Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wordpress, need opinions.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Advice: Wordpress, need opinions.

    I'm kinda confused about wordpress pages and posts. I'm not sure what I should put as a page, and what I should put as a post.

    I realize that pages are static, and posts are not. And posts are categorized by dates, tags, etc... While pages are not.

    Questions about posts: Is there a cut off point where they get deleted? Or do they stay forever?

    The opinions I need is what you guys think should be a page or a post on my site before I get to far along with building it. The site is mainly about Bible creation, and how evolution does not work. And there will be some theology on there as well.

    Here's the site so far: http://yecheadquarters.org/

    Now what you see on the front page are posts. Do you think those subjects are good as posts, or should they be pages?

    Or, how should I determine what should go into either?

    Side note: What I don't like about posts is that it seems I cannot select a certain one to be on the front page. I can only select where the latest posts show. Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere in the dashboard? Because this is my main gripe about posts. Because I would like to rotate posts on the front page from time to time.

    Ideas?
    Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
    My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

  • #2
    Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

    Posts are never deleted they simply roll down to the next page

    In general pages would be things like you about us / contact us / etc
    with posts, this is generaly your news page, or current happenings

    as for rotating the post that is on the front page i believe the easiest way to do this is to find an addon that would do it for you.
    Play Me Coach I'm Good!!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

      Okay, that's the info I need. Thanks.
      Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
      My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

        Originally posted by ikester7579 View Post
        Side note: What I don't like about posts is that it seems I cannot select a certain one to be on the front page. I can only select where the latest posts show. Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere in the dashboard? Because this is my main gripe about posts. Because I would like to rotate posts on the front page from time to time.

        Ideas?
        If your theme allows for it, you could create a category to populate the front page, and have the front page populate only that category (for example, the slider on my website is the category 'featured posts,' and the far left-hand column is the category 'Book Reviews'), everything else (i.e. all posts) populate the middle column, as well as the blog page.

        Otherwise, you could simply 'sticky' the post and see if that works (top right corner of the post admin panel, where you wrote the post, there will be an option to sticky).

        If your theme doesn't allow for that sort of customization, you could always manually edit the PHP so that it behaves this way. You'd want to familiarize yourself with the Wordpress Codex, and download Firebug (for FF) if you haven't already - makes editing a million times faster.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

          I've said it Ad nauseam before so I'll say it again -- plugins, add-ons, tweaks, hacks for CMS are wonderful things. But they can get you into a lot of trouble real quick if the individual/company that makes them suddenly decides to stop updating it, leaves the country, becomes a hermit, space cadet, fireman or decides to grow corn instead of developing software.

          When we updated our servers from PHP 4 -> PHP 5 some years back many sites broke. Not because Worpress, Joomla, Drupal or whatever couldn't handle it - they were all fine. The problem was, and always is the other bits like plugins, add-ons, tweaks, hacks for these that no longer exist after 1 or 2 or 5 years.

          A while back we updated to PHP 5.2, Same problem. Then PHP 5.3 even a bigger problem.

          My Golden rule #1: If you want to use a plugin, add-on, tweak or hack on your CMS, by all means do so, but at least try to confirm the author has been around for a while and is likely to be here next year. Saves a lot of heartache in the long run.

          My Golden rule #2: Almost every CMS that gets hacked is hacked for one of two reasons:

          1. The site owner never kept his software up to date. Patches for these things come out all the time. Don't ever get lax in updating. It will cause you much grief when the site gets hacked... and it will. you can count on it.

          2. Don't use plugins, add-ons, tweaks, hacks written by novices. More CMS sites are hacked because of poorly written add-on bits than are hacked because of vulnerabilities in their core code. Bookmark the developers site (of your CMS) and make sure you only use software they endorse and not anything cool you find out there.

          Hope this helps someone.
          Time's up

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

            I found what I needed in a plugin for changing around posts for the front page. It's easy drag and drop just like the widgets work. I did not want auto rotate, just something I can change the post when needed.

            http://www.nsp-code.com/wordpress-pl...st-types-order

            The free version works just fine.
            Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
            My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

              Originally posted by ikester7579 View Post
              I found what I needed in a plugin for changing around posts for the front page. It's easy drag and drop just like the widgets work. I did not want auto rotate, just something I can change the post when needed.

              http://www.nsp-code.com/wordpress-pl...st-types-order

              The free version works just fine.
              By the way, always check plugins at the WordPress directory before uploading (in this case: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/post-types-order/).

