Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Turned Off to Scripture

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    327

    Turned Off to Scripture

    This has been on my mind the last few days.

    I grew up with daily devotionals with my parents, encouraged to study the Bible for myself, learning memory verses at church....then for the three years I attended a Christian college, more delving into Scripture, this time into context and methods of interpretation....

    I think as a result of all that, and spending time witnessing to people who don't recognize the Bible as a source of knowledge, I've become "turned off" to the Bible.

    It's not that I don't still enjoy reading it or studying it with a group or discussing how it came to be, etc etc.

    I just think that it shouldn't be the only thing we can cite when stating our individual positions on issues, whether within the body of believers or without, whether on Christian doctrines or on politics.

    I mean, I shouldn't have to justify my opinion on whether or someone should vote for Barack Obama, or if schools should have uniforms, or if the color of the carpet at my church should be blue, with a Bible verse.....they're called OPINIONS for a reason.


    I was taught by my theology professors to use MORE than just scripture in discerning truth, and I have had much experience in doing so.
    Always give God credit first.

    "Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
    -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

    James 1:19

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    1,616
    Blog Entries
    11
    Alan, it was interesting to read your testimony but it left me in a quandary. You never mentioned a conversion experience and without knowing the state of your soul it is impossible for me to give you an intelligent answer without knowing your spiritual condition.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
    Alan, it was interesting to read your testimony but it left me in a quandary. You never mentioned a conversion experience and without knowing the state of your soul it is impossible for me to give you an intelligent answer without knowing your spiritual condition.
    Alan? .....?


    Wrong thread?
    Always give God credit first.

    "Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
    -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

    James 1:19

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    587
    If God made everything then there are answers in everything.

    And to me there is no doubt that the Holy Bible is unique. A history of a bloodline from the beginning of time inspired by God. But it does not say how great they were and it does not show how perfect they were. It shows how they did good and then turned to evil over and over. And each time the prophet would come and set them straight with words of wisdom. Except they would not believe on the prophet unless they showed them miracles.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    This has been on my mind the last few days.

    I grew up with daily devotionals with my parents, encouraged to study the Bible for myself, learning memory verses at church....then for the three years I attended a Christian college, more delving into Scripture, this time into context and methods of interpretation....

    I think as a result of all that, and spending time witnessing to people who don't recognize the Bible as a source of knowledge, I've become "turned off" to the Bible.

    It's not that I don't still enjoy reading it or studying it with a group or discussing how it came to be, etc etc.

    I just think that it shouldn't be the only thing we can cite when stating our individual positions on issues, whether within the body of believers or without, whether on Christian doctrines or on politics.

    I mean, I shouldn't have to justify my opinion on whether or someone should vote for Barack Obama, or if schools should have uniforms, or if the color of the carpet at my church should be blue, with a Bible verse.....they're called OPINIONS for a reason.


    I was taught by my theology professors to use MORE than just scripture in discerning truth, and I have had much experience in doing so.
    While my hunger for the word grows each day. I totally see and understand your point. Though i - AM NOT - that old - my life experiences, trials and errors are vast and very useful. Often More useful in teaching than repeating scriptures to people who have heard them a 1000 times and still don't understand or care to hear. I believe it is because scripture becomes embedded within us and shines though our attitude.
    .
    .
    .
    "Let no man deceive you"

    I also am "man" - this includes myself !

  6. #6
    Yes, let's use more than just scripture, but it is it my opinion that God gave us the Bible as a roadmap for everything we do.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post

    I was taught by my theology professors to use MORE than just scripture in discerning truth, and I have had much experience in doing so.
    Spoken like a true theology professor. The only thing that can discern truth is the word. Nothing else. Sounds like you are treading down a slippery slope. I am a firm believer that any question i have, there is an answer in the Bible for it or else GOd would not have given me the word. But just a feeling i get, there is more here than what is being let on. there is an underlying problem that you might need to address

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    1,616
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    Alan? .....?


    Wrong thread?
    No, just the wrong name and for that I am sorry. But until you're spiritual condition is revealed I cannot give you an intelligent answer to your question. Have you ever been Born Again?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
    No, just the wrong name and for that I am sorry. But until you're spiritual condition is revealed I cannot give you an intelligent answer to your question. Have you ever been Born Again?
    I first answered God's call during a revival at my church when I was twelve.

    Since then, it's been a series of plateaus and canyons.
    Plateaus from learning, studying, and discussing with my peers, from witnessing to those who have felt rejected by the Christian community, and from reading the works of several theologians who have edified my faith.

    Canyons from self-doubt.


    Quote Originally Posted by cross crusader View Post
    Spoken like a true theology professor. The only thing that can discern truth is the word. Nothing else. Sounds like you are treading down a slippery slope. I am a firm believer that any question i have, there is an answer in the Bible for it or else GOd would not have given me the word. But just a feeling i get, there is more here than what is being let on. there is an underlying problem that you might need to address
    Allow me to explain my statement.

    My professor (an active minister and missionary to South Africa for twelve years) taught that there are four interconnected concepts that are used to discern truth when confronted with an idea:

    1.Scripture
    2.Experience
    3.Tradition
    4.Reason

    1) Does this idea match what God has shown me through the Bible?

    2) Does my life experience match what I'm being told?

    3) Has someone else already analyzed this idea, and written about it? (standing on the shoulders of spiritual giants)

    4) Does this idea make logical sense?


    Each of these can be applied to the other.
    I.E.
    Does this traditional church practice match with scripture?
    Does this interpretation of scripture make logical sense?
    Is my logic flawed at the moment because I've had a recent traumatic life experience?
    et al.
    Always give God credit first.

