No announcement yet.

What does it mean to believe in God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion What does it mean to believe in God?

Hello,
    I am new to these forums and am a very curious non-Christian who is open to new evidence. I have a question: Is believing in God more like a belief in a proposition - such as "I believe it is raining outside" - or more of a way of life?
    Thanks!

Re: What does it mean to believe in God?

Originally posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to these forums and am a very curious non-Christian who is open to new evidence. I have a question: Is believing in God more like a belief in a proposition - such as "I believe it is raining outside" - or more of a way of life?
    Thanks!
    We all have a human belief and trust. We get into a car with a friend and usually think we will survive the ride.

Christianity is not about what we can do as humans so much. it is about the power of God (grace) enabling us to walk with God. It is about relationship with God and others...at a new level of love, joy and peace.

We can't get there with our own belief. God must come to us and take us to a new place. So we pray and even cry out to God. When we are ready to receive Christ, God will quicken our hearts with a faith like Jesus had....so that we can walk as He did.

If you read the bible....especially the book of Acts, you will read of many wonderful things. If you desire to live out a life that is rooted and grounded in the love of God.... then pray and seek the Lord with all you have.

Bless you

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
    מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
    התהלכו באור

Comment

Hello,
      Thanks!
      I would say of your two choices it is definitely more like #2; but I would go further, and say instead of 'belief in a way of life' it is 'having a relationship with'.

We recognize what God has done, does, and continues to do in the world, in our lives, etc...and we want to relationship with Him. A fellowship.
      As a small child; I didn't believe in my mother because of a proposition or even a realized way of life....rather; I had a deep, interactive, acknowledging relationship and fellowship with her; that grew as I grew; and grew over time; as I saw the love she had for me, the good things she did for me; etc.

The relationship of fellowship between us over time, was the fruit. To disbelieve would have only fooled myself; and turned down a path for my life that was much less joyous, thankful, and appreciative of what she was to me; did for me; and cares about me.

Comment

Hello,
        Thanks!
        Knowing God is a relationship between one who is loved and one who loves.
        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by episkopos View Post
          We all have a human belief and trust. We get into a car with a friend and usually think we will survive the ride.

Christianity is not about what we can do as humans so much. it is about the power of God (grace) enabling us to walk with God. It is about relationship with God and others...at a new level of love, joy and peace.

We can't get there with our own belief. God must come to us and take us to a new place. So we pray and even cry out to God. When we are ready to receive Christ, God will quicken our hearts with a faith like Jesus had....so that we can walk as He did.

If you read the bible....especially the book of Acts, you will read of many wonderful things. If you desire to live out a life that is rooted and grounded in the love of God.... then pray and seek the Lord with all you have.

Bless you
          It sounds like you're saying it is more a way of life than a belief in a proposition. Correct?

Comment

Hello,
            Thanks!
            I prefer to get down to the nitty-gritty.

You likely would not have even come here on this kind of forum to ask such a question if God hadn't already 'touched' you in some way, and that could be even while you may not recognize it yet. Maybe He's calling you?

All those of us can do for you is be a witness of The Father and His Son Jesus Christ in our own lives. No one except God and yourself can convince your own heart to believe on Him and His Son Jesus Christ.

As Apostle Paul said, we all have been concluded under sin, so that the Promise by Faith on Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe (Galatians 3:22). The only ones God forces into His service against their will are His very elect, like the Apostles of Christ. All others must... make their own choice to believe, or not believe.

Comment

Hello,
              Thanks!
              It's both, and it works the same way as most relationships. The truth claim "God exists" is either true or false and if true, belief in the verity of the proposition is rational. There are at least four, if not more, major philosophical proofs offered for the existence of God. But these seem dry and academic compared to having a relationship with God.

Many times an individual will seek God because he or she is overwhelmed by powerful forces that seem to shape our world: luck, fate, natural disaster, strong desire, strong addiction, financial disaster, crop failure, seemingly incurable diseases, powerful and evil men, spiritual forces of darkness, and many other reality shaping forces that are larger and more powerful than any one individual. Our first impulse is to gather many people together and through greater numbers attempt to keep bad things from happening. Technology is another defense against these destructive forces. And when all else fails, we seek a higher power, a greater intellect, a greater imagination, a god that will help us in our time of need. Such a god exists. In fact, some societies believe in many gods, many reality shaping forces that must be appeased on order to have many crops, many children and a happy life. But there is ultimately only one "God almighty" and he alone is our help. I couldn't put it any better than the apostle Paul who said,

Acts 17:
              22 So Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects. 23 For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, ‘TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.’ Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you. 24 The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26 and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’ 29 Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. 30 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

Comment

Hello,
                Thanks!
                In my case, yes. I asked myself what is there to believe in, in the Bible?

The answer was obvious to me: Prophecy.

Prophecy is continually being fulfilled in our daily life, and it is fascinating, at least to me, to watch the buildup to fulfillment.

Both in the pathways that are prepared to allow a fulfillment and the manner in which the fulfillment manifests.

The accuracy of the language in the Bible (I use the Douay and KJV) is amazing, IMO.
                JER 14:13 Then said I: 'Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them: Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.'
                JER 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me: 'The prophets prophesy lies in My name; I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spoke I unto them; they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.

Comment

"Besides Me there is no Savior."
                  Originally posted by DavePeace View Post

I prefer to get down to the nitty-gritty.

You likely would not have even come here on this kind of forum to ask such a question if God hadn't already 'touched' you in some way, and that could be even while you may not recognize it yet. Maybe He's calling you?

All those of us can do for you is be a witness of The Father and His Son Jesus Christ in our own lives. ...
                  "You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and My Servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe..." Isaiah 43:10

Comment

Working...
                  X