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

                I see it got 5 stars. I love the thing, the changes are instant.
                Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
                My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

                  Originally posted by bdh View Post
                  I've said it Ad nauseam before so I'll say it again -- plugins, add-ons, tweaks, hacks for CMS are wonderful things. But they can get you into a lot of trouble real quick if the individual/company that makes them suddenly decides to stop updating it, leaves the country, becomes a hermit, space cadet, fireman or decides to grow corn instead of developing software.

                  When we updated our servers from PHP 4 -> PHP 5 some years back many sites broke. Not because Worpress, Joomla, Drupal or whatever couldn't handle it - they were all fine. The problem was, and always is the other bits like plugins, add-ons, tweaks, hacks for these that no longer exist after 1 or 2 or 5 years.

                  A while back we updated to PHP 5.2, Same problem. Then PHP 5.3 even a bigger problem.

                  My Golden rule #1: If you want to use a plugin, add-on, tweak or hack on your CMS, by all means do so, but at least try to confirm the author has been around for a while and is likely to be here next year. Saves a lot of heartache in the long run.

                  My Golden rule #2: Almost every CMS that gets hacked is hacked for one of two reasons:

                  1. The site owner never kept his software up to date. Patches for these things come out all the time. Don't ever get lax in updating. It will cause you much grief when the site gets hacked... and it will. you can count on it.

                  2. Don't use plugins, add-ons, tweaks, hacks written by novices. More CMS sites are hacked because of poorly written add-on bits than are hacked because of vulnerabilities in their core code. Bookmark the developers site (of your CMS) and make sure you only use software they endorse and not anything cool you find out there.

                  Hope this helps someone.
                  That's another thing I like about wordpress. Not only does it inform you of updates for itself, but plugins and widgets, and templates. And all can be downloaded from the dashboard. I've already downloaded 15 updates for everything. There will probably be another one when I log in. Though I am going to delete all plugins I downloaded and did not use. Just less to worry about.

                  I guess I download a backup every 2 weeks just in case.
                  Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
                  My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

                    Sounds like you're having fun and wondering why you never did this years ago
                    Time's up

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

                      Someone just told me about this really cool plugin for wordpress - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...ing-soon-page/
                      Custom Coming Soon Page

                      This plugin shows a 'Custom Coming Soon' page to all users who are not logged in and the Administrators see the fully functional website.
                      Time's up

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

                        Cool,just downloaded and going to take a look.
                        Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
                        My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

                          Does anyone know anything about the plugin called: Bulletproof security? http://www.ait-pro.com/aitpro-blog/2...lugin-support/

                          It looks like it would keep out hackers. Does anyone use it?
                          It also cost a little money each month but they constantly update it. And there are tons of security settings along with popup explanations when you mouse over each setting. For personal use it's 5 bucks a month. Cheap security.

                          Here is what it says in the admin cp: Website Security Protection: BulletProof Security protects your website from XSS, CSRF, Base64_encode and SQL Injection hacking attempts. One-click .htaccess WordPress security protection. Protects wp-config.php, bb-config.php, php.ini, php5.ini, install.php and readme.html with .htaccess security protection. One-click Website Maintenance Mode(HTTP 503). Additional website security checks: DB errors off, file and folder permissions check... System Info: PHP, MySQL, OS, Memory Usage, IP, Max file sizes... Built-in .htaccess file editing, uploading and downloading.
                          Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
                          My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

                            Originally posted by bdh View Post
                            Someone just told me about this really cool plugin for wordpress - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...ing-soon-page/
                            I insalled it and started getting errors on the home page. Did not check the other pages though. I uninstalled it and the errors stopped. I think it might be conflicting with that fancy template I bought. I'm going to see if there is a fix because it would be cool to have.
                            Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
                            My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Wordpress, need opinions.

                              Not sure if word press has a separate folder for admin, but I implemented a very simple security layer here that works well - password protect the admin area - http://bibleforums.org/admincp/

                              This does one very important thing -- all the scripts in the admin folder are out of reach until the hacker can get through the first password layer. So before they can even begin to hack the admin scripts, they need to get past that. Changing the passwords periodically also helps.
                              Time's up

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X