Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Daily Bible Study - Kings

My Daily Bible Study - Kings

Kings - From the Fore Word of my NKJV (970BC – 586BC)
    “The first half of Kings traces the life of Solomon. Under his leadership Israel rises to the peak of her size and glory. Solomon’s great accomplishments including the unsurpassed splendour of the Temple he constructs in Jerusalem brings him world-wide fame and respect. However, Solomon’s zeal for God diminishes in his later year, as pagan wives turn his heart away from worship in the Temple of God. As a result, the king with the divided heart leaves behind a divided kingdom. For the next century the book of 1st Kings traces the twin histories of two sets of kings and two nations of disobedient people who are growing indifferent to God’s prophets.”

1 Kings 1

What did I learn of God? – His Will will be accomplished, however unlikely it may sometimes seem (Solomon was not David’s eldest son, yet became king) He does not hold a parent’s Sin against their child.

What did I learn of Myself? – Have I failed to discipline children/young people I am responsible for? - as David failed to discipline Adonijah and Absolem which was the direct cause of their Sin - if so I share their blame. Do I always keep my promises, even belatedly? Do I act straightforwardly like Bathsheba, or try to obtain what I want in an underhanded way like Adonijah? Do I place myself under God’s Protection when I have done wrong? as Adonijah did when he grasped the horns of the altar. Am I wise, and patient, enough to wait for God to give me what He has Promised? or do I try to seize what I want?

What did I praise God for? – being in overall control of events that relate to me.

What did I pray for? – that however difficult it may seem, I will wait for God to ensure what is His Will for me happens.

What does this say in one sentence? – Adonijah tried to seize the kingdom of Israel, but David had Solomon anointed and proclaimed king.

Quote:- (Alan Paton)
    “When his life’s work was threatened, Ignatius of Loyola was asked what he would do if Pope Paul 1V dissolved, or otherwise acted against, the Society of Jesus to which he had devoted his energies and gifts; to which he replied ‘I would pray for 15 minutes, then I would not think of it again”

1 Kings 2

What did I learn of God? – Faith in Him, love for Him and obedience to Him are the most important things anyone can pass on to their children.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I doing all I an to propagate faith in God, love for Him and obedience to Him, by word and example? Have I really forgiven those who incite others to harm me or those I love?

What did I praise God for? – that He is worthy of trust, love and obedience.

What did I pray for?- that I don’t let Him down in any way and that I forgive others in the ame way I want God to forgive me.

What does this say in one sentence? – David, dying, told Solomon to kill those he had ‘forgiven’ – which was carried out.

1 Kings 3

What did I learn of God? – He will give an ‘understanding heart’ and the ability to discern between good and evil to those who truly desire them and are obedient to Him. He may occasionally communicate with His people in dreams. He is Merciful. He may give to His servants much more than they ask for.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I ever do what seems expedient but may lead me away from the Lord? Do I ask the Lord to give me, ‘an understanding heart’ and the ability to discern between good and evil? Do I live to please God instead of myself? Do I always obey Him? Do I always refer decisions to the Lord for His Guidance? Would I give up all claim to what is precious to me to ensure it is not destroyed. Am I wise enough to apply what I know - and so make good decisions?

What did I praise God for? – Giving His people all they need to do His Will.

What did I pray for? – an understanding heart, greater ability to discern His Will and desire to obey Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – Solomon’s request for wisdom and the desire to apply it God’s Way.

1 Kings 4

What did I learn of God? – The wisdom and understanding He gave Solomon was ‘second to none’. His ability to give is limitless. He ensures all the people needed to help those faithful to Him are available.

What did I learn of Myself? – Does the Lord want me to support His ‘up-front person in some way? Do I fully appreciate those who help me or are my friends? Do I fully appreciate those who ensure I live in peace and prosperity? Am I ever jealous of those whose lives are obviously greatly Blessed? or do I recognise the greater temptations to Sin they have to overcome – knowing I have no greater strength than they to resist it – with gratitude? Do I realise that every Blessing I enjoy comes from the Lord God? Am I aware of the difference between His Blessings and the Enemy’s counterfeit?

