Phone Phishing Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone Phishing Scam

Received a call from 'Verizon' yesterday stating that if I logged into a website... verizon###.com (not posting here because I don't want anyone to link to it), that I could receive $350 for being a loyal customer.

This screamed of a scam to me. First off, if they were going to give a refund, or bonus for being a good customer, they would just credit my account and send a letter stating it. If I had to 'claim' this, I would log into their website, not an unrelated one. Why would I go to somewhere that isn't the normal customer service site and log in?

Things to watch for scams like this:

1) additional information included into the URL (website address). In this case, instead of verizonwireless.com, it was verizon###.com.

2) they wanted me to go to this obscure website and log in with my information to claim a refund. If they were giving a refund, they would credit the account or send a paper check to you in the mail and not call about it.

3) The call came from an odd looking number: 800-000-0000. Quite awkward looking. And even if it wasn't awkward looking, there are apps on phones that you can change what the recipient's caller ID will state.

4) When in doubt, always do a quick google search. I searched for this, and there were also scams just like it for sprint and probably At&t as well.

Educate yourself so you don't get scammed!

Re: Phone Phishing Scam

One thing I have learned to do is always google an unusual phone number. People who have been scammed by it will post their stories
    ὁ ̓Ιησοῦς κύριος

Comment

Originally posted by jhdobbins View Post

4) When in doubt, always do a quick google search. I searched for this, and there were also scams just like it for sprint and probably At&t as well.
      I think this one is the best of all of them!

Comment

The nerve of some companies!

I have both my home and cell numbers listed with the National Do Not Call Registry. (link)

My home phone is with Verizon and I put a freeze on my account after I got 'slammed' by a rip company like the one you describe. They promoted themselves as Verizon calling to help me to consolidate my phone bill with a package rate. I refused, but they ended up transferring my number to their service anyway. Which I discovered in the next bill. It took three years to get their charges resolved from my bills.

I wasn't paying their noted charge amounts, because by law you don't have to pay a third party when subscribed to a primary provider, but it was then that I learned through a Verizon rep that I could install the freeze and that way no company could ever call and switch me over again.
        I have a password for security on that freeze, in the event I do want to make changes. Unless someone knows that PW no one can mess with my Verizon contract.

And I put a 'Do Not Promote' note on all of my accounts, utilities, bank, etc... so that they know not to sell my name and phone number and address on call and mailing lists.
        Here even the State offices, like the Register of Deeds and the DMV sells names and addresses to call and mail lists. At least with DMV there's an 'opt out' form to fill out so they have to stop that!
        Just a few tips to help keep us all safe.

Thanks for the heads up.
        Watch out for scam emails too. Everything from phone companies to public utilities, are running game.
        sigpic

"You can either be pitiful or you can be powerful. But you can't be both." Joyce Meyer

Comment

This scam is similar to Microsoft Virus Scam.Sure thing,the call sure is phisy;I advice you avoid such emails or calls in the future
          Last edited by jayne; Mar 26th 2018, 01:03 AM.

Comment

I just simply don’t answer the calls. If it’s the real company they’ll send a letter and then I’ll call them at the number on my bills.
            "Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage."

Comment

We've been getting these recorded calls allegedly from the Canada Revenue Agency (your IRS) stating there is a problem and you need to contact us immediately and if you don't then "good luck!" Of course, the CRA only contacts through mail.

My other favourite one is the guy who calls saying there is a problem with my computer. I asked which computer had the problem since both our desktop and laptop were on at the time. He wanted me to tell him of course. So I just told him that he should be able to tell me since he called me that one has a problem. The response was "Click!"
              Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
              Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

I've gotten calls a number of times with a foreign person on the other end telling me they are calling because my Windows PC has an issue and they are calling to resolve that issue. So I take the time to let them walk me through their steps just as far and long into the proces as I can.

At some point I then inform them I have a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by EarlyCall View Post
                  I've gotten calls a number of times with a foreign person on the other end telling me they are calling because my Windows PC has an issue
                  A guy I know just goes along with it. "Yeah, I am having problems with my windows. They cold and drafty in the winter, do I need more insulation or should I just replace them?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                    A guy I know just goes along with it. "Yeah, I am having problems with my windows. They cold and drafty in the winter, do I need more insulation or should I just replace them?!"
                    Years ago I stopped by my parents, but they weren't home but having a key I went on in. The phone rang and I answered and it was some sales guy. I let him get into his pitch for a bit, then I interrupted him and said, look, I don't live here ok? I'm just robbing the place, the phone rang and I answered it.

Comment

Working...
                    X