Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gaining Victory, step-by-step

Gaining Victory, step-by-step

Alright, m'lady. Your show.

I like the title of your thread brother. Sounds exciting and I would like to join in, but who is m'lady?

It isn't me, but I'm going to respond anyway. The question posed on another thread has to do with a step-by-step process for gaining victory over sin. If I have not remembered that correctly, please feel free to correct me. Anyway, here is the response I gave and then removed so that I could move it over here:

If I may, let me give my thoughts on this question, too. I believe the first step to overcoming sinful habits or the temptations to sin has to be that we have to hate our sin enough to want to get rid of it. Many people are not lacking in knowing "how" to do it. They just don't do it because they don't really hate their sin; loathe; dispise it. They have to see it how God sees it; see how it hurts them, hurts God and hurts others. Been there! Done that!! You have to weep over your sin.

Then, when you have made the decision to repent and to go the other direction, then you begin putting off those habits and you put on good habits in place of them (Ephesians 4). Many people go back to their sin because they never replace the sin with something else. "When is a thief not a thief? When he stops stealing? No, when he gets a job and begins to give to the poor." "When is a door not a door? When it's 'ajar'." You have to become something else or it is too easy to go right back.

You have to fight Satan and temptation and the flesh with the armor of God. This involves removing anything from your life that could be contributing to your sin. For instance, if my problem was overeating yet I continued to overstock my shelves at home with food, esp. junk food, then I'm not helping myself. Or if it is lust and I continually watch TV programs or movies or play video games or do anything to feed the habit, then it is counterproductive. I must remove from my life everything that causes me to stumble and then I can put on the armor of God and can go against Satan with the Sword of the Spirit, which means I need to be in the Word of God and in prayer a lot!! Too many people spend hours and hours a day on the Internet and watching TV and spend so little time in God's Word and in obedience (this is key to victory) and then they wonder why they can't get victory over sin.

Everything I have mentioned here has been tried and true in my life. It works!! I can attest to it!!
    Sue

'"Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you... I am sending you to... open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’"

Quote Originally Posted by kingsdaughter View Post
    I like the title of your thread brother. Sounds exciting and I would like to join in, but who is m'lady?
    You'll soon find out.

Servant, I have to get up in 5 hours.
    I like what you are saying...but....
    well you'll find out tomorrow. Goodnight!

In a dry and thirsty land where there is no water
    Hi Fallenbrooke and thanks! (May I please call you John?)

Hi Trina!

I'm glad to see you here. I'm the lady. And Hi Sue!

This is a continuation of our hijack of the Max Lucado thread which Fallenbrooke, Christsfreeservant, and I took way off topic, and RW joined in, so I suggested Fallenbrooke start this thread. For the background, you should get enough by skimming this page http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=113104&page=12
    You might also want to go back a page and see what else Christsfreeservant wrote.

I can identify with much of what Sue (Christsfreeservant) said in her post above. I have learned pretty much the same thing about victory in Christ, and will share how it came about in my life.

John, I can see that you're planning to argue against it and this just seems a little funny to me. If we have learned how to overcome sin through Christ, why would you not want to understand and see if you can apply it to your own life, rather than resist and counter it? Maybe that's something to ponder before you get too involved with your rebuttals of what we have found from God's word through the Spirit of Christ! Could you try to set aside prejudice and consider what we have learned with an open mind?

To begin from my part, I want to point you to an answer I wrote in another thread, because you quoted a portion of Romans 7 in the Lucado thread.
    http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=114002
    See post #2 and #6 for a brief explanation of how I understand this passage.

This is important because for me, it was misunderstanding this passage in particular that held me in bondage. I had been taught exactly what you (John) say about the passage. And I believed it to be true, and I was about as wretched as Paul describes himself to be there, and it was rather hopeless. Yet because I was an avid reader of Scripture, I knew that this created a very serious problem. I knew that what I was doing could not possibly continue indefinitely, but I was unable to change it.

I have to leave this here for now. Until tomorrow then....
    Love In Christ,
    Tanya

Tanya, Firstly, I’m not going to argue against anything. I just want clarification. This is a step-by-step thread.

Second, I read the posts from you in the other thread. You are being consistent which I appreciate. I also read what Project Peter wrote in response and I’m afraid that this is where you think I am coming from. I am not suggesting we use Romans 7 to excuse sin (I think I’ve been consistent in saying that as well). What I am wanting from you is an example of how you might curtail a particular temptation. What are these “weapons” we employ for victory over a particular sin (not sin in general or a lifestyle of sin).

You suggested that you don’t struggle with sin. Which says to me that you only stumble every once in a while. A swear word once every 2 years, a little white lie, maybe j-walking when nobody is looking. Ok, fair enough. So you don’t ever struggle with...maybe...feeling superior in some situations...feeling like you have it together when others seem to be struggling with sin...putting on a smug attitude when you have a grip on a situation when others don’t. I’m just rattling off examples of what some otherwise sin-free people struggle with not alleging you do indeed have a problem in these areas. Often we struggle with deep-seated, inconspicuous sins because we don’t see immediate harm being done to us or others. Do you feel like God will ever surprise you by putting His finger on a part of your life that you haven’t given to Him? Or do you believe that you are “ready-for-Home” – has God perfected you and is just waiting for some reason to take you into His Presence?

If you don’t struggle, I am looking for step-by-step solutions to eradicate any of the sin that I struggle with (and HATE very much by the way).

Servant, you make great points. My question (for clarification purposes only) is how do you come to hate your sin? Give me a practical answer, something tangible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenbrooke View Post
    Tanya, Firstly, I’m not going to argue against anything. I just want clarification. This is a step-by-step thread.
    Okay.

