Clear All

• Need Advice: 404 code

My stats for Feb. show:
    Hits
    404 Document Not Found 1295 70.2 %
    301 Moved permanently (redirect) 474
    ...with 497 unique visitors.

[and this is typical of any month]

Does this mean that the vast majority of hits are not finding my website? ...why?
    my url has not changed or been moved, ever.
    (Please, no geek-speak)

Bottom line: do I have a problem or is this typical of websites?
    ...now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light,... and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
    Ephesians 5

WELCOME to my homepage http://mikesnow.org/

Re: 404 code

ok, have you re-named any of the pages, or deleted any pages that where linked to by external sources?

this could explain the large percentage of 404 traffic.
    Play Me Coach I'm Good!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Guilo View Post
      ok, have you re-named any of the pages, or deleted any pages that where linked to by external sources?

this could explain the large percentage of 404 traffic.
      There haven't been many pages, none deleted that I know off. I asked my daughter, the only thing she said was that the site used to be html but was changed, I guess when word press was added. I had only used the domain name as a link till recently [mikesnow.org] when I learned how to link individual pages through the web host.

If I change web hosts, will this create more missed hits?
      ...now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light,... and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
      Ephesians 5

WELCOME to my homepage http://mikesnow.org/

Comment

ok, changing from an html site to a wordpress site will generate a bunch of 404 errors from pages that where indexed by google etc that are no longer there, this is normal

if you change hosts but keep your content the same it will not change this as this is content related not host related
        Play Me Coach I'm Good!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Guilo View Post
          ok, changing from an html site to a wordpress site will generate a bunch of 404 errors from pages that where indexed by google etc that are no longer there, this is normal

if you change hosts but keep your content the same it will not change this as this is content related not host related
          Geek, you are good
          The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
          God plants in our hearts
          to remind us
          there are better things ahead.
          -Holley Gerth

Comment

You will also find 404 errors on all sites, usually as a result of hackers or bad bots probing the site for files with known vulnerabilities.
            Time's up

Comment

I took my error pages, the ones that were being hit often like 404. And I customized it to relay a message that the page does not exist then forward the person to the home page.

Hmmm, I just checked and the page no longer loads. Guess I better fix that.
              Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
              My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

Comment

ikester, I appreciate your tremendous site, by the way, and plan to visit often.

I am not a bot, haha!

Comment

Originally posted by IMINXTC View Post
                  ikester, I appreciate your tremendous site, by the way, and plan to visit often.

I am not a bot, haha!
                  Thanks for the kind words I work quite hard on it. Kinda burned out right now.

I had the option to use either captcha or the check box thing. The captcha was messing up so I went with the check box option and it works. I get no more spam. Funny how something so simple can block the bots.
                  Note: By request I can only post and see the tech section of this forum. So don't respond to my posts in the other sections because I cannot see them so I cannot respond. You can PM me if you need to.
                  My site: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/

Comment

Working...
                  X