Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54

Thread: Did Eve add to the word of God?

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudburst View Post
    This brings up a very interesting point....the fact that the curse didn't come into effect until both of them had partaken of the fruit. When Eve first consumed it, her eyes were not immediately opened...It wasn't until Adam also ate of the fruit that both of their eyes were opened.

    This leads me to conclude that, during the gap of time between Eve's partaking of the fruit, and Adam partaking of it (the period of time wherein Eve gave Adam to eat of the fruit), Eve probably did think God to be untruthful. Not only that, but it makes sense that, when Adam saw that his wife had eaten, and her eyes did not become opened, he probably figured that God had been dishonest with them.

    I do believe that they were quite shocked when their eyes were finally opened, not just because of the drastic change which took place within them, but because they realized that God had been telling the truth, even after they had falsely concluded that He hadn't.

    It's funny....a lot of people conclude that their eyes were opened because of some property within the fruit, but if this had been the case, then Eve's eyes would have immediately been opened upon her consumption of it, which obviously was not the case, because we all know that the curse didn't come into effect until after both of them had partaken.

    I also believe that Satan played on this when he deceived Eve, knowing full well that, after she had partaken, and noticed no difference, she would have doubted God....and that Adam, seeing this, would also have doubted the validity of God's statement.
    That's why I completely agree with the above poster who emphasized the fact that they didn't trust God. Instead, they trusted the serpent, which led them to trust their own instincts (the fact that nothing happened after Eve ate), rather than the word of God. This incident just emphasizes our need to trust the Lord, despite appearances.



    I personally believe that Eve got her information from Adam. As we know that Adam did not lie, then we are left with 2 possibilities. Either God told Adam to tell Eve not to touch it, or Adam added that part on himself, which I find highly improbable, as this would constitute him adding to God's Word.

    If Adam had directly instructed Eve instead of God, then that would have left the perfect opportunity for Satan to deceive Eve. Because Eve would not have received the command directly from God, this would have left a huge opportunity for Eve to question it. After all, she would not have received the command directly from God, but from Adam.

    Eve could have thought "What if God didn't really say that? After all, Adam was the one who told me...not God. What if Adam misinformed me?"
    If God had told her directly, it would have been much easier for her to refute Satan's lie, but the fact that she didn't hear it directly from God could have left some window of doubt.
    This would open up a whole new can of worms, as Satan would be playing, not only on what God said, but also on Eve's trust of Adam. Not only would Satan be casting doubt on God's word, but also on Adam's...he was planting seeds of distrust, not only on the divine level, but also on the human level.

    IMO, it would make logical sense that, since Eve questioned Adam's authority, and his integrity, by eating of the fruit....basically, she distrusted the accuracy of his word....a rift occurred between Adam and Eve. This was part of the curse...because Eve questioned the word which God had given her through Adam. While both of them rebelled against God, it was Adam who directly rebelled against Him, as God gave him the word directly....Eve indirectly rebelled, but she was more or less rebelling against Adam's instruction....then, when Adam noticed that the fruit had not immediately affected Eve, that's when he decided to rebel.

    It has been said that sin is passed through the seed of the man, and not the woman. If it was Adam who directly rebelled against God, then this would make perfect sense.
    Cloudburst

    Why do you want to change the word of God or add to it?

    There is absolutely no reason to suspect that Eve lied. There is no indication by scripture. Where did God say that he gave you all the details?

    With this line of reasoning you could make the Bible say whatever you wanted it to say.

    In Jesus Christ, terrell

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    2,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tgallison View Post
    Cloudburst

    Why do you want to change the word of God or add to it?

    There is absolutely no reason to suspect that Eve lied. There is no indication by scripture. Where did God say that he gave you all the details?

    With this line of reasoning you could make the Bible say whatever you wanted it to say.

    In Jesus Christ, terrell
    Hi, terrell;

    Oh, my goodness. That is NOT what I was trying to say....please don't misconstrue my intentions.