What I am wanting from you is an example of how you might curtail a particular temptation. What are these “weapons” we employ for victory over a particular sin (not sin in general or a lifestyle of sin).
    That's perfect.

You suggested that you don’t struggle with sin. ...
    That is correct, and I tried to clarify that. I REALLY don't want to get into a back-and-forth debate over my pridefulness, my self-perfection, my hypocrisy, blindness, and deep-seated sin and all that. What I want to do is simply to share what I understand about the BIBLICAL teaching about the believer and sin, and how it has changed my life.

Just for the record I am not talking about sinless perfection. I am simply talking about victory over sin, and being set free by Christ from bondage to sin. Some might call it "addiction." Here's a peace-hug to show you that I am very sincere in my desire to share with you, because I want you to take hold of that which Christ has taken hold for you.

I just want to establish at the outset that there is a difference between sinless perfection, complete wholeness without any misstep, mistake or fault, and a life that is pleasing to God and righteous in His sight. One will not be possible until we are resurrected and glorified. The other is possible today, and not only possible, but required of believers. What we seek is to live a life pleasing to God.

If you don’t struggle, I am looking for step-by-step solutions to eradicate any of the sin that I struggle with (and HATE very much by the way).
    Okay, wonderful. You already have step one: HATE the sin. That's where I started too. I will elaborate on step one in my next post.
    Love In Christ,
    Tanya

Oh I like this thread! But I have to come back, after I do my bible study

Excellent post, Tanya. In fact, I really like where this is going. So far I agree whole-heartedly.

Step One: The Fear of the Lord

Quote Originally Posted by FB
    ...how do you come to hate your sin? Give me a practical answer, something tangible.
    This is the perfect question. Hatred of sin comes from the fear of the Lord.

Prov 8:13
    13 "The fear of the LORD is to hate evil;
    Pride and arrogance and the evil way
    And the perverted mouth, I hate.
    NASU
    It seems obvious that hatred of the sin should be the first step, and it is no coincidence that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of both knowledge and wisdom.

Prov 1:7
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
    Fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    NASU

Prov 9:10
    10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
    And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
    NASU
    The fear of the Lord naturally leads to hatred of sin, AND departure from it.

Job 28:28
    28 "And to man He said, 'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom;
    And to depart from evil is understanding.'"
    NASU
    This passage elaborates a little more on what it is to fear the Lord:

Ps 34:11-19
    11 Come, you children, listen to me;
    I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
    12 Who is the man who desires life
    And loves length of days that he may see good?
    13 Keep your tongue from evil
    And your lips from speaking deceit.
    14 Depart from evil and do good;
    Seek peace and pursue it.

15 The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous
    And His ears are open to their cry.
    16 The face of the LORD is against evildoers,
    To cut off the memory of them from the earth.

17 The righteous cry, and the LORD hears
    And delivers them out of all their troubles.
    18 The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
    And saves those who are crushed in spirit.

19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
    But the LORD delivers him out of them all.
    NASU
    I have highlighted in bold one point that shows why "the fear of the Lord" is the FEAR of the Lord, and not just 'reverential awe.' The hatred of sin by itself will not do much good unless we have some motivation for getting rid of it. The fear of God -- the knowledge that He will judge sin, is that necessary motivation.

2 Cor 5:9-11

Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 11 Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known to God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences.
    NKJV

We often have something of a love-hate relationship with sin. We fall into the sin because of lust -- we derive whatever momentary gratification from it that we get, and then afterwards, we hate the sin and we hate ourselves for doing it. But the next time we're tempted to do it, we fall right back into it without putting up much of a fight. WHY? Because we don't have the fear of God. Instead of acknowledging that God will judge it, we have been taught something rather similar to what the sinning Israelites believed:

Jer 7:8-11

8 "Behold, you trust in lying words that cannot profit. 9 Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, burn incense to Baal, and walk after other gods whom you do not know, 10 and then come and stand before Me in this house which is called by My name, and say, 'We are delivered to do all these abominations'? 11 Has this house, which is called by My name, become a den of thieves in your eyes? Behold, I, even I, have seen it," says the LORD.
    Few would come right out and admit they believe that faith in Christ has 'delivered' them to the point where the abominations they commit have no eternal consequences. But many of us live as if that is the case, not with evil intent but because we have not learned the fear of the Lord or the practical means by which He gave us victory.
    Love In Christ,
    Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenbrooke View Post
    Servant, you make great points. My question (for clarification purposes only) is how do you come to hate your sin? Give me a practical answer, something tangible.
    You can feel free to call me Sue. It is difficult to put into words - at least words that are practical and tangible, so let me pray about this and get back with you. I don't want to just write something... I want to write something that is going to hopefully be practical and not just my ramblings.

Later...
    Sue

'"Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you... I am sending you to... open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’"

Tanya,

I liked your answer to the question posed to me about how to hate sin. I don't know that I can add anything to that. You have nailed it on the head. The quote from Jeremiah 7 was excellent - that is where I have been reading in my QT's with the Lord and that was a verse that stood out to me, too, in our discussion on the subject of the need for repentance in salvation.

Thanks so much for sharing that!
    Sue

I'm posting here so that I will be subscribed to this wonderful thread! Tanya, I like how you are bringing out the necessity for the fear of the Lord, and what it means to fear Him.

Thanks, Fallenbrooke, for asking the questions that led to this.

Thank you Sue, for starting the thread that led to the questions that led to this thread ...

I better stop now.
    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
    23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

Thread Information