Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you Believe?

Originally posted by That one Atheist View Post
    Sojourner sorry for taking so long I was very busy and I don't always have time to reply to this. For your first question, I believe in the big bang and its true we may never know EXACTLY what happened to create the universe and all of us in general but there is more proof for the big bang and some of the more scientific explanations for our existence such as the redshift something observable and proof that our universe is ever expanding. And for your second question, I don't know that much about this circumcision thing in the bible but if memory serves circumcision is an ancient Egyptian custom used to represent the coming of age of young boys but when Egypt was conquered by the Greeks the practice died out and was later revived with the rise of Christianity and with circumcision being such an old custom even before the rise of Christianity it would be possible that the practice of circumcision was still a known medical procedure as in the time of Christianity circumcision was still used all over africa
    Actually, a lot of Evangelical Christians believe in the Big Bang and the red shift being evidence of an expanded universe. I assume that you are already well aware of that.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

Why do you Believe in God?
      I met Him when I was younger.

How did you first start to worship?
      I'm not sure I understand the question.

Were you Born in to it?
      My parents were a mix of Lutheran and Catholic who settled in the middle, so yes, but with a little 'b'.

Did you convert? If so why? Im generally interested to see the reasons why people worship. Feel free to ask me any questions as well ill try to answer all I can.
      Again, I'm not sure what you mean by worship. I'm not neurotypical, and tend to be rather... Spockish, so what other people consider worship probably isn't what I do.

For your first question, I believe in the big bang and its true we may never know EXACTLY what happened to create the universe and all of us in general but there is more proof for the big bang and some of the more scientific explanations for our existence such as the redshift something observable and proof that our universe is ever expanding.
      No issues here with either, either.

Comment

I just grew up believing !

But in my 50 's ['" age '"] I went to a bible church and that was when I was introduced to the bible....

And after that , I thought how could such a big book be wrong at all............ There is only one GOD !

And I know GOD is TRUE ! And one day we will ALL meet GOD ............
        Eph. 2:8
        For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
        9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Comment

Hi. Certainly must people was born in the middle of Christianity. That's why we can have some knowledge of believing. There are many things strange that happen here in earth. Like magic, and some strange power that we can see. And the most thing you heard people saying, that God will protect you if evil (bad things ). Now that you are curious, begin or keep reading the Bible. Gos no body come to God if God don't call him.

Comment

Why do you Believe in God?
            Because he keeps his word.

How did you first start to worship?
            By asking forgiveness for my sins.

Were you Born in to it?
            My dad became Christian through faith and taught our family what he came to know.

Did you convert?
            People don't convert. God converts them after he sees a genuine desire to know him. He does this by the holy spirit.

Feel free to ask me any questions as well ill try to answer all I can.
            Nice of you to offer, but there's nothing you can teach me about why you're here and where you're going.

Comment

Why do you Believe in God? How did you first start to worship? Were you Born in to it? Did you convert? If so why? Im generally interested to see the reasons why people worship. Feel free to ask me any questions as well ill try to answer all I can.
              Prophecy.

I began to worship when I realized that the "Book" was still having it's prophecy fulfilled, right in front of my eyes.

I was raised Catholic, then my parents quit the church when I was in fifth grade. I feel that God brought me back to His People when I was 50, or so.
              JER 14:13 Then said I: 'Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them: Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.'
              JER 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me: 'The prophets prophesy lies in My name; I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spoke I unto them; they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.

Comment

In answering the question "Why do you believe in God?", are there any Christians here who would want to distance themselves from the sentiments behind any of these four responses?

"Because he is."
                "I met him when I was younger."
                "Because he keeps his word."
                "Prophesy."

Comment

Why do you Believe in God? How did you first start to worship? Were you Born in to it? Did you convert? If so why? Im generally interested to see the reasons why people worship. Feel free to ask me any questions as well ill try to answer all I can.
                  I was born into it, but came to realize it for myself. Faith in God, for me, is like breathing. The knowledge of intelligent design and purpose is all around me, and has become clearer to me over the years.

I've been talking with the Lord for decades. I have no doubt in the Lord's reality, or in His involvement in the world, or in my own life. It is a spiritual cognition, coupled with objective realities all around me on a daily basis.

Jesus truly spoke the truth, and I will state it the way I see it: you walk in darkness, and cannot see, because your own bias has blinded your eyes. We have a nature that gravitates away from the word of the Lord for our lives. And when we cooperate with that "rebellion," we become blind to who the Lord is, because it is *His word* that reveals who He is.

There is no lack of "proof" for the reality of God in our lives, if we only agree to cooperate with His word for us. Doing right produces objective fruit, and we will have no trouble in seeing that it is "good." But if we refuse to cooperate with God's legitimate authority over our lives as Creator, we will never see who He is in a clear way. We may even doubt His existence, as insane as that would be.

Comment

My real reason? I came here to see a different point of view to see the reasons why so many may devote there lives to something they can not prove and maybe to a lesser extent my presence here is a sort of challenge to see if any of you can change my point of view. Of all of you so far all have failed this challenge and I dont think any of you will succeed. But who knows? maybe one day you will
                    lol! "catch me if you can!" That sounds about as sincere as a serpent in a garden... However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Instead of deciding, in advance, that nobody will persuade you, why not consider the arguments first. Nobody is interested in *making* you be a Christian. This is by "invitation only!"

Comment

Post 23:
                      I take it you are aware of the fact that adherents of every religion, denomination, sect and cult can give almost identical answers to yours, with just a few names altered.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidYoung View Post
                        Post 23:
                        I take it you are aware of the fact that adherents of every religion, denomination, sect and cult can give almost identical answers to yours, with just a few names altered.
                        If it's universally true, that's what you would expect, right? However, the existence of Free Choice cancels out this reality for some people. And what many people experience in common becomes, in their thinking, mass hypnosis, rather than genuine spiritual experience. Obey God's word to your conscience, and you will see Him.

The fact people have different names for God, and have different paths to God, is an important distinction, however. Even if there are commonalities in many religions, these distinctions make the difference between knowing Christ as he is, or not. To know Christ as he really is requires that we accept his word for our lives. If you do, you will know his purity, and his righteousness. If you reject this, you may know some aspects of God's goodness, but will lack the things that God considers worthy of eternal life.

Comment

"I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the Lord; and they shall be My people..." Jer 24:7

My real reason? I came here to see a different point of view to see the reasons why so many may devote there lives to something they can not prove and maybe to a lesser extent my presence here is a sort of challenge to see if any of you can change my point of view. Of all of you so far all have failed this challenge and I dont think any of you will succeed.
                          I hear you. No matter how persuasive, none of us can change your heart.

Comment

Working...
                          X