Thread: walking after the Spirit

walking after the Spirit

I was told that we are not automatically free of the condemnation of sin just because we are saved and believe. Looking at the scriptures below, how does one walk after the Spirit?

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

ziggywaves,
    walking after the spirit is when the Holy Spirit reminds you of scriptures when encountering a potentially sinful situation, and then you deny your flesh to act the way the Holy Spirit pointed out to you that you should.
    Or, the Holy Spirit may reveal to you scriptures and give you understanding to apply for a lifetime. This will be what takes you out of the world to live according to the Word.

Whatever the Holy Spirit tells you must be in line with scriptures, or else it is not of the Spirit.

If you are unsure of what the Holy Spirit is teaching you as truth then you need to study it out.

But to sum it up, walking after the Spirit is a quite physical business, as you align your body, and soul to do what the Holy Spirit has revealed to you as truth with all your strength.

Deu 6:5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Shalom my friend,
    Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Diolectic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggywaves View Post
    I was told that we are not automatically free of the condemnation of sin just because we are saved and believe. Looking at the scriptures below, how does one walk after the Spirit?
    You choose to by loving God.

Gal 5:24-25 But the ones belonging to Christ crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts.
    :25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit

1John 4:20 If anyone says, I love God, and hates his brother, he is a liar. For the one not loving his brother whom he has seen, how is he able to love God whom he has not seen?
    1John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God: when we love God and keep His commandments.

In a dry and thirsty land where there is no water
    Hi ziggywaves,

Quote Originally Posted by ziggywaves View Post

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    This is a very important question! I remember as a new believer wondering about this and finding to my dismay that nobody seemed to know how to do it, and yet Scripture is so clear that this is something that every believer needs to be doing!

When I discovered what it was about it made all the difference in my Christian life. I went from struggling in vain against sin to having victory over sin, just by understanding what this means. But it was a process and it took time.

The bottom line is that walking by the Spirit is simply occupying yourself with the things that God would have you do. You occupy both your mind and your activities with things that are godly, wholesome, fruitful, edifying. When the flesh (temptation) comes against you, you actively resist and continue to resist until the temptation passes.

Read Romans 6 and meditate on that for a while, and let what it teaches sink into your heart and your mind. You can learn to walk by the Spirit.
    Love In Christ,
    Tanya

John 5:19 Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.

That, I believe, is Jesus "walking afer the Spirit".

1 Jn 4:8 The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

And that is as simple as it gets, I think. God is love, so doing what we see the Father doing is to love as He does.
    Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

To me walking in the Spirit is to cease striving to please God by my works, good things I do for Him, being a godly person, etc.

I simply rest in the fact that I will never be more accepted by God or loved by God more than I am today and that I am accepted and loved by Him because of Christ and not because of me and the things I do.

Once I rested in that fact (rested in Christ) I found I now truly desired to please God, not so I could get something like His acceptance, but simply out of love for what He freely gave me. My motivation changed.

Sometimes I forget and He gently reminds me

That is my understanding of walking in the Spirit and not the flesh. Its the difference between Law and Grace.
    WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
    securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Quote Originally Posted by Toolman View Post
    To me walking in the Spirit is to cease striving to please God by my works, good things I do for Him, being a godly person, etc...

That is my understanding of walking in the Spirit and not the flesh. Its the difference between Law and Grace.

Well said, TM.
    Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

I just read this and thought it fit in nicely with this thread.

In union with God there is rest that’s complete,

There is joy, and there’s peace without measure.

In union with God we can sit at His feet,

And enjoy this wonderful treasure.

He’s coming to us as our hearts yearn for Him

And we’re changed in the light of His glory;

The Father is pleased as with gladness He sees

His likeness brought forth in this union of love!

~J Preston Eby

Thread Information