A PCI-E question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help A PCI-E question.

The computer my church has, has a mother board with 3 pci-e slots. I know two of them are for SLI. But we are currently only using one card so do we put it in one of the SLI slots (which is where it currently is) or the one loner slot? Also does it make a difference in how well the card will work if it needs to be moved?

My reasoning has always been the closer you can get to the CPU the better. But maybe not in this case.

I found the board online if this helps: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6T/

And one more thing. We think the power supply is going because the computer won't come on sometimes and we have to unplug everything and wait a few minutes then plug it all back in and it starts. So the question is does a power supply have to be i7 ready as I have noticed some are saying? I mean what so different about the cpu that a power supply has to support it? The power plug into the main board is the exact same so a regular power supply will work.

Hmm, just thought of something. Maybe the current power supply is not i7 ready as to the reason in just 2 years it seems to be going out. In case anyone is wondering it's a 1000 watt power supply because they have one of the fastest video cards that actually takes 2 power cords beside the slot power. And they run 5 hard drives and 2 dvd burners and gobs of external drives. The computer is mainly used for video editing, rendering, and capture. Though it would probably play a mean high frame rate video game.
    Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
    My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

Re: A PCI-E question.

Originally posted by ikester7579 View Post
    The computer my church has, has a mother board with 3 pci-e slots. I know two of them are for SLI. But we are currently only using one card so do we put it in one of the SLI slots (which is where it currently is) or the one loner slot? Also does it make a difference in how well the card will work if it needs to be moved?

My reasoning has always been the closer you can get to the CPU the better. But maybe not in this case.

I found the board online if this helps: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6T/
    I would say that the SLI slot is ideal, so the closer slot is best for the solo card, but if mulit cards they need to be in master-slave config.

And one more thing. We think the power supply is going because the computer won't come on sometimes and we have to unplug everything and wait a few minutes then plug it all back in and it starts. So the question is does a power supply have to be i7 ready as I have noticed some are saying? I mean what so different about the cpu that a power supply has to support it? The power plug into the main board is the exact same so a regular power supply will work.
    I would check both psu for low amps output. And any ATX12V 2.2 design guidelines is ok for a replacement.

Hmm, just thought of something. Maybe the current power supply is not i7 ready as to the reason in just 2 years it seems to be going out. In case anyone is wondering it's a 1000 watt power supply because they have one of the fastest video cards that actually takes 2 power cords beside the slot power. And they run 5 hard drives and 2 dvd burners and gobs of external drives. The computer is mainly used for video editing, rendering, and capture. Though it would probably play a mean high frame rate video game.
    Might need to check the rating it might need to be higher that 1000

Comment

Re: A PCI-E question.

Thanks. Keeping up with all the new tech is interesting but a lot of work as well.
      Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
      My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

Comment

Working...
      X