    I re-read my post, and I'm sorry, I'm trying to figure out where you got the impression that I had accused Eve of lying.
    What I had said was that I thought that she had gotten her information from Adam rather than God, and this was how Satan was able to deceive her into thinking that may not have been what God said.

    My above analysis is merely my interpretation, and as an interpretation, it is not infallible.....but I do not believe that I added to the Word of God. I would like to know how you assessed that.

    My points were based on the following:

    -the fact that both of their eyes were opened at the same time...after Adam ate the fruit. The Bible does specifically state that, and I was merely saying that this made it easier for Eve to mistrust God

    -the fact that the Bible does not specifically state that God directly spoke the commandment to Eve. This leaves us with 2 possibilities: either Adam informed Eve about God's commandment, or God informed her directly.

    If Adam had informed Eve of the commandment, rather than God directly, than I believe that it would have been much easier for Eve to doubt when Satan asked her "Did God really say that?" If God Himself had directly said that to Eve, then I don't believe she would have been as prone to question.

    I do think a lot of it has to do with the order of things, and the fact that God gave man authority over the woman...She was to trust Adam, as the one whom God had appointed over her.

    In no way do I think that Eve lied....the Bible doesn't say that God directly gave Eve the commandment, but it does say that He directly gave it to Adam, so I don't think my assumptions are the equivalent of adding to the word of God.
    It was still God's commandment to both of them, and they still rebelled when they ate of the fruit. That is without question. What is in question is who directly relayed the commandment to Eve.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,773
    It seems to me that by Eve adding "neither shall you touch it", that is how Satan was able to qualify his "ye shall not surely die" comment. IOW, ye shall not surely die - for merely touching it (there was a sort of truth in that). But Eve offering that tidbit is what cracked open the door in this discussion for deceit to enter in. Eve may not have ever clearly formulated this thought before in her mind until this challenge was presented. And she might have been kept safe if she had stuck to what God did say as Jesus did when He was confronted with the devil's scripture twisting.

    If there is anything to meditate upon in this discussion between Eve and the serpent, it is how her mind was changed which was the prelude to the birth of sin. Until she offered the fruit to Adam and he ate, she had not yet trespassed, which may be why their eyes were opened at the same time after Adam ate the fruit. What the serpent did to her, she in turn did to Adam and that was when the glory of God departed from them both.

    Judas experienced a similar phenomenon but only after he had done his dastardly deed - it was only then that devatation came upon him for what he had done. Ananias & Saphira also, but only when they actually lied about what they were doing. Simon the sorcerer too had a similar experience. And so have I. Having your eyes opened after the fact is quite a sobering experience.

    There is a scriptural principle that sin must reach its fullness before judgment comes. No doubt when all the evidence that is needed for it is in.

    Does anyone else find it curious that although Adam live 900 plus years, we are told no more about his struggles with sin? Could be he learned his lesson!
    Robin

    Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
    And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
    Those who compromise with Christ’s enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jesus Christ is Lord and God.
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Marksfan View Post
    You cannot prove a negative! Just like elsewhere you say
    No, that's just facts. Someone like yourself claims something is true, but when challenged cannot provide any scriptures to document it.



    Ther is prima facie evidence either that Adam distorted God's when he told Eve or Eve distorted what God told her
    "In common law jurisdictions, prima facie denotes evidence that (unless rebutted) would be sufficient to prove a particular proposition or fact."

    Consider that claim of yours rebutted. You have no evidence at all of what God told Eve other than her own testimony. After the sinning occurs, God lists the crimes and punishments and doesn't mention anything about Eve adding to his Word. I have no doubt that Eve would be found not guilty of adding to God's word. I think the prosecution should rest their case.



    - those are the only two possibilities that we can reasonably infer from the text. There is no other way in which Eve could have come to that knowledge and we can safely conclude that God did not command her not to touch it
    We cannot "safely conclude" things that have no scriptural basis. All we do know is that what Eve says God told her is *slighty different* than what he told Adam. The difference is so small that it makes no sense at all to even make an issue of it.




    Naphal, I find it impossible to reason with you - are you seriously suggesting that it would have been OK for Eve to have eaten from this tree?
    What? Where in the world would you get that?



    That Adam was forbidden but Eve wasn't? It's clear that God either expected Adam to tell Eve the command or maybe told him to or he told Eve Himself - these are good and necessary inferences - if I'm wrong, what is your explanation?
    I believe Eve that God told her not to touch or eat the fruit! That should have been clear by now.


    I am not prepared to discuss matters with you further.

    Thank you! I was just about to say something similar! Have a nice weekend
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jesus Christ is Lord and God.
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudburst View Post
    It has been said that sin is passed through the seed of the man, and not the woman. If it was Adam who directly rebelled against God, then this would make perfect sense.
    That's said, but it's not factual. I also disagree with the concept that Eve's eyes weren't opened up until Adam's were. The text does not suggest this. It happened the same time for them, and they ate at the same time (within moments).
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    2,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphal View Post
    That's said, but it's not factual.
    I've heard this said on more than one occasion, by more than one teacher. It makes sense to me.

    I also disagree with the concept that Eve's eyes weren't opened up until Adam's were. The text does not suggest this.
    The text does not indicate the amount of time that transpired between the time that Eve ate, and the time that Adam ate, but it DOES indicate that their eyes were opened simultaneously:

    Gen. 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened....

    The word then indicates that both of their eyes were opened after "Eve gave to her husband with her, and he ate."


    It happened the same time for them, and they ate at the same time (within moments).
    Where in the text does it state that it happened within moments? It merely says that, when Adam was with Eve, then she offered him the fruit.
    The text also doesn't say that Adam was with Eve when she was talking to the serpent. If he were, then why didn't he say anything to the serpent, or try to stop her eating the fruit?
    Also, if Adam was there, why did the serpent only talk to Eve? It just doesn't make sense to me that if Adam were there, that he would just stand idly by and watch his wife do this without saying a single word.

    I honestly think he was elsewhere in the Garden.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jesus Christ is Lord and God.
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudburst View Post
    The text does not indicate the amount of time that transpired between the time that Eve ate, and the time that Adam ate, but it DOES indicate that their eyes were opened simultaneously:

    Gen. 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened....

    The word then indicates that both of their eyes were opened after "Eve gave to her husband with her, and he ate."
    I don't believe the text suggests it as much as you believe it does. It merely tells us their eyes are open after they have eaten.





    Where in the text does it state that it happened within moments?

    Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

    They ate at the same time, with Eve technically eating first but the difference in time is so small it isn't important.

    The text also doesn't say that Adam was with Eve when she was talking to the serpent. If he were, then why didn't he say anything to the serpent, or try to stop her eating the fruit?
    Also, if Adam was there, why did the serpent only talk to Eve? It just doesn't make sense to me that if Adam were there, that he would just stand idly by and watch his wife do this without saying a single word.

    I honestly think he was elsewhere in the Garden.

    He was there.


    Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

    I think he didn't stop her because he wanted her to eat it and he wanted to eat it.
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    2,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphal View Post
    I don't believe the text suggests it as much as you believe it does. It merely tells us their eyes are open after they have eaten.
    Yes, you are correct....but more specifically, after Adam had eaten. Their eyes were not opened until both of them had eaten.

    (1) Eve ate
    (2) She gave to Adam
    (3) He ate

    There was still that amount of time that transpired, and the Bible does not indicate how much time took place between Eve eating, and Adam eating.

    The way I see it (and this is merely an interpretation), Eve ate, realized that her eyes had not yet been opened, and gave to Adam, who also ate, seeing that his wife's eyes hadn't been opened. Then, as soon as he ate, the curse came into effect.




    Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

    They ate at the same time, with Eve technically eating first but the difference in time is so small it isn't important.
    The truth is, we just don't know how what the time difference was. It could have been mere seconds, as you have said, or it could have been several minutes. We just don't know.

    He was there.
    Yes, he was there....when she gave him the fruit. I seriously doubt that dam was there when the serpent deceived Eve....I believe that he was elsewhere in the Garden, and he came to her after she had already eaten.


    And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

    I think he didn't stop her because he wanted her to eat it and he wanted to eat it.
    WOW!!!! I had never thought of that, but IMO, that would make Adam a complete monster. Because HE wanted to disobey God, he was willing to let his wife be deceived, and go down with him, in order to become like God.
    I'm sorry, but I really don't buy that. I think that Adam loved his wife very much, and I don't see him allowing her to fall into deception like that just so that he could rebel.
    Last edited by Equipped_4_Love; Feb 24th 2008 at 10:13 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,652
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudburst View Post
    Yes, you are correct....but more specifically, after Adam had eaten. Their eyes were not eaten until both of them had eaten.

    (1) Eve ate
    (2) She gave to Adam
    (3) He ate

    There was still that amount of time that transpired, and the Bible does not indicate how much time took place between Eve eating, and Adam eating.
    Adam was there with Eve.

    The way I see it (and this is merely an interpretation), Eve ate, realized that her eyes had not yet been opened, and gave to Adam, who also ate, seeing that his wife's eyes hadn't been opened. Then, as soon as he ate, the curse came into effect.
    If it's an interpretation, then don't lean on it. Let the Spirit guide you into the knowledge of the scripture.


    The truth is, we just don't know how what the time difference was. It could have been mere seconds, as you have said, or it could have been several minutes. We just don't know.
    Either way, that's pretty soon. Besides, as you quoted below, Adam was with Eve.

    Yes, he was there....when she gave him the fruit. I seriously doubt that Adam was there when the serpent deceived Eve....I believe that he was elsewhere in the Garden, and he came to her after she had already eaten.

    WOW!!!! I had never thought of that, but IMO, that would make Adam a complete monster. Because HE wanted to disobey God, he was willing to let his wife be deceived, and go down with him, in order to become like God.
    I'm sorry, but I really don't buy that. I think that Adam loved his wife very much, and I don't see him allowing her to fall into deception like that just so that he could rebel.
    Look at this:

    1 Corinthians 7

    32But I want you to be free from concern. One who is unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord;
    33but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife, 34and his interests are divided. The woman who is unmarried, and the virgin, is concerned about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and spirit; but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
    Adam was more interested in pleasing his wife than God. If that makes him a monster, well, Eve wasn't much better. They were both more interested in pleasing the flesh and each other than the Lord who walked with them in the garden.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.


  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,352
    I've heard it said (and I think there is much truth in this) that part of Adamm's sin was in neglecting to protect Eve - Adam KNEW that he wasn't to eat and I believe he knew that Eve wasn't to either - God would hardly give His comand to one of them and not the other. To waht extent he was watching Eve is speculation but the context seems to be that he was at least an onlooker - at least just prior to Eve giving in, if not for the whole time he was there. His passivity as a husband and his lack of care for and protection of his wife no doubt contributed to his guilt and sin.

    But I think there is something to be said for the effects of eating the fruit not coming into play until Adam ate - because he was the federal head of the human race, not Eve - "as in Adam, all die" - "just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin" etc - without playing doen Eve's disobedience, it would seem that the effects of the Fall came into play (as cloudburst rightly says) when Adam ate.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    2,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by threebigrocks View Post
    Adam was there with Eve.
    Correct....The problem is, that the text doesn't specify how long he was with her. What the text DOES say is that the serpent spoke only to the woman, which would seem odd to me if Adam was there with her. Wouldn't he have spoken to both of them?

    I've read various opinions on this scenario.
    Some say he was with her when she spoke to the serpent....Others say he wasn't.
    Some say that she wandered off from, him and he came to her after she had eaten (this is not anti-Scriptural, as the text says that Adam was with her when she offered it to him. I don't see it specified that Adam was with her when she was deceived, but perhaps I am misinterpreting.)

    Others say that Adam was with her the whole time, but I am REALLY having trouble comprehending why he didn't say a thing to Eve, after God specifically gave the command to him, and he specifically gave it to Eve...Why when Satan challenged the commandment, he didn't intervene.

    Also, why didn't he correct Eve when she tacked on the extra commandment "we shall not touch it." Are we to believe that Adam was that feeble?

    If it's an interpretation, then don't lean on it. Let the Spirit guide you into the knowledge of the scripture.
    Amen to that!! Trust me, I am NOT relying on it....merely trying to get some feedback on it.

    Either way, that's pretty soon. Besides, as you quoted below, Adam was with Eve.
    Yes....at some point, he was, or else how could she have given it to him? What is in question here is not the fact that Adam was with Eve, but for how long, and at what point.
    The truth is, there are a lot of things about this event that God has decided not to reveal to us (like the conversation that no doubt transpired between Adam and Eve), and this is one of them.

    Look at this:

    1 Corinthians 7



    Adam was more interested in pleasing his wife than God. If that makes him a monster, well, Eve wasn't much better. They were both more interested in pleasing the flesh and each other than the Lord who walked with them in the garden.
    SO TRUE!!!! That is the main point of this account.
    When I had said he was a monster, I was referring to the previous poster who indicated that, because Adam wanted to rebel, that he was willing to let his wife go down with him, which I don't find plausible at all.
    I find it more plausible to believe that either he did not want to go against her wishes, or that he saw that she was not immediately affected after eating the fruit, and decided to do the same.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    2,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Marksfan View Post
    I've heard it said (and I think there is much truth in this) that part of Adamm's sin was in neglecting to protect Eve - Adam KNEW that he wasn't to eat and I believe he knew that Eve wasn't to either - God would hardly give His comand to one of them and not the other.
    Excellent point!!! I have often thought that things may have been different if, rather than giving into Eve and eating, Adam had refused, and immediately gone to the Lord with his wife's sin. I often wonder if the Lord would have had mercy on them both.

    To waht extent he was watching Eve is speculation but the context seems to be that he was at least an onlooker - at least just prior to Eve giving in, if not for the whole time he was there. His passivity as a husband and his lack of care for and protection of his wife no doubt contributed to his guilt and sin.
    I agree that this was probably a huge factor. It is noteworthy that one of the curses that befell Eve was submission to her husband, and the fact that she would continually be striving to rule over him ("Your desire shall be for your husband").
    It's the same phraseology used when God spoke to Cain:

    Gen. 4:7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door, And it's desire is for you, but you should rule over it

    The fact that she had not submitted to the word of God given her by Adam brought this reality into effect....Man was to have dominion over her, but she would want to have dominion over him.

    But I think there is something to be said for the effects of eating the fruit not coming into play until Adam ate - because he was the federal head of the human race, not Eve - "as in Adam, all die" - "just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin" etc - without playing doen Eve's disobedience, it would seem that the effects of the Fall came into play (as cloudburst rightly says) when Adam ate.
    .....and that was my point. Thank you so much for clarifying.
    The fact that Eve ate first, and the curse didn't come into play until both of them had eaten, says to me that this curse wasn't as a result of some property of the fruit itself, but as a result of the actual rebellious act.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    2,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    9Marksfan,

    The way you reason it, you say that Eve distorted God's words, but you say this doesn't make her a liar. How could it not make her a liar? So if anyone distorts God's words or add to His words, this means that they are telling the truth?

    God only gave one commandment, and that commandment was given directly to Adam. We can tell by the text in Gen 3, that Adam was in charge so to say, and that he more than likely instructed Eve concerning this tree.

    Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
    9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?


    Notice who God calls unto...Adam. Why didn't He call unto Eve first, or even call unto both of them? Verse 8 tells us that both heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day.

    And since we're talking about an all knowing God, do you really think God was suprised to find out what had happened? Don't you think He already knew? And if He already knew, why didn't He call out Eve's name first?

    Something else to think about, since Eve's eyes weren't open until after she partook of the fruit, where would she have gotten the idea in her heart to distort what God said? This would imply that she sinned even before she disobeyed that one and only commandment concerning that tree.

    I see sev possibilities as to why Eve thought not to even touch the tree. First of all, it would be impossible to partake of any fruit without touching it first, and secondly, just by simply touching the fruit could lead to more curiosity about the fruit, which could then lead to the actual partaking of the fruit..in which was against that one commandment...not to eat from that tree. I sort of feel that even simply by touching it, is similar to desiring after something in the heart, and partaking of it is the fullfilling of that desire. As long as Eve didn't touch that tree, she wouldn't be able to fullfill the desire to partake of it. This is how the serpent deceived her. He got her first to touch that tree, to desire it in her heart, then he got her to partake of it, fulfilling that desire in her heart.
    The Bible says that God created Eve to be a helper to Adam. The Bible also says that "woman was created for man, and not man for woman."

    Man was created for God, and woman was created for man.

    You'll also notice that it was Adam who named the woman, as he did all of the other creatures in the Garden over which he was to have authority.
    This indicates to me that Adam was given authority over Eve, and the right to exercise that authority as to how he saw best.

    Having this authority, don't you think it plausible that God could have given the authority to Adam on how to instruct his wife....including regarding the commandment not to eat?
    Perhaps Adam was exercising his God-given authority, and instructed Eve according to how he thought she should adhere to the commandment? Perhaps God gave him the authority to instruct Eve as he saw fit?
    Such a scenario does not run contrary to Scripture...husbands still exercise this kind of authority today.

    Given this scenario, this would eliminate the possibility that either Adam OR Eve lied in this account. Adam would have added this on, and God would have allowed him to......because it did not actually run contrary to the original command.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudburst View Post
    The Bible says that God created Eve to be a helper to Adam. The Bible also says that "woman was created for man, and not man for woman."

    Man was created for God, and woman was created for man.

    You'll also notice that it was Adam who named the woman, as he did all of the other creatures in the Garden over which he was to have authority.
    This indicates to me that Adam was given authority over Eve, and the right to exercise that authority as to how he saw best.

    Having this authority, don't you think it plausible that God could have given the authority to Adam on how to instruct his wife....including regarding the commandment not to eat?
    Perhaps Adam was exercising his God-given authority, and instructed Eve according to how he thought she should adhere to the commandment? Perhaps God gave him the authority to instruct Eve as he saw fit?
    Such a scenario does not run contrary to Scripture...husbands still exercise this kind of authority today.

    Given this scenario, this would eliminate the possibility that either Adam OR Eve lied in this account. Adam would have added this on, and God would have allowed him to......because it did not actually run contrary to the original command.
    Hmm - a good try, but I would go along with what you put in your Legalism thread - while Eve starts with "We are permitted...", which could infer that what she was saying was Adam's "amplification" of God's command - but she goes on to say "but God said" - there must therefore have been an addition made either by Adam or Eve, because I do not believe God would command one thing to one of them and another to the other. And if He did, we would have been told. It's called the perspicuity (clarity) of Scriptrue - it always says what it menas and means what it says! It's also the sufficiency of Scripture - God has not left out anything that we needed to know!

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    2,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hey, you guys;

    Something else to think about, you guys, as to whether or not Adam was there when Eve was talking to the serpent. Someone had mentioned this on another board:

    When God is talking to both of them, and He asks Adam what happened, Adam only blames Eve....He does not even MENTION the serpent. This indicates to me that he probably didn't even know about the serpent.

    Not only that, but as far as Eve was concerned, she was not even to touch it. When she touched it, and saw that nothing had happened, she probably thought that nothing would happen if she ate it, either.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •