Lost settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Lost settings

I turned on my laptop and discovered that my normal desktop arrangement has been replaced with a generic account. I lost all my settings and internet settings etc. I had to find the Firefox icon but once I clicked on it none of my settings were there (none not my bookmarks were there) and it wants me to start a new account.

The resolution is horrible.

I have no idea how to recover my account settings. Am I going to have to rebuild what I've lost?
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Re: Lost settings

Did you try to reboot the system?
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Comment

Several times.

I even tried to restore to an earlier point.

I took it down to office depot to have them run a scan and it came up nothing.

When I brought it home, started it up again and it went to the general settings and the settings I set (i.e) task bar / menu bar items I set up at office depot were gone. I started to reset some more settings again such as the resolution (small icons, etc). I shut the computer off had to go some where. When I came back all those setting went back to the original default general settings. So all the work I did is gone. I cant even get the firefox icon to stick in my task bar / menu bar.

Tomorrow I will go get an external hard drive (2T) and move all my files, etc to it.

I have a feelings I will be buying a new laptop soon. I've had this one for over 5-6 years. Battery is dead and wont hold a charge. I was planning on buying a new battery but that may be a moot point now.
      "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
      C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
      "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
      "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
      "Our Hope is unchanged"
      "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Old man View Post
        I turned on my laptop and discovered that my normal desktop arrangement has been replaced with a generic account. I lost all my settings and internet settings etc. I had to find the Firefox icon but once I clicked on it none of my settings were there (none not my bookmarks were there) and it wants me to start a new account.

The resolution is horrible.

I have no idea how to recover my account settings. Am I going to have to rebuild what I've lost?
        If you are a Windows user do a "System Recovery". It will put your PC in an earlier state. Just choose a date. Has worked for me several times.

Comment

Originally posted by Old man View Post
          Battery is dead and wont hold a charge.
          Since your battery won't hold a change and now you're having this new problem I'm sad to say it's best to just get a new PC/Laptop.

A dead/non-charging battery can be caused by several things like a motherboard or logic circuit going bad or damaged ..or a few other hardware related issues. It's not always the battery itself that's gone bad. If it were a PC I'd start by replacing things one at a time until we isolated the problem.

With a Laptop? I wouldn't even attempt a repair due to a problem like this and based on what you've written here. Back up your data, buy a new one and be done with it.
          Day by day
          Oh Dear Lord
          Three things I pray
          To see thee more clearly
          Love thee more dearly
          Follow thee more nearly
          Day by day

Comment

Working...
          X