Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear Of God!!!

Fear Of God!!!

The following are some of the advantages for those that fear God.

Honour - Ps 15:4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.

Secrets (counsel) of God - Ps 25:14 The secret of The LORD is with Them that fear him; and he will shew Them his covenant.

Gods goodness - Ps 31:19 Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men!

Prolonged days - Prov 10:27 The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.

Mercy - Lk 1:50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.

Gods promises - 2 Cor 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Rewards - Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Why fear God?

It is taught/commanded.

Ps 2:11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

Prov 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Phil 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

1 Pet 2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

What is the fear of God?

Prov 1:7 The fear of The LORD is The beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Prov 8:13 The fear of The LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and The evil way, and The froward mouth, do I hate.

Prov 9:10 The fear of The LORD is The beginning of wisdom: and The knowledge of The holy is understanding.

Prov 10:27 The fear of The LORD prolongeth days: but The years of The wicked shall be shortened.

Prov 14:26 In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.

Prov 14:27 The fear of The LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from The snares of death.

Prov 15:33 The fear of The LORD is The instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

Prov 19:23 The fear of The LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.

God bless you.

Firstfruits

Excellent list. I'd like to add...

"Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread." - Isaiah 8:13

On the "Why fear God" isn't there something more to it than because it is commanded? What happens if a saved by the blood, born-again believer doesn't obey that command?
    "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." - Revelation 20:6

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus_1611 View Post
    Excellent list. I'd like to add...
    "Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread." - Isaiah 8:13
    On the "Why fear God" isn't there something more to it than because it is commanded? What happens if a saved by the blood, born-again believer doesn't obey that command?
    Thank you Rufus,

If a believer does not fear God then the opposite of the advantages would apply.

Firstfruits

Blog Entries
    Great study FF!

Fear in Hebrew is "yare". It is spelled "yod-resh-alef". In ancient Hebrew pictographs, "Yod" is that of the hand of God. The letter "Resh" pictures a head, or chief. The letter "Alef" represents God Almighty, So then the image of "yare" shows the hand of God upon a man's head, bringing him under God's authority. This is why Scripture tells us not to 'yare' man.

While it is plausible that fear can be used as a synonym for 'rightous living' due to it's motivating factor, one must be careful not to view this in a negative way.

Psa 130:2 Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive To the voice of my supplications.
    Psa 130:3 If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
    Psa 130:4 But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared.

In the New Testament, the word 'fear' is often used to descibe people who behave in certain ways. The Greek word is "phobeo." In the Septuigint 'phobeo' is translated from "yare." The first usage 'phobeo'in the NT is in Matthew 1:20. God tells Joeeph not to fear. Joseph was afraid to do something. What was it? What reason could Joseph have in taking MIriam to be his wife? What motivated this fear? How did God calm his fears. or more importantly change his intentions?

Miriam also understoof Who she should fear. Reading Luke 1:46-55 we find some benefits for those who fear God.

Luk 1:46 And Mary said: "My soul exalts the Lord,
    Luk 1:47 And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
    Luk 1:48 "For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.
    Luk 1:49 "For the Mighty One has done great things for me; And holy is His name.
    Luk 1:50 "AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM.
    Luk 1:51 "He has done mighty deeds with His arm; He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart.
    Luk 1:52 "He has brought down rulers from their thrones, And has exalted those who were humble.
    Luk 1:53 "HE HAS FILLED THE HUNGRY WITH GOOD THINGS; And sent away the rich empty-handed.
    Luk 1:54 "He has given help to Israel His servant, In remembrance of His mercy,
    Luk 1:55 As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and his descendants forever."

In Luke 12:4-12, Yeshua says what his friends should fear, and not fear. Write them out, it will be of benefit.

Fear as used in Scripture is clearly treated as an emotion, sometimes a negative one. Although these passages and the ones FirstFruits applied discribe something different. God's people are describled as those who fear Him. Fearing God is the motivating force for obedience; not from the fear of retribution or punsihment, but a fear that understands that God is the King of the Universe and as such we rightly and voluntarily should come under His authority. As such, the fear of God motivates us toward what He desires for us.

Fear God because He is King. Fear God because He loves you and wants the best for you. Fear God because you are His.

Remember that 'fear' is a action word.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Great study FF!

Fear in Hebrew is "yare". It is spelled "yod-resh-alef". In ancient Hebrew pictographs, "Yod" is that of the hand of God. The letter "Resh" pictures a head, or chief. The letter "Alef" represents God Almighty, So then the image of "yare" shows the hand of God upon a man's head, bringing him under God's authority. This is why Scripture tells us not to 'yare' man.

While it is plausible that fear can be used as a synonym for 'rightous living' due to it's motivating factor, one must be careful not to view this in a negative way.

Psa 130:2 Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive To the voice of my supplications.
    Psa 130:3 If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
    Psa 130:4 But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared.

In the New Testament, the word 'fear' is often used to descibe people who behave in certain ways. The Greek word is "phobeo." In the Septuigint 'phobeo' is translated from "yare." The first usage 'phobeo'in the NT is in Matthew 1:20. God tells Joeeph not to fear. Joseph was afraid to do something. What was it? What reason could Joseph have in taking MIriam to be his wife? What motivated this fear? How did God calm his fears. or more importantly change his intentions?

Miriam also understoof Who she should fear. Reading Luke 1:46-55 we find some benefits for those who fear God.

Luk 1:46 And Mary said: "My soul exalts the Lord,
    Luk 1:47 And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
    Luk 1:48 "For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.
    Luk 1:49 "For the Mighty One has done great things for me; And holy is His name.
    Luk 1:50 "AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM.
    Luk 1:51 "He has done mighty deeds with His arm; He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart.
    Luk 1:52 "He has brought down rulers from their thrones, And has exalted those who were humble.
    Luk 1:53 "HE HAS FILLED THE HUNGRY WITH GOOD THINGS; And sent away the rich empty-handed.
    Luk 1:54 "He has given help to Israel His servant, In remembrance of His mercy,
    Luk 1:55 As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and his descendants forever."

In Luke 12:4-12, Yeshua says what his friends should fear, and not fear. Write them out, it will be of benefit.

Fear as used in Scripture is clearly treated as an emotion, sometimes a negative one. Although these passages and the ones FirstFruits applied discribe something different. God's people are describled as those who fear Him. Fearing God is the motivating force for obedience; not from the fear of retribution or punsihment, but a fear that understands that God is the King of the Universe and as such we rightly and voluntarily should come under His authority. As such, the fear of God motivates us toward what He desires for us.

Fear God because He is King. Fear God because He loves you and wants the best for you. Fear God because you are His.

Remember that 'fear' is a action word.
    Thank you Keck553,

God bless you

Firstfruits

Emanate Guest

Definition of Fear

Ecclesiastes 12:13,14 - Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanate View Post
    Ecclesiastes 12:13,14 - Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
    So by applying the following we show that we fear God.

Prov 8:13 The fear of The LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and The evil way, and The froward mouth, do I hate.

So would therefore the following would show that we fear God by not yielding ourselves to works of unrighteousness.

Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

God truly hates unrighteousness.

Firstfruits

Hey all, I figured i'd get my feet wet here, Firstfruits you said that God truly hates unrighteousness and I couldnt agree more. On the subject of fearing God, Ive learned over the years that the rewards are awesome to those who Fear him and depart from iniquity. Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator" (I Peter 4:19). "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful" Hebrews 10:23
    I for one am glad that God is Faithful and full of Grace and Mercy through his Love for the saints!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisfinished View Post
    Hey all, I figured i'd get my feet wet here, Firstfruits you said that God truly hates unrighteousness and I couldnt agree more. On the subject of fearing God, Ive learned over the years that the rewards are awesome to those who Fear him and depart from iniquity. Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator" (I Peter 4:19). "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful" Hebrews 10:23
    I for one am glad that God is Faithful and full of Grace and Mercy through his Love for the saints!
    Rewards indeed, right here and now. Well spoken. Many blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisfinished View Post
    Welcome Itrisfinished,

Did you know that Awesome is also another word for fear?

I agree, we should hold on to the confession of our faith that is in Christ.

God bless you.

Firstfruits

Rewards indeed, right here and now. Well spoken. Many blessings.
    Prov 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Let us not forget Gods mercy and hold on to His truth that we might be righteous before God.

Firstfruits

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    Prov 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Let us not forget Gods mercy and hold on to His truth that we might be righteous before God.

Firstfruits
    Not for the smallest measure of time !!

Not for the smallest measure of time !!
    Amen to that!!!!!!

God bless you.

Firstfruits

Blog Entries
    but one cannot truly fear God without first being a lover of him... correct?
    The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Quote Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
    but one cannot truly fear God without first being a lover of him... correct?
    That is why we have to work out our salvation in order to be in the way of righteousness.

Phil 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Firstfruits

Thread Information