What did I praise God for? – His Wisdom and Power.

What did I pray for? – Wisdom, and the discernment to know how to apply it.

What does this say in one sentence? – Solomon’s administrators, his wisdom and the prosperity his people enjoyed during his reign.

Note:- It has been suggested that, based on the amount of food listed, the number of people in his administration(his court) was between 4,000 and 5,000.

1 Kings 5

What did I learn of God? – He may be willing to wait for generations for something to be accomplished for His Glory by His obedient servants.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I impatient for projects to be accomplished? or willing to wait for the time God knows is right? Do I accept all friendships freely offered? Do I act honourably with those who work for me? Do I pay my debts in full? or try to beat-down the price I pay(not necessarily money)? Am I mindful of other people’s commitments? (eg. Solomon allowed conscripted labour to only work for him for 4 months each year, so they had time to work their own land too) or do I expect my own desires to come first? Am I willing to be just one of many, or do I expect a leadership position?

What did I praise God for? – knowing the right timee and the right builder for projects.

What did I pray for? – that all projects I would like to complete are done in His time, by the people of His choice.

What does this say in one sentence? – Solomon prepares to build the Temple.

1 Kings 6 + 7

What did I learn of God? – He ensured His Word gives all necessary details (eg. in 966BC Solomon began building the Temple) His Promises being fulfilled depends on the obedience of His people. He requires the best available materials and workmanship.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I prepared for long, slow progress when I obey the Lord? (eg. the Temple took 7 years to build). Do I realise the small part I play in God’s schemes is very important in some way? (eg. if I had been working on the Temple would I have said I spent my time ‘cutting wood’ or ‘cutting stone’ – or would I have proudly said I was ‘building the Temple’?) My obedience to God enables me to receive His Promises to me. Do I stick to God’s Plan for my life, or think I know best? Do I use what skill and ability I have for God’s Glory?(nothing is insignificant)

What did I praise God for? – knowing what is best for me.

What did I pray for? – that I never deviate from His Will for me.

What does this say in one sentence? – the Temple was built 90ft. long, 30ft. wide and 45ft. high, with the best materials and workmanship available, and everything needed for it’s purposes was created.

1 Kings 8

What did I learn of God?
    – He is present where His people honour Him. He ensures that what He wants done is completed. What He encourages one of His people to desire may not come to fruition during their lifetime. Nothing is large enough to contain Him. He knows what is in each person’s heart. The Jews are still His people, just as they were before Christians became His too. (no one forgets their ‘firstborn’ because they have another child!)

What did I learn of Myself? – do I do all I can to encourage others to glorify the Lord? Do I value, and keep, God’s Commandments? Do I encourage the Lord to be with me by my obedience to Him and desire to please Him? Do I rely on repentance and Jesus’ Sacrifice in my place, or on religious observance for God’s Forgiveness and help? Am I loyal to God? Do I always try to please Him? Does my understanding of who God is guide my behaviour? Do my prayers reflect what I know of His Character as Solomon’s did?

What did I praise God for? – His Presence and Character.

What did I pray for? – the strength and desire to always be loyal to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – Dedication of the Temple, the Ark brought to it, and Solomon’s speech.

Quote:- (1 John 5:14-15) “If we ask anything according to His Will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us- whatever we ask – we know that we have what we asked of Him”

1 Kings 9

What did I learn of God?
    – He hears the prayers of His people. He is present where He is worshipped from the heart. He appeared to Solomon. He fulfils His Promises to those who follow Him with integrity, faithfulness, and obedience but His Promises are null and void for those who turn from Him.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I faithful to God in all things? Does He recognise integrity in me? Do I fail to keep His commandments and statutes? When I have reached my goals in life I must remember that vulnerability comes with success. Only a wholehearted love for God, not regular attendance at religious gatherings, will keep me faithful to Him.

What did I praise God for? – His Presence with those who obey Him.

What did I pray for? – sufficient strength and desire to always be faithful to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – God appeared to Solomon, who had a lot of buildings, boats and city walls constructed.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) “For some, retirement is a critical time. We’ve worked all our lives. Now it’s time to relax and enjoy. Rather than use our time to serve God and others some lose their sense of purpose and drift away from God.
    That moment when we think we have succeeded can be the most dangerous for us spiritually.”

1 Kings 10

What did I learn of God? – He’ll love Israel forever. He was known far and wide because of the wisdom He gave Solomon. Because He gave Solomon wisdom both Solomon and Israel became wealthy.

What did I learn of Myself? – Am I willing to spend time and money to seek God’s Wisdom? Do I deduce which ‘wisdom’ to believe by whether or not it is in line with God’s Word? or do I follow the crowd?

What did I praise God for? – He wants my fully yielded heart more than those things the world values.

What did I pray for? – that my life will Glorify the Lord.

What does this say in one sentence? – The Queen of Sheba visited Solomon, gave him great wealth and received everything she asked for.

Note:- Solomon’s annual income is listed as 25tons of gold. Like other kings of that time, he gave most to the Temple of his God. It is worth noting that Pharoah Shishak attacked Jerusalem(1Kings 14:26) and took home the ‘treasures of the temple of the Lord and the treasures of the royal palace’ and 5 years later his son Osorkon gave 383 tons of precious metal to Egypt’s gods and goddesses.

1 Kings 11

What did I learn of God? - He gave Laws to protect His people from harmful influences of body, mind and spirit. He becomes angry with those who not only turn away from Him, but whose actions lead others from Him too. He always keeps His Promises.

What did I learn of Myself? – If I obey God in everything I will be protected from things that will harm me in body, mind and spirit; and that could harm others because of me. Are the difficulties I experience caused by my disobedience to God in the present or past, or designed to encourage me to rely on Him more? Do I take care to obey Him in everything? If I am truly wise I will trust God completely and be totally faithful to Him. Do I continue to seek a stronger relationship with God as I get older?

What did I praise God for? – His Faithfulness to those faithful to Him, and His Forgiveness to those who repent, trusting Christ’s Sacrifice on their behalf.

What did I pray for?
    – a reminder to obey Him if I think of deviating from His best for me.

What does this say in one sentence? – Solomon turned away from God because his wives trusted in other gods – ensuring that his son, and the whole nation suffered in the future.

Note:- Solomon’s initial success depended on his relationship with God, not his intelligence. It is the Lord God who brings us success, not our talents/gifts.

Quote:- (Miguel Febres Cordero-Munoz) “The heart is rich when it is content, and it is always content when it’s desires are always fixed on God. Nothing can bring greater happiness than doing God’s Will for the love of God.”

1 Kings 12

What did I learn of God? – He is able to influence for, good or ill, those who do not worship Him or serve His people - to fulfil His Word. He makes it clear if what appears evil is from Him. Mankind’s pride may turn what He intends for good, to evil.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I consider the difficulties of others? or surround myself with friends whose advise will lead me to even more pride and selfishness? Do I heed God’s Voice when He tells me to accept unwelcome facts? Do I encourage others to worship ‘another Jesus’ by mis-representing Him? Do I ever fight with other Christians , or do I take Shemaiah’s advise to not ‘fight against your brothers’?

What did I praise God for? – that I don’t have to go anywhere special to worship Him.

What did I pray for? – to hear God clearly and be encouraged to act on whet He says immediately.

What does this say in one sentence? – God divided the kingdom to fulfil the punishment of Solomon, and Jereboam instigated a false religion based on the revealed worship of God, but deviating from it.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) “Gradually many true believers in the north drifted across the border to settle in Judah, illustrated by the growth of Judah’s original 180,000 fighting men (12:21) to 400,000 fighting men 18 years later (Chron. 13:3).

1 Kings 13

What did I learn of God? – He will not accept worship from those not obedient to Him. When necessary for His Purposes He will cause one of His people to prophecy and will fulfil it – maybe immediately or maybe many generations later. He expects obedience from His people, no matter what persuasion to the contrary anyone else may use. He punishes those who disobey Him.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I declare God's true worth to others? (true worship). Am I always obedient to God? Do I ever do things outside the authority He has given me? Do I trust the Lord enough to put my life in danger to obey Him? When God warns me of his displeasure it is wise to change my ways. Do I believe, and follow, those the Lord has used in the past even though what they say is contrary to what God has said to me? if so I must expect Him to discipline me in some way. Have I ever deceived anyone by telling lies? Have I repented?

What did I praise God for? – His standards are the same yesterday, today and will be forever.

What did I pray for? – to stick rigidly to His revealed will.

What does this say in one sentence? – God’s message to Jeroboam by the altar at Bethel, and the death of His prophet because he was disobedient.

Quote:- (Bernard of Clairvaux) “If you observe anything evil within yourself, correct it; if something good, preserve it; if something beautiful, foster it; if something sound, maintain it; if sickly, heal it. Read unwearyingly the precepts of the Lord and, sufficiently instructed by them, you will know what to avoid and what to persue.”

1 Kings 14

What did I learn of God? – He cannot be deceived. If He raises someone up to lead His people and they are not true to Him, in every way, they will suffer for their unfaithfulness. He disciplines His people if they turn away from Him. Only He knows, and has control of, the future. He puts up with a lot from mankind, but His Patience has an end.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I realise the future is known only to Almighty God? Have I ever tried to discover the future by devious means? Has the Lord ever used me as His mouthpiece? if so am I careful not to add to or subtract from anything He has said? Have I fully understood that small children, and other Godly loved ones who die have been saved from future pain I know nothing about; instead of blaming God for my distress, have I thanked Him for His Blessing to them?

What did I praise God for? – His Patience with me.

What did I pray for? – that I change my ways to please Him before I try His Patience too far.

What does this say in one sentence? – God’s Judgement on Jeroboam and Rehoboam, Solomon’s sons.

Quote:- (Isaiah 57:1-2) “The righteous perish . . . devout men are taken away , and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. Those who walk uprightly enter into Peace; they find rest as they lie in death.”

1 Kings 15

What did I learn of God? – He keeps His Promises in-spite of mankind’s wickedness.

What did I learn of Myself? – Will I be remembered by God as one who sinned against Him? or as one who obeyed Him, influenced others for good and was active against evil? If I am not true to the Lord in every respect I may cause strife and suffering. Do I invite others to come to the Lord? Do I remove barriers to enable them to do so? Only what I do for God will be of any value. Do I learn from other people’s mistakes?

What did I praise God for? – always keeping His Promises.

What did I pray for? - a greater desire to correct evil and wisdom to know how to do it.

What does this say in one sentence? – the reigns of Abijam, Asa, Nadab and Baasha.

Quote:- (the Compass) “Longfellow could take a sheet of paper, write a poem on it, and make it worth $6,000 – that’s genius. Rockefellow could sign his name to a piece of paper and make it worth a million – that’s wealth. A painter can take a 50 cent piece of canvas, paint a picture on it and make it worth $10,000 – that’s art.
    But . . . God can take a worthless sinful life, wash it in the Blood of Christ, put His Spirit in it, and make it a Blessing to humanity – that’s Salvation.

1 Kings 16

What did I learn of God? – He punishes those who lead His people into Sin. He keeps His Word. What He has said comes to pass. He is not impressed with worldly achievements.

What did I learn of Myself? – do I learn form other people’s mistakes? Do I ensure nothing I do or say will lead folk from God and Truth? Do I deviate from Scripture in any way? It is my responsibility to ensure the Bible translations I trust are not unreliable or paraphrases. Do I always do God’s Will? What will God want folk to remember about me – if anything?

What did I praise God for? – His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? – to be corrected before I lead anyone into Sin.

What does this say in one sentence? – While Asa reigned in Judah, Elah, Zimri, Omri and Ahab reigned in Israel.

Note:- In 1898 the Moabite Stone was discovered, which tells how Omri conquered Moab and imposed tribute. He increased Israel’s military strength and made Samaria a large, attractive, easily defended city. 100 years later Assyrian records still referred to Israel as the ‘land of Omri’; but the only thing that concerned God was that ‘he too did evil’.

Thread Information