Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the Christmas tree

Question about the Christmas tree

There is verse somewhere in the Old Testament about decorating a tree. Someone showed it to me years ago but I can't remember where it is and I can't find it anywhere. I do realize that the context of the verse may not have anything to do with the Christmas tree, but I've heard it used to justify the use of a Christmas tree because so many people take the position that it is a pagan practice. I'm not posting this to start an arguement, I just want to ask someone to help direct me to that verse. Thank you.

Jeremiah 10

1 Hear the word which the LORD speaks to you, O house of Israel.
    2 Thus says the LORD:

“ Do not learn the way of the Gentiles;
    Do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven,
    For the Gentiles are dismayed at them.
    3 For the customs of the peoples are futile;
    For one cuts a tree from the forest,
    The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
    4 They decorate it with silver and gold;
    They fasten it with nails and hammers
    So that it will not topple.
    Tami (always learning, continually growing, constantly seeking)

Revelation 19:13 "And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God."

You may find the NIV rendering of that Jeremiah passage helpful, as well as the next verse, just to keep it in context. It's very clearly speaking of cutting down trees for the purpose of fashioning them into idols to worship.:

1 Hear what the Lord says to you, O house of Israel.
    2 This is what the Lord says: "Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them.
    3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.
    4 They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter.
    5 Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."

Since you're specifically asking in regard to Christmas, you might also enjoy reading the Biblical references to fir trees here.
    Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

jeffreys Guest
    The Jeremiah 10 passage is not referring to something such as a Christmas tree.

It is referring to people shaping something out of wood, covering it with silver or gold, then setting it up and worshiping it as an idol.

These really are two very different things.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreys View Post
    The Jeremiah 10 passage is not referring to something such as a Christmas tree.

It is referring to people shaping something out of wood, covering it with silver or gold, then setting it up and worshiping it as an idol.

These really are two very different things.
    True. But, do we not decorate a tree with silver and gold and put nails in it so it will not topple (ie: tree stand)? Do we not then give it honor by placing gifts beneath it? Just some thoughts.

Tree worship is a prevalent pagan practice to this day. Let us not worship the Lord our God as they do...

Revelation 19:13 "And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God."

jeffreys Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyChristian View Post
    True. But, do we not decorate a tree with silver and gold and put nails in it so it will not topple (ie: tree stand)? Do we not then give it honor by placing gifts beneath it? Just some thoughts.

Tree worship is a prevalent pagan practice to this day. Let us not worship the Lord our God as they do...
    Do I carve an object out of a piece of wood, cover it with silver or gold, then bow down and worship it in the way Jeremiah was speaking of?

No. Absolutely not!

in the Underground Realm where there are no lies nor pain...
    Whether or not its a pagan practice has nothing to do with whether or not it should be done.

Like how many of you at your wedding didnt use rice, didnt have bridesmaids and grooms, etc etc- because those are all pagan pratices.

Nothing wrong with them. Whatever the orgin of the Christmas tree is, unless you use it for its orginal purpose (whatever that is), its not sinful.
    "Death is not the end of life, but a change in life"

"Innocence is ugly
    to the one who is guilty"
    -10 Years

Holbrook Johnson: "Those who reason are lost."
    GK Chesterton: "Those who do not reason are not worth finding."

Idols were covered on another topic not that long ago and i am not clever enough to search or do a link like some people can. But the point i made there is 'Idols' are not an old fashioned idea of just metal or wooden carved obects worshipped as Gods. It is anything that you focus your attention on too much, that subtracts your attention from the true God.
    Therefore Sports can be an idol. Following football, or baseball, or any sport. You can of course enjoy sport, watching or playing. But if going to matches twice a week, watching on tv etc meant you missed church or study, stopped praying or started praying for your team to win all the time - it has become an idol. Moderation in all things - except our Lord and walk.
    Coming back to the tree, my mothers church puts the biggest it can find next to the altar. This makes me very uncomfortable. If i were in a christian/ christian marriage i'd like to leave the tree out of christmas as yes it is pagan and i feel not a good witness to non christians. But sadly, and yes i feel bad, next weekend ours will go up for the whole of december. I dislike puting up any decorations and most of the pagan 'this world' stuff. My wife has been aware for years.
    But as on other topics our hearts are more important. If your heart is true to our Lord this christmas, that is much more important.

jiggyfly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreys View Post
    Do I carve an object out of a piece of wood, cover it with silver or gold, then bow down and worship it in the way Jeremiah was speaking of?

No. Absolutely not!
    While I do agree with you, I also fail to see anything sacred or significant about christmas trees in conjunction with Christ's birth in the scriptures. I believe it is just another man-made traditon. To some degree things like christmas trees, saint nicholas, santa claus, rudolph, among other things have become icons of the holiday to many people and are distractions from the supposed reason for the holiday.
    Last edited by jiggyfly; Nov 25th 2007 at 06:17 PM.

I do not worship my tree (I have three of them), but I sure do think they look purty when I am done with them

Quote Originally Posted by jiggyfly View Post
    While I do agree with you, I also fail to see anything sacred or significant about christmas trees in conjunction with Christ's birth in the scriptures. I believe it is just another man-made traditon. To some degree things like christmas trees, saint nicholas, santa claus, rudolph, among other things have become icons of the holiday to many and are distractions from the supposed reason for the holiday.
    What is the "supposed reason" for the holiday? Christ's birth? Or the Roman god's death and resurrection on December 25th?
    "Therefore, the 25th of December, the day that was observed at Rome as the day when the victorious god reappeared on earth, was held at the Natalis invicti solis, "The birthday of the unconquered sun." Now the yule log is the dead stock of Nimrod, deified as the sun god, but cut down by his enemies; the Christmas tree is Nimrod redivivus the slain god come to life again."
    I snipped this from a long article that discusses both sides of the debate in America on this issue.
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=29995

The pagans want to reclaim the holiday and they are working hard at it.
    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
    23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

jiggyfly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
    What is the "supposed reason" for the holiday? Christ's birth? Or the Roman god's death and resurrection on December 25th?

I snipped this from a long article that discusses both sides of the debate in America on this issue.
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=29995

What was the roman god's name?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GothicAngel View Post
    Like how many of you at your wedding didnt use rice, didnt have bridesmaids and grooms, etc etc- because those are all pagan pratices.
    Biblical weddings had maids to attend to the bride and groomsmen to attend the groom, so I'm not sure what you see as pagan about that. As for the rice, nope, didn't have rice throwing at my wedding or at my daughter's. Didn't know it was pagan, just thought it was stupid to waste food.
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony Visit Our Website

Quote Originally Posted by jiggyfly View Post
    What was the roman god's name?
    Adonis

In the 1800s, Alexander Hislop, a noted historian of antiquity, examined the origins of customs such as the Christmas tree and date of celebration. Writing in "The Two Babylons," Hislop maintains the practice derives from the worship of pagan deities.
    • The Christmas tree, now so common among us, was equally common in pagan Rome and pagan Egypt. In Egypt that tree was the palm tree; in Rome it was the fir; the palm tree denoting the pagan Messiah. ... The mother of Adonis, the sun god and great mediatorial divinity, was mystically said to have been changed into a tree, and when in that state to have brought forth her divine son. If the mother was a tree, the son must have been [recognized] as the "Man the branch." And this entirely accounts for the putting of the yule log into the fire on Christmas Eve, and the appearance of the Christmas tree the next morning. ...
    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
    23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
    I say, let 'em have it. It is their holiday. We stole it from them a long time ago. I mean, the apostles didn't preach the Christmas story.

Let them have the eggs back at Easter too.

Thread Information