Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: Did Eve add to the word of God?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,652
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Marksfan View Post
    I've heard it said (and I think there is much truth in this) that part of Adamm's sin was in neglecting to protect Eve - Adam KNEW that he wasn't to eat and I believe he knew that Eve wasn't to either - God would hardly give His comand to one of them and not the other. To waht extent he was watching Eve is speculation but the context seems to be that he was at least an onlooker - at least just prior to Eve giving in, if not for the whole time he was there. His passivity as a husband and his lack of care for and protection of his wife no doubt contributed to his guilt and sin.

    But I think there is something to be said for the effects of eating the fruit not coming into play until Adam ate - because he was the federal head of the human race, not Eve - "as in Adam, all die" - "just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin" etc - without playing doen Eve's disobedience, it would seem that the effects of the Fall came into play (as cloudburst rightly says) when Adam ate.
    And Adam there to protect Eve - what protects, guides, that which can be tempted? The spirit, from the flesh. When we lean on the Spirit, on the strength of Christ - we can resist and flee. When our Spirit let's down it's guard and the fleshy desires become stronger - the flesh wins out.

    Who then in all this - two become one - is the flesh? And, who can be considered the representation of the Spirit who is to live above the flesh?
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.


  2. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,652
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudburst View Post
    SO TRUE!!!! That is the main point of this account.
    When I had said he was a monster, I was referring to the previous poster who indicated that, because Adam wanted to rebel, that he was willing to let his wife go down with him, which I don't find plausible at all.
    I find it more plausible to believe that either he did not want to go against her wishes, or that he saw that she was not immediately affected after eating the fruit, and decided to do the same.
    Thing is - flesh won out. Adam "lost it" - and didn't step in to tell Eve "NO! What in the heck are you doing???!!!" Just as the 1 Corinthians verse states.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.


  3. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jesus Christ is Lord and God.
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudburst View Post
    Yes, you are correct....but more specifically, after Adam had eaten. Their eyes were not opened until both of them had eaten.

    (1) Eve ate
    (2) She gave to Adam
    (3) He ate


    They ate at the same time.



    The way I see it (and this is merely an interpretation), Eve ate, realized that her eyes had not yet been opened, and gave to Adam, who also ate, seeing that his wife's eyes hadn't been opened. Then, as soon as he ate, the curse came into effect.
    I disagree but it's not very important.


    Yes, he was there....when she gave him the fruit. I seriously doubt that dam was there when the serpent deceived Eve....I believe that he was elsewhere in the Garden, and he came to her after she had already eaten.
    There is no way to know. All we know is that he is there when she gives him the fruit. Either way, he does not stop her from what he does see.


    WOW!!!! I had never thought of that, but IMO, that would make Adam a complete monster. Because HE wanted to disobey God, he was willing to let his wife be deceived, and go down with him, in order to become like God.
    Who ever said Adam was a good guy? The bible certainly doesn't. I've personally never liked him from what I've read about him.



    I'm sorry, but I really don't buy that. I think that Adam loved his wife very much, and I don't see him allowing her to fall into deception like that just so that he could rebel.
    I don't think he loved Eve enough to do his job as husband and protect her from the serpent or from eating the fruit. He went right along with it.
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jesus Christ is Lord and God.
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudburst View Post
    Hey, you guys;

    Something else to think about, you guys, as to whether or not Adam was there when Eve was talking to the serpent. Someone had mentioned this on another board:

    When God is talking to both of them, and He asks Adam what happened, Adam only blames Eve....He does not even MENTION the serpent. This indicates to me that he probably didn't even know about the serpent.
    He knew. From the context of the verses he was there the entire time:

    Genesis 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
    Genesis 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
    Genesis 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
    Genesis 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
    Genesis 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
    Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

    It just doesn't make it appear that Adam suddenly appears at the end after the serpent has left. There is a purpose for why the serpent targeted Eve but I don't want to derail the thread. He intentionally deceived her and not Adam. Just because Adam is mentioned or spoken to in the first verses does not mean he wasn't there. They were a team and worked together because that was the entire purpose for the creation of Eve.


    When God is talking to both of them, and He asks Adam what happened, Adam only blames Eve....He does not even MENTION the serpent.
    He tells the truth, but his intention is to avoid his own responsibility and guilt.


    Genesis 3:12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.


    He can't blame the serpent because he hadn't been deceived nor did the serpent give him the fruit, Eve did.



    Not only that, but as far as Eve was concerned, she was not even to touch it. When she touched it, and saw that nothing had happened, she probably thought that nothing would happen if she ate it, either.
    Who knows.
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by threebigrocks View Post
    And Adam there to protect Eve - what protects, guides, that which can be tempted? The spirit, from the flesh. When we lean on the Spirit, on the strength of Christ - we can resist and flee. When our Spirit let's down it's guard and the fleshy desires become stronger - the flesh wins out.

    Who then in all this - two become one - is the flesh? And, who can be considered the representation of the Spirit who is to live above the flesh?
    Strange questions indeed - but the principle was good then as it is now - the husband ought to protect the wife - that's what we're wired to do! And Adam failed spectacularly.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    17,822
    What I find interesting is what most don't even see here within the fall.

    Genesis 3:9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
    10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
    11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
    12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
    13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat


    So, what did we just learn here? Adam shifted blame to Eve, Eve shifted blame to the serpent. So who got punished? Who's fault was it?


    Genesis 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
    15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
    16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
    17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
    19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.



    It appears all three got punished. What is the moral of the story then? The moral of the story is, we all are personally accountable for our own actions, no matter who we try blame. The point is, there is no such thing as being born with a sin nature, Adam and Eve proves that, they weren't created to sin. We sin not because we have to, or because we are forced to, we sin because we choose to, just as Adam and Eve did, they chose to sin, no one forced them. I don't blame Adam, nor do I blame Eve, nor do I even blame the serpent when I sin, I blame myself. I choose to sin. No one forces me to sin.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    What I find interesting is what most don't even see here within the fall.

    Genesis 3:9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
    10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
    11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
    12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
    13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat


    So, what did we just learn here? Adam shifted blame to Eve, Eve shifted blame to the serpent. So who got punished? Who's fault was it?


    Genesis 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
    15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
    16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
    17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
    19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.



    It appears all three got punished. What is the moral of the story then? The moral of the story is, we all are personally accountable for our own actions, no matter who we try blame.
    Excellent point.

    The point is, there is no such thing as being born with a sin nature, Adam and Eve proves that, they weren't created to sin.
    They had a real choice whether to obey God or obey self - we choose sin every time because by nature we are sinners:-

    "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." Ps 51:5 ESV

    "Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned" Rom 5:12 ESV

    "For as by the one mans disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one mans obedience the many will be made righteous." Rom 5:19 ESV

    "among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind." Eph 2:3 ESV


    We sin not because we have to, or because we are forced to, we sin because we choose to,
    That's true - but WHY do all choose to? WHY do children not need to be taught to be disobedient? Because they are sinners by nature. We sin because we are sinners, not the other way round.

  8. #53

    Did Eve add to the word of God - gen 3:3 "... neither shall ye touch it..."

    again just an opinion - eve wanted the whole taboo God placed on this issue of eating from the tree to sound even more dramatic to the serpent, i.e. she actually wanted to create the impression that by not touching it she is going that extra mile of piousness... hence introducing works salvation into scripture - up till then her salvation [relationship with God - Jesus Christ] was all of His doing, now all of a sudden she had an active [vis a vis passive] role to play, and that is by not touching it :-)
    in Christ
    gabriel

  9. #54

    Re: Did Eve add to the word of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    What I find interesting is what most don't even see here within the fall.

    Genesis 3:9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
    10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
    11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
    12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
    13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat


    So, what did we just learn here? Adam shifted blame to Eve, Eve shifted blame to the serpent. So who got punished? Who's fault was it?


    Genesis 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
    15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
    16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
    17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
    19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.



    It appears all three got punished. What is the moral of the story then? The moral of the story is, we all are personally accountable for our own actions, no matter who we try blame. The point is, there is no such thing as being born with a sin nature, Adam and Eve proves that, they weren't created to sin. We sin not because we have to, or because we are forced to, we sin because we choose to, just as Adam and Eve did, they chose to sin, no one forced them. I don't blame Adam, nor do I blame Eve, nor do I even blame the serpent when I sin, I blame myself. I choose to sin. No one forces me to sin.
    Do you find it strange that out of the billions that have been born of woman one and only one did no sin?

    But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, Gal 3:22

    What scripture? Psalms 51:5 ? Here is an interesting thought, to me anyway.

    And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. Gen 2:16,17

    Was that command a law to Adam? Was it a lot like saying, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me"?

    Now my question is had Adam not transgressed that law, would he have been righteous by keeping that law? What does the word say?

    [Is] the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. Gal 3:21

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •