Page 1 of 17 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

Does The Gift of Tongues Exist Today?

I while back ago I visited a penicostal school and at one of their meeting I heard them speaking in tongues. Some say people today people can still do it just like they did in the New Testiment others say it no longer exists and when somebody speaks in tongues now days it is of satan. So which one do you guys think it is?

I speak in tongues and I promise u that its not from satan.

I speak in tongues for the Glory of God.
    The Holy Spirit is not only the Giver, but the Maintainer of all life in the soul.

Yep! The gift of tongues exists today. No doubt about it.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries
    After many years of doubt about this gift, God moved me to a church that has opened my eyes. Yes, the gift is active today.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    After many years of doubt about this gift, God moved me to a church that has opened my eyes. Yes, the gift is active today.
    Praise God for that!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whispering Grace View Post
    Praise God for that!
    Those crazy Pentecostals!

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0 View Post
    Let me be the black sheep of the family here. It still exists. But it isn't from God. We all know Satan comes as an angel of light. So he will be more than happy to give people signs and wonders that look holy but are not.

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

People say tongues is further revelation from God. Rather to expound on a verse or whatever. But God says clearly that we are not to add to His word the bible.

Rev 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.
    What people say that tongues is "further revelation from God?" Been Pentecostal all my life and I've never heard any such thing as that taught.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    I while back ago I visited a penicostal school and at one of their meeting I heard them speaking in tongues. Some say people today people can still do it just like they did in the New Testiment others say it no longer exists and when somebody speaks in tongues now days it is of satan. So which one do you guys think it is?
    I say don't fight or argue about it. It's not a heaven or hell issue.

If you want to know more, do your own study of it in the bible. There are many people on this forum that do speak in tongues, and many who don't. You will get many different responses. When in doubt - go back to the Book (bible)!

Let me be the black sheep of the family here. It still exists. But it isn't from God. We all know Satan comes as an angel of light. So he will be more than happy to give people signs and wonders that look holy but are not.

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

People say tongues is further revelation from God. Rather to expound on a verse or whatever. But God says clearly that we are not to add to His word the bible.

Rev 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.
    At what point did Tongues cease to be of God, and now all we have is the counterfeit?

And the quote in revelations - is in regards to the book of revelations - not the entire scripture. Not that I am saying it is ok to add to any part of the bible, just wanted to point out you are using the verse far out of context by applying it to the entire scripture.

Be Blessed!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by obeytheword View Post
    At what point did Tongues cease to be of God, and now all we have is the counterfeit?

And the quote in revelations - is in regards to the book of revelations - not the entire scripture. Not that I am saying it is ok to add to any part of the bible, just wanted to point out you are using the verse far out of context by applying it to the entire scripture.

Be Blessed!
    Context? Who uses that any longer?

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Quote Originally Posted by obeytheword View Post

Be Blessed!
    Guys, let's don't argue about it. This has been argued to death....the horse is dead!

Let there be liberty in the non-essentials and unity in the essentials. Reach folks for Christ and we will all do well.

Tongues are for a sign!!!!!

1 Cor 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

1 Cor 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

When did God decide not to give to some the gift of tongues?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Some say people today... can still do it just like they did in the New Testiment others say it no longer exists and when somebody speaks in tongues now days it is of satan. So which one do you guys think it is?
    Not meaning to step on anyone's toes, I think it's both and neither.

I am of one of those Reformed traditions who have responsively taken a very strong cessasionalist position against modern tongues-speaking (glossolalia & xenoglossy) as being extraordinary to God's plans. This position was mostly reactive to Pentecostalism of the early 1900s and became somewhat entrenched in the 1960s-70s when the Charismatic Movement's renewed interest in supernatural "gifts of the Spirit" began to strongly influence traditional mainstream churches after Pentecostalism came into its own as mainstrean Christian denominaions.

Even though I've always been supportive of the theological and historical foundations of a cessationist understanding regarding the original New Testament and Old Testament purposes served by gifts of such supernatural import and evidential display, and that their practice has completed God's purposed use in primary aspect - that is, God's primary purpose of the miraculous gifts as an initial supernatural sign of approved sanction (which certifiably waned after the Apostles and 1st generation of Christians had seen the establishment of the Christian Church), and even though other continuing gifts like teaching and prophesy can be similarly misused, deceptively pretended, and purposefully engaged for satanic intent; I never bought into the whole dogmatic proclamation that speaking in tongues was exclusively deamonic and contrary to the will and Word of God.

Sure, I've seen it used or pretended in either non-Biblical fashion or non-Biblical disorderliness, and subject to other human frailties such as pride, fear, and selfish ambition, but I also know many a sincere and humble Christian who claims a possession and relevance of the gift, and I've seen it used according to Biblical standards and guidelines on a few occassions.

My main concerns regarding glossolalia specifically, are the same concerns and dangers made much of in the New Testament accounts, particularly at the church in Corinth, where their misuse was contributory to pride, disorder, and division within the church.

Speaking in tongues was never an important element of Christ's earthly ministry, and, just as the raising of the dead was important as a dramatic and extraordinary signature of God's power at work in Jesus and certain Apostles, the clamour for such a sign is readily and repeatedly admonished by Jesus as antithetic to a desired exercise and value of faith in the life of a believer. That is, it's well and good to see the nailprints in Jesus' hands and feet, and to visibly see him risen from the dead, but he would much rather we trust and have belief on the merit of God's message in Scripture, without seeing. Even deamons tremble at the fact of God, knowing both His existence and authority, and yet such knowledge by evidentiary signs does not effect repentance, obedience, and a life honouring God.

Still, as one not exercising the gift, I do not discount the value that a genuine speaking in toungues may have in the life of a believer. I have Spanish-speaking friends I wish I could better communicate with in their own language, even though they speak my language of English. I'm sure that speaking in tongues, especially in a 'heavenly language' and 'prayer language' as many claim using the gift, gives both an assurance of familial ties and an aspect of heavenly citizenship.

cwb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    Those crazy Pentecostals!
    It is not only Pentecostals who speak in tongues. I have met many Christians who don't belong to a Pentecostal church is speak in tongues.

Thread Information