt on what they believe to be real but ultimately this sin was against a living and physically present Christ whom was preforming miracles that was right before their eyes. Out of their own vitriolic hate they denied Christ.

It's argued that this very action cannot be replicated. Surely when you are unrepentant you are in a similar state but I am not sure you can sin the way the Pharisees did here.

The same goes for Judas. Remember he was with Christ as a disciple but was sinfully unrepentant along the way.

You are not the same, OP. With each passing moment you can acknowledge your own sinful state. Do you see yourself within the text of Romans 1-3? You should because Paul wrote it that way. But remember that there is High Priest in Jesus Christ that can forgive your sins. Don't focus on how much guilt you feel. Salvation isn't about feelings and if you aren't a Christian you shouldn't be surprised to find yourself hard hearted. When the bible calls an action a sin do you find yourself guilty? Look no further than the 9th or 10th commandment. If you have lied or ever wanted something that someone else has you are guilty of breaking the law. The more you study God's word the more you will see this true. Understanding that guilt should drive you to Christ because in the end you cannot personally atone for your own transgressions.

Christianity is the understanding that we fall far short daily and need a Savior and High Priest that atones for our Sins. We have that in Christ. OP, please give this some thought. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow. But in this very moment you can come before Christ and ask for forgiveness, ask to be covered in the blood and cleansed from all unrighteousness. He is faithful, OP.
        Originally posted by Job 34:19
        God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Comment

"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven." There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

What is meant by "final impenitence" here is death. If you at death you reject God's forgiveness of sins you have then committed the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit as after death there is no opportunity for forgiveness.

I have come to known/heard about Jesus since I was quite young but I did choose not accept him. Is like I kept just saying no to Him and had continued on in the same sinful ways that I had been living in. When I sin, most of the time I feel no guilt afterwards and have no regrets later about it. I read from the bible there will come a time when a person had resist the holy spirit so much he stops convicting him of sin and left the person to result in he will never be saved
          Your life is not over and you do not know what tomorrow may bring. Seems you are so mired in sin your conscience has become dull. So you have discovered the obvious living apart from God saying no to Life is only saying yes to death.

The Holy Spirit is still at work God is always at work and He is Merciful.

One heart will get more and more harden until his heart had permanently hardened against god. You try to repent and you can't repent. You can't be genuinely sorry for your sin or turn away from it. Judas and Esau are the examples of this. In Hebrews 12:17. He sought repentance with tears but couldn't find it. Am I like them? Have tried to feel guilt but all that I get is feeling that I can't feel it. Do you think I'm beyond forgiveness? Did I commit the unforgivable sin?
          You are not so dead that you have stopped looking for answers and no one is beyond forgiveness. You have not committed the unforgivable sin. Ask Him to show you the Truth. Feel free to send me some mail to my inbox here.

Comment

Working...
          X