Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 659

Thread: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

  1. #151

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Has any one thought maybe ?, this could just mean at times some one speaking in a different languish ?

    Then you are ????????
    Eph. 2:8
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,565

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    Sounds like you’re basing your beliefs off of personal experience. I had no one coaching me. In fact I was a new convert reading the Bible and saw the gift mentioned and prayed for it. I received and was the first person I ever heard speak in tongues. I had never even heard of such a thing until I read about it. That was 34 years ago and I’ve spoken in tongues every day since. Like all gifts, God doesn’t force them on anyone.
    Oh, I'm certainly not discarding *genuine tongues!* I've heard many testimonies of genuine tongues! People have spoken in tongues--a language they did not know--and others recognized the language and understood it. I've heard that story *many times!*

    Certainly some may have a "prayer language." I'm referring to the Pentecostal doctrine which says that in order to be properly Baptized in the Spirit one must speak in tongues, and have his own prayer language. I don't believe that. It certainly isn't true for me. And Paul seemed to imply that it isn't true that all Christians are supposed to exercise tongues. The Holy Spirit selects who has what spiritual gifts. Sorry I gave the impression I was discounting *your gift!*

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mpumalanga, South Africa
    Posts
    54

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    1 Cor 14:18, 19
    …18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church, I would rather speak five coherent words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

    the Greek for tongue is γλώσσῃ (glōssē) which refers to an unknown tongue.

    However, if we go back to Acts 2:5, 6
    …5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound rang out, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking his own language.

    This refers to an official language that was unknown to the disciples.

    After the Tower of Babel, in Gen 11, people began to speak in other languages (could perhaps also be referred to as "other tongues") and they could not understand one another.

    Many of the Jews had been living in captivity in Babylon for so long and many were born in captivity and they had to speak the language of their captives - Chaldean, Aramaic etc. So there was a necessity for the priests who would read the Scriptures in Hebrew, but then had to translate into the languages that the Jews were speaking at that time in Babylon, in order for them to understand. Remember, they were captive in Babylon for 70 years, so there were children who were raised only knowing the languages spoken in Babylon and did not know or understand Hebrew.

    So, the tongues spoken of in Acts 2, refers to the fact that people heard the disciples speaking in each one's language - languages that the disciples did not know, but the Spirit gave them the utterance to speak in Aramaic, Chaldean and other languages. This is a gift of the Spirit and not necessarily an evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit.

    Paul said he would rather speak with understanding that in tongues in the church. Tongues is a sign to the unbeliever. That being the case, if one speaks in tongues and the unbeliever thinks that everyone has gone crazy because they are babbling, then that is no sign to the unbeliever. The unbeliever would have to understand what the person is saying. So if you are in church and the Holy Spirit gives you a tongue for someone in the congregation, that person would then bring a tongue perhaps in Greek, Portuguese, Mandarin or such like for a person who is there to know that God is speaking directly to them.
    Also, when we speak in tongues, we are edifying ourselves, because no one understands us, but God does - 1 Cor 14:2-4

    I have been filled with the Holy Spirit and I do pray in tongues and I found at one stage my prayer time was being taken up with praying in tongues and I also found that I was becoming a lazy prayer because when I didn't know what to pray, I simply resorted to praying in tongues.

    At a stage I was challenged, as I found myself beginning to pray in tongues as the weirdest of times and possibly very inopportune times and they came out of my mouth, outside of my will or outside of my deciding to pray in tongues - not sure if I am being very clear here. When I realised this, I prayed and ask God to show me what was going on and it was then I was challenged to start praying only in English.

    I was at an absolute loss and didn't really know how to pray.

    So what I am saying is that there is a place for tongues in the privacy of our homes, however, don't allow yourself to become a lazy prayer because it is easy to switch to tongues.

    the other thing is, in church, we need to be praying in a language everyone can understand, or how else will those around you be able to stand in agreement with you?

    If you are in worship in a church and your spirit is communicating with God privately, it is a time where, when we are overwhelmed and at a loss for words, we can then resort to tongues and pour our hearts out to God.

    So is tongues the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit? No, it isn't. The fruit of the Spirit is the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit. Tongues is the Holy Spirit helping us to pray when we don't know what to pray.