    "Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
    -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

    James 1:19

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cheeseburger world.
    Posts
    1,042
    Blog Entries
    2
    i think i know what your saying. and i can say for me, i'd be no where with out such books as 'mere christianity', or 'in the biggining was information.' my point is, yes, the bible is the truth, and i take it for nothing less, but hearing things like what cs lewis talks about, put's things into perspective, if you will. makes understanding what the bible is getting at.

    and things like information theory is the study of Gods work. i guess. i find people just write the bible off, so it's good to have other books that solidify it's words.

    or stuff......

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,523
    The best way to reach the lost, bar none, is to hear what God has to say then say it. Jesus knew the woman at the well was thirsty for something more so he spoke to exactly what her need was. Jesus said "I only say what the Father tells me to say". The single biggest missing piece in evangelism today is listening to God. Too often we have a formula, or a logical argument, or a prepared scripture. Instead, we should hear the Lord. He knows the heart of the one we are speaking to. He can give us words that will divide the soul and spirit. He can give us words that will pierce them to the heart.

    The secret to witnessing isn't knowing logic or knowing the bible or being a persuasive speaker. The secret to powerful witnessing is hearing God and saying what he says.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    The best way to reach the lost, bar none, is to hear what God has to say then say it. Jesus knew the woman at the well was thirsty for something more so he spoke to exactly what her need was. Jesus said "I only say what the Father tells me to say". The single biggest missing piece in evangelism today is listening to God. Too often we have a formula, or a logical argument, or a prepared scripture. Instead, we should hear the Lord. He knows the heart of the one we are speaking to. He can give us words that will divide the soul and spirit. He can give us words that will pierce them to the heart.

    The secret to witnessing isn't knowing logic or knowing the bible or being a persuasive speaker. The secret to powerful witnessing is hearing God and saying what he says.
    And will God reveal truth about being right with Himself beyond the Scriptures?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    15,523
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Marksfan View Post
    And will God reveal truth about being right with Himself beyond the Scriptures?
    He does use extrabiblical sources to witness about himself. That's what nature does.

    But still, hearing God speak to a situation is the single biggest thing that most folks overlook. He will speak if we will give him our spiritual ear. His words have power. Sometimes he will reveal the heart of the person you are witnessing to. Sometimes he gives just the right word to say. I have had God actually tell me to wait and then speak to me and say "OK, say it now".

    Edit: Also, God may speak things to us about a person that are not in scriptures. God, knowing the heart of the individual, can give us just the words to say that the individual needs to hear.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    I first answered God's call during a revival at my church when I was twelve.

    Since then, it's been a series of plateaus and canyons.
    Plateaus from learning, studying, and discussing with my peers, from witnessing to those who have felt rejected by the Christian community, and from reading the works of several theologians who have edified my faith.

    Canyons from self-doubt.




    Allow me to explain my statement.

    My professor (an active minister and missionary to South Africa for twelve years) taught that there are four interconnected concepts that are used to discern truth when confronted with an idea:

    1.Scripture
    2.Experience
    3.Tradition
    4.Reason

    1) Does this idea match what God has shown me through the Bible?

    2) Does my life experience match what I'm being told?

    3) Has someone else already analyzed this idea, and written about it? (standing on the shoulders of spiritual giants)

    4) Does this idea make logical sense?


    Each of these can be applied to the other.
    I.E.
    Does this traditional church practice match with scripture?
    Does this interpretation of scripture make logical sense?
    Is my logic flawed at the moment because I've had a recent traumatic life experience?
    et al.
    Clearly your college professor didn't believe in the authority and sufficiency of Scripture - it is NOT subject to experience (not absolute), tradition (originates in man) and logic (often flawed). Scripture itself testifies to its authority and sufficiency:-

    All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16-17 ESV

    That is objective truth. But I'm happy to be subjective too. I have been a Christian now for 26 years and the thing I have always come back to after periods of doubt and backsliding, of being tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine, has been the authority and sufficiency of the word of God - without that, we have NO anchor for the soul - some may say "but CHRIST is all you need!" But I say - which Christ? There are many false Christs - in particular the ones of our own imagination - the only One I can trust is the Christ of the Scriptures.....

    Do you accept that ALL Scripture is God-breathed? That is the CRUCIAL question - EVERYTHING else hangs upon that.

    As a friend of mind paraphrases an old divine, if we stop believing the truth, we won't believe nothing - we'll believe anything.....

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    I first answered God's call during a revival at my church when I was twelve.

    Since then, it's been a series of plateaus and canyons.
    Plateaus from learning, studying, and discussing with my peers, from witnessing to those who have felt rejected by the Christian community, and from reading the works of several theologians who have edified my faith.

    Canyons from self-doubt.




    Allow me to explain my statement.

    My professor (an active minister and missionary to South Africa for twelve years) taught that there are four interconnected concepts that are used to discern truth when confronted with an idea:

    1.Scripture
    2.Experience
    3.Tradition
    4.Reason

    1) Does this idea match what God has shown me through the Bible?

    2) Does my life experience match what I'm being told?

    3) Has someone else already analyzed this idea, and written about it? (standing on the shoulders of spiritual giants)

    4) Does this idea make logical sense?


    Each of these can be applied to the other.
    I.E.
    Does this traditional church practice match with scripture?
    Does this interpretation of scripture make logical sense?
    Is my logic flawed at the moment because I've had a recent traumatic life experience?
    et al.

    the thing i find most interesting -- is he left out holy spirit and that is what we really need

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •