I tipped out my cookie jar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help I tipped out my cookie jar

I turned off my browser (firefox) cookies because I had enough of all the dumb ads.

Now a whole heap of websites wont let me in so I have to enable cookies for one site at a time - just the ones I want - making each one an 'exception.' First there was Facebook; I managed to fix that one. Then there was Academia; done that.

Now Im up to Wordpress. Won't let me log in no matter what I try. I put Wordpress.com into my exceptions, cleared my cache, hit my computer, swore at the cat ... tried everything. Wont let me in.

Anybody got some ideas?

Cyber
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Re: I tipped out my cookie jar

Well, I think I found a way to beat all the adds that were popping up, and also the extreme slowness in my computer. I just downloaded a free program called Malwarebytes and it seems to have done the trick. Just thought I'd mention it here in case its a help to others.
    "Your name and renown

Comment

Malwarebytes is fantastic! I recommend it to everyone it to everyone that asks me about it.

I run Microsoft Security Essentials ( which is free) for my real time protection and then I'll run the free version of Malwarebytes once a week or every other week just to catch anything MSE might have missed.

And of course the best protection anyone can have is common sense. Don't open emails from those you don't know and trust and don't click on links if you aren't pretty sure what they will open. Be careful of what sites you go to. If you stick to mainly Christian and family friendly sites you should be very safe.
      Thing is though even FoxNews has ads that will put cookies on your computer and some of the links on their news sites go to other webpages that can have trojans hidden in the ads on the page. You don't even have to click on the ad as soon as you go to the page it can attach itself to your browser and download in the background so you don't even know you got hit.

So even using good common sense and being a careful as possible you can still get hit.
      "Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage."

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW

Thing is though even FoxNews has ads that will put cookies on your computer and some of the links on their news sites go to other webpages that can have trojans hidden in the ads on the page. You don't even have to click on the ad as soon as you go to the page it can attach itself to your browser and download in the background so you don't even know you got hit.
        Yeah, I think that is what happened to me. I read a range of newspaper websites.
        "Your name and renown

Comment

So do I. That's how I know you can get bit by them.

I click a link that was on a reputable news site for a news story about Israel and the next thing I know I've got a trojan. I go to a book review site, click a link to a review about a book and the next thing you know I've got malware because of an ad on the site. Or I should say that's how it used to happen.
          I've since found ways to prevent that mess. Nothing is 100% foolproof but it's a rare occasion when something slips through now.
          "Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage."

Comment

I apologize for opening such an old thread, but in case anyone else is having the same issues you were having, and are looking to stop online adds, try Adblock Plus. It is free and works great. Install this application and turn your cookies back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
              Well, I think I found a way to beat all the adds that were popping up, and also the extreme slowness in my computer. I just downloaded a free program called Malwarebytes and it seems to have done the trick. Just thought I'd mention it here in case its a help to others.
              Thanks for the Malwarebytes link. I use Web Root. It " seems" to be working.

Also, a heads up on our cell phones. I rent and never use my physical address on anything. As I have a POB. Until 3 months ago when I went from my old flip phone, no contract, to a new S-sung ( but still non contractual ). I received a .71 cent rebate from my current carrier to my physical address. Privacy is gone with technology.

Comment

Working...
              X