    Just to add, when we pray in our own home language, we can also be praying in the Spirit as the Holy Spirit begins to reveal things to us and shows us what to pray. So praying in the Spirit is not limited to tongues.

    Read the books the Kneeling Christian and such books - you will find out how men of old prayed powerfully in the Spirit, in their own home languages.

    Let us be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and let us pray without ceasing.

    PS. Speaking with new tongues - could this perhaps refer to speaking differently? Perhaps our new tongue is speaking the Word of God rather than focusing on ME and my problems, cursing, swearing and such like. We now speak new tongues - purity?

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,565

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendac View Post
    1 Cor 14:18, 19
    …18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church, I would rather speak five coherent words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

    the Greek for tongue is γλώσσῃ (glōssē) which refers to an unknown tongue.

    However, if we go back to Acts 2:5, 6
    …5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound rang out, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking his own language.

    This refers to an official language that was unknown to the disciples.

    After the Tower of Babel, in Gen 11, people began to speak in other languages (could perhaps also be referred to as "other tongues") and they could not understand one another.

    Many of the Jews had been living in captivity in Babylon for so long and many were born in captivity and they had to speak the language of their captives - Chaldean, Aramaic etc. So there was a necessity for the priests who would read the Scriptures in Hebrew, but then had to translate into the languages that the Jews were speaking at that time in Babylon, in order for them to understand. Remember, they were captive in Babylon for 70 years, so there were children who were raised only knowing the languages spoken in Babylon and did not know or understand Hebrew.

    So, the tongues spoken of in Acts 2, refers to the fact that people heard the disciples speaking in each one's language - languages that the disciples did not know, but the Spirit gave them the utterance to speak in Aramaic, Chaldean and other languages. This is a gift of the Spirit and not necessarily an evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit.

    Paul said he would rather speak with understanding that in tongues in the church. Tongues is a sign to the unbeliever. That being the case, if one speaks in tongues and the unbeliever thinks that everyone has gone crazy because they are babbling, then that is no sign to the unbeliever. The unbeliever would have to understand what the person is saying. So if you are in church and the Holy Spirit gives you a tongue for someone in the congregation, that person would then bring a tongue perhaps in Greek, Portuguese, Mandarin or such like for a person who is there to know that God is speaking directly to them.
    Also, when we speak in tongues, we are edifying ourselves, because no one understands us, but God does - 1 Cor 14:2-4

    I have been filled with the Holy Spirit and I do pray in tongues and I found at one stage my prayer time was being taken up with praying in tongues and I also found that I was becoming a lazy prayer because when I didn't know what to pray, I simply resorted to praying in tongues.

    At a stage I was challenged, as I found myself beginning to pray in tongues as the weirdest of times and possibly very inopportune times and they came out of my mouth, outside of my will or outside of my deciding to pray in tongues - not sure if I am being very clear here. When I realised this, I prayed and ask God to show me what was going on and it was then I was challenged to start praying only in English.

    I was at an absolute loss and didn't really know how to pray.

    So what I am saying is that there is a place for tongues in the privacy of our homes, however, don't allow yourself to become a lazy prayer because it is easy to switch to tongues.

    the other thing is, in church, we need to be praying in a language everyone can understand, or how else will those around you be able to stand in agreement with you?

    If you are in worship in a church and your spirit is communicating with God privately, it is a time where, when we are overwhelmed and at a loss for words, we can then resort to tongues and pour our hearts out to God.

    So is tongues the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit? No, it isn't. The fruit of the Spirit is the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit. Tongues is the Holy Spirit helping us to pray when we don't know what to pray.

    Just to add, when we pray in our own home language, we can also be praying in the Spirit as the Holy Spirit begins to reveal things to us and shows us what to pray. So praying in the Spirit is not limited to tongues.

    Read the books the Kneeling Christian and such books - you will find out how men of old prayed powerfully in the Spirit, in their own home languages.

    Let us be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and let us pray without ceasing.

    PS. Speaking with new tongues - could this perhaps refer to speaking differently? Perhaps our new tongue is speaking the Word of God rather than focusing on ME and my problems, cursing, swearing and such like. We now speak new tongues - purity?
    My thought is that tongues is indeed a sign of being filled with the Spirit. But it is only one of many signs. All may be given to do it at a particular time, but for the most part, God wants individuals to focus on particular gifts. Some focus on prophecy, and others focus on administration. Different gifts, and different individuals. One individual may have several gifts to focus upon, depending on his ministry position.

    People in the OT did not have to speak in tongues in order to be called into the ministry of a prophet. I'm not aware of any prophet that had to speak in tongues to qualify as one led by the Spirit?

    As for speaking in tongues, it is a sign for unbelievers, because unbelievers do not want to hear the truth. That's why God sent Israel into foreign lands, because they did not want to hear their own prophets.

    But tongues are for believers if they are translated, or interpreted. This would be like Daniel interpreting Nebuchadnezzar's dream, or Joseph interpreting the dreams of Pharoah's servants. God wishes to speak to His people intelligibly, and not just do supernatural tricks for them.

    The purpose of the gifts of the Spirit is to build up believers. When they respond to God's intelligible word to them, they are able to draw upon the power and guidance of God for life and ministry. God wants us to walk in a supernatural relationship with Himself, with real communication of God's truth to our hearts and minds.

    Tongues simply opens up the door for our doubting hearts to meet a supernatural God. If we pray, and if we obey, we will come to understand what He is actually wanting to say to us. He wants to first of all meet with us. And secondly, He wants to communicate with us.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mpumalanga, South Africa
    Posts
    54

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    My thought is that tongues is indeed a sign of being filled with the Spirit. But it is only one of many signs. All may be given to do it at a particular time, but for the most part, God wants individuals to focus on particular gifts. Some focus on prophecy, and others focus on administration. Different gifts, and different individuals. One individual may have several gifts to focus upon, depending on his ministry position.

    People in the OT did not have to speak in tongues in order to be called into the ministry of a prophet. I'm not aware of any prophet that had to speak in tongues to qualify as one led by the Spirit?

    As for speaking in tongues, it is a sign for unbelievers, because unbelievers do not want to hear the truth. That's why God sent Israel into foreign lands, because they did not want to hear their own prophets.

    But tongues are for believers if they are translated, or interpreted. This would be like Daniel interpreting Nebuchadnezzar's dream, or Joseph interpreting the dreams of Pharoah's servants. God wishes to speak to His people intelligibly, and not just do supernatural tricks for them.

    The purpose of the gifts of the Spirit is to build up believers. When they respond to God's intelligible word to them, they are able to draw upon the power and guidance of God for life and ministry. God wants us to walk in a supernatural relationship with Himself, with real communication of God's truth to our hearts and minds.

    Tongues simply opens up the door for our doubting hearts to meet a supernatural God. If we pray, and if we obey, we will come to understand what He is actually wanting to say to us. He wants to first of all meet with us. And secondly, He wants to communicate with us.
    You are right, there were no tongues as such in the OT, just different languages.

    Tongues as a sign for unbelievers, would involve tongues and interpretation or "other tongues" which would mean other languages which you are unable to speak and the Holy Spirit gives you the gift of tongues for that specific time for a specific purpose and obviously to minister to an unbeliever.

    The purpose of the gifts of the Spirit is to build up believers. When they respond to God's intelligible word to them, they are able to draw upon the power and guidance of God for life and ministry. God wants us to walk in a supernatural relationship with Himself, with real communication of God's truth to our hearts and minds.

    Absolutely, the gifts to build us up.

    A difficulty I have in respect of tongues (and as I said, I do still pray in tongues in private prayer), however, the difficulty I have is the fact that when Jesus was baptised, He prayed and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove (Luke 3:21, 22) - nowhere do I see in Scripture though that Jesus prayed in tongues. When the disciples asked Him to teach them how to pray, He taught them what we know as the Lord's Prayer. I understand that the Holy Spirit had not been received by them yet, but Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit and with power and yet did not speak in tongues.

    There is a place for praying in the spirit, that does not involve tongues. As I say we become lazy prayers and we tend to do this thing of "Lord I lift up ___________ and then we just go off in tongues, instead of asking the Holy Spirit what it is that He would have us pray for that person. We live in a "microwave" world and we tend to microwave our prayers with tongues, simply because there isn't time to sit and listen to what the Holy Spirit wants to tell us. I am not saying that all have this problem, but I certainly did and I know many others who do the same thing, and have come through it. It wasn't easy by any means, because tongues takes no thought. Praying in the spirit in your home language for a person takes a huge sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and to hear what He is saying and showing us.

    The interpretation of dreams is quite different, and that is something that the Holy Spirit will show us as we take time in prayer. I believe this is speaking what the Holy Spirit is showing us in our spirit - just as He speaks to us when we start entering into a new season and He begins to show us things to come. There are things in life that at times we really don't understand, just like Nebuchadnezzar's dreams, but as we take them to the Father in prayer, the Holy Spirit gives us the revelation.

    But I must say, there are so many opinions of tongues, and I have been a "tongue prayer" for a very long time. However, last year, whilst taking stock of my life including my prayer life, this question was raised in my heart and now I try to do most of my praying in English, being sensitive to the Holy Spirit. It is not an easy task when you have been praying in tongues most of the time for about 40 years. It is hard, but it is wonderful, because you have go get in touch with your spirit, the Holy Spirit, your thoughts and emotions too, making sure that they are going in the direction of the Holy Spirit. Not sure if I am making sense... I believe as our minds are renewed more and more we begin to pray more and more from the very heart of God.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,565

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendac View Post
    You are right, there were no tongues as such in the OT, just different languages.

    Tongues as a sign for unbelievers, would involve tongues and interpretation or "other tongues" which would mean other languages which you are unable to speak and the Holy Spirit gives you the gift of tongues for that specific time for a specific purpose and obviously to minister to an unbeliever.
    Well, Brendac, I personally think that tongues are *not* for ministering to unbelievers. They are uninterested in tongues, and at any rate, do not understand them. I think they are a "sign" of judgment against unbelievers, because in rejecting God they pour contempt on the gift of tongues as a fake display of divine power. After all, "tongues," for the ancient Hebrews, was equated with the foreign language spoken by their captors!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendac
    The purpose of the gifts of the Spirit is to build up believers. When they respond to God's intelligible word to them, they are able to draw upon the power and guidance of God for life and ministry. God wants us to walk in a supernatural relationship with Himself, with real communication of God's truth to our hearts and minds.

    Absolutely, the gifts to build us up.

    A difficulty I have in respect of tongues (and as I said, I do still pray in tongues in private prayer), however, the difficulty I have is the fact that when Jesus was baptised, He prayed and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove (Luke 3:21, 22) - nowhere do I see in Scripture though that Jesus prayed in tongues. When the disciples asked Him to teach them how to pray, He taught them what we know as the Lord's Prayer. I understand that the Holy Spirit had not been received by them yet, but Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit and with power and yet did not speak in tongues.
    Some people say that Jesus spoke in tongues on the cross when he declared something in another language. However, I agree with you. There is no methodology existing in Jesus, or even in the NT, which indicates that tongues is the 1st step in being filled or led by the Spirit. The Day of Pentecost simply happened as it did, beginning with a mass display of tongues among the obedient believers in Jerusalem.

    We may surmise all day long about why tongues was the initial sign on Pentecost, and why all the Christians gathered in Jerusalem did that. However, there is no biblical theology indicating we must all speak in tongues to show we're filled with the Spirit. It simply happened on a few occasions.

    We have no indication that those who spoke in tongues on Pentecost continued to do so later, though we know Paul encouraged its use as a prayer language. And Paul even seems to indicate that not all Christians exercise the gift of tongues. He asks, rhetorically, "Do all speak in tongues?" The answer, obviously, is no. And this is not to condemn those who do not, but to show that God has different preferences for individual believers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendac
    There is a place for praying in the spirit, that does not involve tongues. As I say we become lazy prayers and we tend to do this thing of "Lord I lift up ___________ and then we just go off in tongues, instead of asking the Holy Spirit what it is that He would have us pray for that person. We live in a "microwave" world and we tend to microwave our prayers with tongues, simply because there isn't time to sit and listen to what the Holy Spirit wants to tell us. I am not saying that all have this problem, but I certainly did and I know many others who do the same thing, and have come through it. It wasn't easy by any means, because tongues takes no thought. Praying in the spirit in your home language for a person takes a huge sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and to hear what He is saying and showing us.
    I agree. It's a great thing to simply come into the presence of the Lord, to enjoy His presence. But it is even more important to communicate with Him--not just one way, from us to Him, but also from Him to us. We have to be willing to be quiet and submissive, to respond to the needs of others, and not just to our own interests.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendac
    The interpretation of dreams is quite different, and that is something that the Holy Spirit will show us as we take time in prayer. I believe this is speaking what the Holy Spirit is showing us in our spirit - just as He speaks to us when we start entering into a new season and He begins to show us things to come. There are things in life that at times we really don't understand, just like Nebuchadnezzar's dreams, but as we take them to the Father in prayer, the Holy Spirit gives us the revelation.
    I was, however, comparing tongues and interpretation of tongues with the need to *hear from God,* and not just experience tongues. Paul encouraged the Corinthians to not just experience God in tongues, but to even more seek to hear from God, to understand God, to be guided by God intelligently.

    I don't think supernatural gifts are something that we can just go out and get, or just claim as our birthright as Christians. The Holy Spirit gives gifts as He wills--not as we will. Some may dream dreams, and others may see visions. Some may speak in tongues and interpret them. Others may prophecy or teach by revelation. Some focus on supernatural healing. Others focus on evangelization. We must know who we are. And we must recognize others for who they are. Then we can work together as one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendac
    But I must say, there are so many opinions of tongues, and I have been a "tongue prayer" for a very long time. However, last year, whilst taking stock of my life including my prayer life, this question was raised in my heart and now I try to do most of my praying in English, being sensitive to the Holy Spirit. It is not an easy task when you have been praying in tongues most of the time for about 40 years. It is hard, but it is wonderful, because you have go get in touch with your spirit, the Holy Spirit, your thoughts and emotions too, making sure that they are going in the direction of the Holy Spirit. Not sure if I am making sense... I believe as our minds are renewed more and more we begin to pray more and more from the very heart of God.
    I absolutely understand. Good word. Thank you!

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sandmountain Alabama
    Posts
    429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendac View Post
    So, the tongues spoken of in Acts 2, refers to the fact that people heard the disciples speaking in each one's language - languages that the disciples did not know, but the Spirit gave them the utterance to speak in Aramaic, Chaldean and other languages. This is a gift of the Spirit and not necessarily an evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit.


    Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

    If you are a born again Christian and are praying or speaking and the spirit is in control of the unknown tongue that comes out of your mouth ,Yes you are filled with the Holy Spirit !
    Last edited by hawkman; Aug 9th 2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: clarify

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,565

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post


    Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

    If you are a born again Christian and are praying or speaking and the spirit is in control of the unknown tongue that comes out of your mouth ,Yes you are filled with the Holy Spirit !
    Absolutely! Nobody can say "Jesus is Lord" apart from the Holy Spirit. Neither can anybody speak in tongues (in the Christian sense) without being filled with the Spirit. Amen!

    I would hasten to add that tongues is the *least* of the supernatural gifts. I would encourage every Christian, who obeys God, to pursue a gift/gifts of the Spirit. The supernatural demonstration of divine wisdom and power is what convinces the world of the reality of God, and also, the redemption that is in Christ.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,489

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Absolutely! Nobody can say "Jesus is Lord" apart from the Holy Spirit. Neither can anybody speak in tongues (in the Christian sense) without being filled with the Spirit. Amen!

    I would hasten to add that tongues is the *least* of the supernatural gifts. I would encourage every Christian, who obeys God, to pursue a gift/gifts of the Spirit. The supernatural demonstration of divine wisdom and power is what convinces the world of the reality of God, and also, the redemption that is in Christ.
    Praise the Lord! By the way, where does the Bible say that tongues is the least of the gifts?

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,565

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    Praise the Lord! By the way, where does the Bible say that tongues is the least of the gifts?
    It is based on the following:
    1 Cor 13.29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts...
    14.4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified....
    18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.


    The idea is that the revelational gifts and the power gifts trump a gift that only communicates to the individual believer. Tongues only ministers to the one person. The other gifts minister to others. Hence, we see tongues, without interpretation, as less than the other gifts. Paul argued that we should seek the "greater gifts" for just this reason.

    Of course, if you're implying that tongues is not less important simply because we are to seek the greater gifts, I would agree with you. Tongues, even though lesser in importance, remain equally important together with all of the gifts. We are simply to pursue the higher gifts, without neglecting the lower gifts. We are to seek to be a servant to all, if possible, and not just to ourselves.

    It is arguable as to whether we should all exercise tongues. I don't. I've been in Pentecostal churches since 1971, but was coerced to utter gibberish, which I now hate myself for. I'm the kind of person who God must prove Himself to, in order to be sure a word is really from Him. Anything else I flush down the toilet. Sorry, that's how I feel about it.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,489

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Your text does not say that tongues are the least. It simply says that for edifying others it should only be used unless there's an interpretation. I've heard the 'least' statement a thousand times and after a while people just start to accept it. Paul is giving a specific situation and explaining which gift is more appropriate for that situation. If I am ministering to someone who is not sick, then I do not need the gift of healing to work. That doesn't make it less. There is no ranking of the 9 gifts on the Spirit. God wouldn't have given them if they weren't important and needed.

    You may disagree with me, but if that's the only text you have to support the position, it's really just an opinion.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    13,188
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    Your text does not say that tongues are the least.
    1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

    Tongues here is listed last or the least after the first, second, third etc etc...Paul lists everything in order of importance. Of course he is speaking about being able to speak foreign languages not this other thing found in some churches.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    9,565

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    Your text does not say that tongues are the least. It simply says that for edifying others it should only be used unless there's an interpretation. I've heard the 'least' statement a thousand times and after a while people just start to accept it. Paul is giving a specific situation and explaining which gift is more appropriate for that situation. If I am ministering to someone who is not sick, then I do not need the gift of healing to work. That doesn't make it less. There is no ranking of the 9 gifts on the Spirit. God wouldn't have given them if they weren't important and needed.

    You may disagree with me, but if that's the only text you have to support the position, it's really just an opinion.
    Yes, I told you my opinion that tongues is the least among those mentioned because of what Paul said in those verses. It seems to me that all of the other gifts Paul mentions minister to others, beyond just the self. And Paul's point is that any gift that ministers to more than just the self is *better.* For me, that makes tongues the least effective and least important gift.

    I would hasten to add that this does not mean tongues is unimportant. Paul brags that he spoke in tongues more than all others that he knew. He obviously felt it was that important. However, in Paul's mind tongues is less important than the other gifts because *it only ministers to the self.* If this does not communicate to you what I said, then yes, we have different opinions.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mpumalanga, South Africa
    Posts
    54

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

    Tongues here is listed last or the least after the first, second, third etc etc...Paul lists everything in order of importance. Of course he is speaking about being able to speak foreign languages not this other thing found in some churches.
    Amen, I totally agree ewq1938. I heard someone the other day say on the TV that if you say Abinadab really fast three times you will be speaking in tongues and someone else some time ago, threw out a word to the audience and said if they were not yet speaking in tongues, say this word really fast and you will be speaking in tongues... how sad that some have reduced tongues to "a word".

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mpumalanga, South Africa
    Posts
    54

    Re: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Yes, I told you my opinion that tongues is the least among those mentioned because of what Paul said in those verses. It seems to me that all of the other gifts Paul mentions minister to others, beyond just the self. And Paul's point is that any gift that ministers to more than just the self is *better.* For me, that makes tongues the least effective and least important gift.

    I would hasten to add that this does not mean tongues is unimportant. Paul brags that he spoke in tongues more than all others that he knew. He obviously felt it was that important. However, in Paul's mind tongues is less important than the other gifts because *it only ministers to the self.* If this does not communicate to you what I said, then yes, we have different opinions.
    Absolutely randyk, you are so right, however, as you say, it does not mean that tongues are unimportant, and we do need to look at edifying and encouraging one another.

    Thank you so much for your input.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •