Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Eve add to the word of God?

Did Eve add to the word of God?

Genesis 3:2 *And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
    3 *But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

I have been discussing Genesis 3 elsewhere, and I have discovered, that there are many that interpret this as Eve adding to the word of God. The part where they claim she added to the word of God is this: "neither shall ye touch it".

Personally I don't believe she added to the word of God. Does anyone think she did. If so, why?

Blog Entries
    We don't know if she did or not really. Let's put it this way... that ain't what got her in trouble with God. I've heard a lot of folks preach on that and I think they are making it into something that it wasn't intended to be made into.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    Genesis 3:2 *And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
    3 *But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

I have been discussing Genesis 3 elsewhere, and I have discovered, that there are many that interpret this as Eve adding to the word of God. The part where they claim she added to the word of God is this: "neither shall ye touch it".

Personally I don't believe she added to the word of God. Does anyone think she did. If so, why?
    All I know is the Word tells us what God said and then tells us what Eve said and Eve seems to add words that we read that God did not say. So either she added to God's words or in the intrepretion of what God said someone left out the words "Neither shall ye touch it". I don't know how else to go beyond that than if somewhere along the way of Bible translation it was translated wrongly.
    Either way the point is that Eve disobeyed God.
    I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Quote Originally Posted by My heart's Desire View Post
    All I know is the Word tells us what God said and then tells us what Eve said and Eve seems to add words that we read that God did not say. So either she added to God's words or in the intrepretion of what God said someone left out the words "Neither shall ye touch it". I don't know how else to go beyond that than if somewhere along the way of Bible translation it was translated wrongly.
    Either way the point is that Eve disobeyed God.

But here is the dilemma I see. If Eve added to the Word of God, wouldn't this make her a liar, and the first liar at that? If we look back in Genesis 2, we see the only recorded command concerning this tree before the fall of man.

Genesis 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
    16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
    17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die

Several things to take note of here are...this command came directly from God and spoken directly to Adam, and Eve wasn't even formed yet. With that in mind, one should read 1Timothy 2:

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

With that in mind, and Adam(a type for Christ) being the first man, Adam was the mediator between God and Eve, just as Christ is the mediator between God and men.

Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
    24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Without going completely off topic, one needs to read all of Ephesians 5 to understand how God designed man, and what the roles of man and wife are in relation to one another.
    But to sum it all up, the reason I brought 1 Timothy 2 and Ephesians 5 into it is this, I feel God instructed Adam concerning this tree, then Adam in turn instructed Eve concerning this tree and what God stated about it. And since there is no recorded instructions of what Adam may or may not have said to Eve, then we can't assume that Eve added to the Word of God. And also, we should assume that God went into greater details concerning this tree than what was recorded. I admit I may be way off with all of this, but to me it seems more reasonable than Eve deliberately adding to what God said.

But here is the dilemma I see. If Eve added to the Word of God, wouldn't this make her a liar, and the first liar at that? If we look back in Genesis 2, we see the only recorded command concerning this tree before the fall of man.

Without going completely off topic, one needs to read all of Ephesians 5 to understand how God designed man, and what the roles of man and wife are in relation to one another.
    But to sum it all up, the reason I brought 1 Timothy 2 and Ephesians 5 into it is this, I feel God instructed Adam concerning this tree, then Adam in turn instructed Eve concerning this tree and what God stated about it. And since there is no recorded instructions of what Adam may or may not have said to Eve, then we can't assume that Eve added to the Word of God. And also, we should assume that God went into greater details concerning this tree than what was recorded. I admit I may be way off with all of this, but to me it seems more reasonable than Eve deliberately adding to what God said.
    I don't see what the big deal is? I also don't see how you go from 'Even added to the word of God, making her the first liar" to "Adam instructed Eve, but since nothing is recorded we must assume that 1) God went into great detail 2) Adam taught Eve word for word and that 3) Eve just straight out lied.

It's one big argument out of silence. And then after that, we can oppress women some more.

If anything the thing that Eve did speaks volumes to what man tends to do and add words, making simple restrictions even more complex than what God gave. Take a look at what Yeshua derided some Pharisees on doing adding to the Law creating a burden they themselves were not willing to bear.

This has been a problem of mankind since the fall.
    I wouldn't call Eve a liar for adding to the word, she was actually trying to be extra cautious here. She did screw up when it came to considering the serpent over what God had said.

Shalom,
    Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    We don't know if she did or not really. Let's put it this way... that ain't what got her in trouble with God. I've heard a lot of folks preach on that and I think they are making it into something that it wasn't intended to be made into.
    I too have heard a lot of teachings on it..the way I see it, if you are told not to have something let's say a cookie, and you think to yourself.."well I am not allowed to eat the cookie, but no one said I couldn't hold it in my hand..." then just by holding it, the temptation grows stronger...it's almost foolish to think that just holding it will satisfy you.
    Same goes with an alcoholic just "holding" on to a bottle of whiskey...no affects to him by holding it...but can one just hold it without giving in to the temptation? So Eve thought "if I just touch it...and there she goes!"
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

whereever the Bishop sends us (oops!) him...
    Blog Entries
    Let's all remember--we are told what Eve said in response to the serpent's question. We are also told that God instructed Adam about the Tree before the creation of Eve. We are not told who instructed Eve, but at some point, a further stricture was added.

The question is, what effect did it have? It did keep Eve from touching the tree, but then when she hazarded the touch, and didn't die, she might very well have thought, "Hmm, maybe this serpent has something, here."

I'm with Project Peter--it wasn't what she said God said, or believed God said, or had been told God said that got her in trouble. It was not obeying what was said. If she had obeyed both parts (even though one was added) she would have been alright--instead, she honored neither of them

I don't think so. We don't have every moment of their lives recorded. It would be natural that God would give Eve specific instructions that could differ a little from Adam's. And we aren't told Eve's sin was adding to what God said. I believe she was not allowed to touch nor eat of that fruit.
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Partaker of Christ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by judi<>>< View Post
    Let's all remember--we are told what Eve said in response to the serpent's question. We are also told that God instructed Adam about the Tree before the creation of Eve. We are not told who instructed Eve, but at some point, a further stricture was added.

The question is, what effect did it have? It did keep Eve from touching the tree, but then when she hazarded the touch, and didn't die, she might very well have thought, "Hmm, maybe this serpent has something, here."

I'm with Project Peter--it wasn't what she said God said, or believed God said, or had been told God said that got her in trouble. It was not obeying what was said. If she had obeyed both parts (even though one was added) she would have been alright--instead, she honored neither of them
    It is said that Eve was decieved, but Adam sinned.
    God gave the command to man, and said to Adam (after he ate) I commanded you.

Gen 3:11 And He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?"
    Gen 3:12 The man said, "The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate."
    Gen 3:13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" And the woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."

Notice also, Eve ate first, but it was not until Adam ate, that the eyes of both were opened.

Gen 3:6 When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.
    Gen 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings.

Quote Originally Posted by partaker of Christ View Post
    It is said that Eve was decieved, but Adam sinned.
    They both sinned.

1 Timothy 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

One sinned after being deceived which was still a crime and still was punished and one sinned without being deceived and he was punished as well. Eve was punished harsher than Adam was.

Genesis 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Eve's punishments

1: greatly multiplied sorrow and conception (a dual curse, a difficult pregnancy)
    2: bring forth children in sorrow (pain in child birth)
    3: desire to a man that will rule over her, not an equal (a dual curse)

Now, some may say some of these things aren't sorrows or burdens but Eve and all women would have had a much easier and much different of a life if these things wouldn't have been issued against her for her sins.

Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    Genesis 3:18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
    Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Adam's punishments:

1: ground is cursed, in sorrow you eat from this ground for life (difficult farming, dual curse)

This is really it. His life producing food to eat would be harder. Both would also have to face death and return to the ground which they came from.

Based on this I believe Eve was punshed more than Adam was but both faced harsh punishments that would affect each other as much as it affected them. A woman with a tough pregnancy and a touch childbirth means the man would have more to do and deal with and a woman would have her own work to do related to the mans work of trying to get food to grow in inhospitable lands.
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

It's important that we see the downward steps to Eve's sin, as they are so often the way Satan tempts us to sin too:-

1.. Satan gets Eve to DOUBT God's word - "did God really say?"
    2. Eve DISTORTS God's word - the obvious reading is that she adds a restriction to it because she resented this one restriction - we too often add to God's restrictions in a spirit of resentment when His commands are intended to bring us true freedom!
    3. Satan DENIES God's word - "You shall not surely die!"
    4. Eve DEFIES God's word and DISOBEYS it.

I believe that any other interpretation of the addition (did God add it? Did Adam add it?) is pure speculation - it seems clear that Eve added it - in a spirit of resentment or, as has been suggested, legalism.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Marksfan View Post
    2. Eve DISTORTS God's word - the obvious reading is that she adds a restriction to it because she resented this one restriction - we too often add to God's restrictions in a spirit of resentment when His commands are intended to bring us true freedom!
    There is no evidence at all to support that eve has claimed God said something that he did not say to her. We don't know what was said so we cannot say she is lying or else we judge her with no evidence at all.

Besides, it makes no sense to add more rules to something because you dislike the one lone rule. It would make more sense to alter or change the one rule not add more.

divaD greetings

It is presumptuous of us to think every thing is written.

Can you imagine a 10 billion page Bible. Think of all the fun the scribes would have had transcribing this, without a printing press.

John 21:25 "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."

Why should God duplicate to us, what he had Eve tell us? Isn't it enough that he told us what He said, through Eve?

In Jesus Christ, terrell

(Gen 3:1 KJV) Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Satan begins his discourse with Eve by asking her a leading question, which implicates that God did not really mean what He said literally. And his question has a subtle hint that God must be really strict to forbid her anything.

Eve chomps at this and responds with not only what God did say, but also in her defense of God, gives her understanding for WHY He said it. This is what opens the door for Satan to tell her his opinion of what God "really meant". That was the trap she fell into.

By her letting Satan know that she thought the fruit must be poisonous, she gives him some fuel to disagree (because she was wrong). So we see that her error, opened the door for her to hear more of the same - from someone who presented himself as a person in the know. And the whole conversation turns from what God actually said to what they have spawned in their own imagination.

Eve started with trying to speak for God and Satan went way beyond anything she would have thought on her own. New revelation, so to speak, where a perceived benefit is presented that seems to counter balance the seriousness of the warning from God not to do it.

And it happens all the time today just like it did back then when men listen to doctrines of demons.
    Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
    And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
    Those who compromise with Christ’s enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Thread Information