I think my site crashed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help I think my site crashed.

I was trying to get a plugin to work in wordpress, which was a contact form plugin. It was working then quit working. So I uninstalled and installed several times. Each time same problem. Figured that what ever was wrong might be caught up in the cache. So I cleared the cache. Still did not work. So I did it one more time and shortly after that my site is no longer reachable and neither is my Cpanel. I hope it just the server doing something.
    Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
    My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

Re: I think my site crashed.

Okay, never mind it's back up now. It was down for about an hour, so I thought it crashed,
    Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.

Comment

Well it's doing it again. Oh well.

Comment

Not crashed. Your IP was banned for triggering mod_sec rule 950004 - The JSQuery cookie in the URL. I've disabled the rule for you site.
        Time's up

Comment

As soon as it let's me back in I'm going to disable the plugin that did this. I know which one it was.

Comment

You should be able to now. Let me know if you want the rule back once you're done.
            Time's up

Comment

rule has been re-enabled
              Time's up

Comment

okay all done, and yes I like the extra security of the rule. Thanks. Sorry about all the trouble and fuss.

Comment

No sweat. Mode_sec can be a pain but it's like keys for your car or locks on your doors ... much safer to lock doors even though it's a hassle and it's still preferable even if you occasionally lock yourself out.
                  Time's up

Comment

My site shut down again LOL. This time I was editing a php file for a plugin through the wordpress program. It has a section where you can edit files. All I was doing was changing some of the text for easier understanding of instructions of posters, and text size (it was to big and going off page, made it smaller). Everything was working fine and I was just about finished when all of a sudden I was locked out like what happened before. Neither my site is accessible, nor the admin panel. So my question is: Does editing a php file set off the firewall?

Comment

I guess it does. It's been an hour and it's back up.

Comment

You triggered something in mod_security which temporarily banned your IP.

Mod_sec can be trigger happy sometimes. However in this case the specific thing that triggered it was this:
                        Code:
                        wp-content/plugins/jquery-vertical-accordion-menu/js/jquery.cookie.js
                        If I remember, it's the jquery.cookie.js, I think there is a patch to rename it to jquery-cookie.js or something like that.

Here's what happens - certain words have special meaning to Linux just like ".EXE" or ".COM" are potentially dangerous files on Windows and are totally meaningless in Linux.

For example, if you try to create a folder called "etc" the firewall goes nuts if you try to access it because etc is a very special place under Linux. However, a folder called e-t-c is fine and the firewall will ignore it.
                        Time's up

Comment

That line code you provided was not near anything I was editing. But the accordion menu is the name of another plugin that I'm not currently using. So I disable it.

I was editing the text on a plugin where you can ask challenge questions for each poster. The button that you click to add your comment was running off the template. The font size above that was large and bold. So I made it small and bold and it brought up the button more into the template area. I guess I need to find out what the code is for a blank space is in css and put a couple of blank spaces under the comment button so that it is totally inside the template. Right now it's only about half way out. But that was better then being almost 2 spaces out.

If anyone wants to help, here is what i am talking about: http://yecheadquarters.org/?p=596

At the bottom of page where you add the comment, the button for this runs off the page. Is it better to add spaces in the plugin code to push button up into template, or add spaces to the template it self to bring the button in? It was way out until I changed to font size of some of the stuff above it.

Comment

Originally posted by ikester7579 View Post
                            That line code you provided was not near anything I was editing. But the accordion menu is the name of another plugin that I'm not currently using. So I disable it.I was editing the text on a plugin where you can ask challenge questions for each poster. The button that you click to add your comment was running off the template. The font size above that was large and bold. So I made it small and bold and it brought up the button more into the template area. I guess I need to find out what the code is for a blank space is in css and put a couple of blank spaces under the comment button so that it is totally inside the template. Right now it's only about half way out. But that was better then being almost 2 spaces out.If anyone wants to help, here is what i am talking about: http://yecheadquarters.org/?p=596At the bottom of page where you add the comment, the button for this runs off the page. Is it better to add spaces in the plugin code to push button up into template, or add spaces to the template it self to bring the button in? It was way out until I changed to font size of some of the stuff above it.
                            Let me know if this is what you want. The way I see it, you can either make the div that contains the button and the rest of the post slightly longer, so that it fits, but in the future you may have longer posts, are you using Wordpress or something? What I would do is add this
                            Code:
                            margin-bottom: 20px;
                            In the CSS so the button stays 20px from the bottom.
                            Don't bother quoting me, I'll go back and correct my posts about a dozen times so I can fix all the dumb mistakes, typos, and parts that don't make sense, once I'm done then you can quote it.

Comment

Originally posted by bob View Post
                              Let me know if this is what you want. The way I see it, you can either make the div that contains the button and the rest of the post slightly longer, so that it fits, but in the future you may have longer posts, are you using Wordpress or something? What I would do is add this
                              Code:
                              margin-bottom: 20px;
                              In the CSS so the button stays 20px from the bottom.
                              No matter how long the post is, it's the same at the bottom. I am using wordpress. working on where to enter code.

And I cannot mess around with it to much, the server firewall locks me out. Thinks I'm hacking.

Comment

Working...
                              X