Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The angel in Revelation 1:1

The angel in Revelation 1:1

In your opinion using scripture if possible, who or what is this angel mentioned in Revelation below? I do have my opinion I will bring out later.

Revelation 1:1 - The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and He sent and signified it by His angel unto his servant John:

Who is Jesus' angel in Revelation 1:1?

It is very evident larry2 that you have asked too hard a question for all these here with knowledge of prophesy. Maybe you should just state who or what the angel is. No I'll wait for awhile, surely there is someone out there that has an idea. Questions like this promotes study of God's word, and God would not have written it in His word unless there was something to be understood.

Hows it going Larry.

Hmmm, ill take a guess and say it was Gabriel.
    He is the Angel of Gods presense

LK 1
    The angel answered and said to him, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news.

The angel of 1:1 is likely the same angel who speaks to John in some of the chapters of the book.

Overall, however, there is no Biblical evidence for the identity of this angel, because the Revelation simply does not say. People can guess that it was Gabriel, but there's still no evidence for that.

Aside from that, how is the name of an angel directly relevant to the actual purpose of the Revelation? Perhaps the angel wasn't identified for a reason?

Thank you and Jeffweeder for your responses, and I will say that it is not Gabriel. There is actual scripture telling us who the angel is in more than one place. This was a real revelation to me when I learned it, and I will soon reveal it; there still may be someone who knows or finds the answer. The answer is in the book of Revelation.

Instead of making this a quiz game, would you like to just tell us?

It's much simpler, it allows for discussion easier (this is the End-Times Chat forum), and it saves time for everyone.

I would like you to tell us as well.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left

OK brethren - This is an excerpt from a thread I've written. Go ahead and beat me for this.

Now to explain who Jesus' angel is, is to know what God has in store for some of us. We read of Jesus' angel in Revelation 1:1, 19:10, and 22:8. Revelation 1:1. "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he (Jesus) sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John." Revelation 19:10. "And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." Revelation 22:8-9. "And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. 9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

At least for now I just want to bring one more example of God using men He calls angels in the book of Revelation. In Revelation Chapter 14 we see 6 different angels working with God, and I'll just use one verse to show the type work one is shown to do. Revelation 14:6. "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people." In future studies we may go into this one just a little. What I am telling you about angels mentioned in Revelation for the most part, is that they are redeemed mankind. I will not be going into a study of created angels other that to show a limited amount of judgment to some of them, and then only to show their relationship and hatred of God's saints if we even go that far in this study.

One last thing we want to know is that the word "angel" in the New Testament is translated from the Greek word "aggelos," which has the meaning of "a messenger, envoy, one who is sent, an angel, a messenger from God." Even Jesus Himself is referred to as an Angel in Revelation 20:1-2: "And I saw an angel (Jesus) come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand." Only One has the authority to bind Satan and bind him for a thousand years in Verse 2, and that is Jesus Himself. Enough on angels for now, and I hope you can see that it is not mostly created angels that are being dealt with in Revelation, God is dealing with mankind.

Blessings in Jesus' name -

Your a tease Larry.....................has to Michael then, right.

Blah, you posted while i was in the process of posting Larry.

Check this out about Gabriel---;

21 while I was still speaking in prayer, then the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision previously, came to me in my extreme weariness about the time of the evening offering.
    22 He gave me instruction and talked with me and said, "O Daniel, I have now come forth to give you insight with understanding.
    23 "At the beginning of your supplications the command was issued, and I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed; so give heed to the message and gain understanding of the vision.
    Gabriel is called a man.....strange hey.

Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed[2][Or keep ] the things which are written in it; for the time is near.

Quoting Jeffweeder - Gabriel is called a man.....strange hey.

Response - Good observation - It surely is something to study - thanks

Hi Larry

It seems Gabriel had all the experience in showing visions, giving insight and signifying the things of God to man.

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated[1][Or signified ] it by His angel to His bond-servant John,
    When I, Daniel, had seen the vision, I sought to understand it; and behold, standing before me was one who looked like a man.
    16 And I heard the voice of a man between the banks of Ulai, and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give this man an understanding of the vision."
    17 So he came near to where I was standing, and when he came I was frightened and fell on my face; but he said to me, "Son of man, understand that the vision pertains to the time of the end."

18 Now while he was talking with me, I sank into a deep sleep with my face to the ground; but he touched me and made me stand upright.
    19 He said, "Behold, I am going to let you know what will occur at the final period of the indignation, for it pertains to the appointed time of the end.
    Gabriel definately had a handle on things pertaining to the end.
    He is the Angel of redemption -Daniels 70 weeks and his dealings with Mary and Joseph.
    This is the only time Gabriel is mentioned.... by name.

Daniel is the one who describes Gabriel as a "man". This does not mean Gabriel is merely a man. In the ancient days of Genesis, we see three people, and the writer directly calls them "men"; they approach Abraham, and he has no idea that they're really YHWH and two angels.

mdo757 Guest
    A person studying the bible needs to remember that the words "Messenger-s" has been given the interpretation 'Angel-s." Angel-s are part of the Pagan religions and not a Judaic teaching.

Even though we see beings of higher elevation than man in both the OT and the NT? It's a bold claim to say angels (the heavenly host) are "pagan" when they are right there in the Bible.

Thread Information