Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we suppose to pray outloud or silently when alone?

Blog Entries

Are we suppose to pray outloud or silently when alone?

Usually I pray silently when I am alone, unless I am doing prayers with my son, of course...but something happened this past week or so where I had prayed out loud and my prayers were instantly answered...

I have tried to think of any verses covering this but all I can think of is where Jesus says this:

Matthew 6

5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

But it doesn't say if when praying alone if our prayers should be said out loud or not...anyone know?

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries
    Really - if we are alone we aren't being hypocrates doing it for all to see and the pharasees and saducees did. All that is talking about is humility, and don't make yourself seem righteous because of that false humility in seeking acknowledgement by men.

Pray out loud when you can, if you want. But I find praying out loud makes things more personal. Nothing wrong with it if you do and nothing wrong if you don't pray out loud.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

I think God hears you no matter how big or small you talk.
    13Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 1 Corinthians

I'm not a "positive confessor" or into dominion, but there may be something to be said (no pun intended) for speaking out loud.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
    Romans 10:10

I think silent prayer is fine, but speaking out loud requires a better train of thought and even voice inflection which we hear back - even strengthening our faith. (Rom 10:17)

Blog Entries
    Ok thanks all...I guess I never thought about praying out loud when I was alone...though sometimes I would..or start praying out loud then going to being silent...

Oh I gotta tell you something...the other day I was driving down the road and a lost dog ran out in front of the car my son and I were in. I had to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting the poor thing. Scared me to pieces! Scared the dog too and it moved out of the road which is what I wanted since more cars were coming and it was a four lane road. Anyway I always pray for these lost pets but usually to myself. Well I prayed out loud and my son looked at me and said..."You do realize you are doing that out loud don't you? " He missed the first part of what I said...I had told him I usually pray for these lost pets...then I was trying to show him how I prayed! So yea, I meant to pray out loud for him to hear..lol.

Anyway I have been trying to pray more out loud.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    Usually I pray silently when I am alone, unless I am doing prayers with my son, of course...but something happened this past week or so where I had prayed out loud and my prayers were instantly answered...

I have tried to think of any verses covering this but all I can think of is where Jesus says this:

Matthew 6

5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

But it doesn't say if when praying alone if our prayers should be said out loud or not...anyone know?

God bless
    Matthew 18:20
    For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Either one is good. The bible encourages us to do both.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Friend of I AM View Post
    Matthew 18:20
    For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Either one is good. The bible encourages us to do both.
    I am sorry but I don't understand your post.... I am talking about praying out loud alone..not with other people...

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    I am sorry but I don't understand your post.... I am talking about praying out loud alone..not with other people...
    Oh -- whoops my bad. Should have read the post better. I'd say whatever comes naturally to you.

“The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”(that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:8b-10)

So out loud or silently is okay. Just depends on how the spirit moves you. God bless.

Stephen

OK..now don't laugh at this, but...

Years ago someone reminded me that satan was not "all-knowing," that he was limited in his knowledge of exactly how to harm us or tempt us....although he has thousands of years of knowledge, he still has some limits. The idea being that he probably has a great guess as to what I am thinking, but it is still a guess. He cannot read our minds. Ergo, if we pray silently he has to guess about our deepest fears, needs, etc. However, if we pray aloud he can hear the prayer and use it against us. So, I have always been careful to pray silently. Silly, I know. But, that is why I pray in silence.

You can pray any way you want to, darlin'. Out loud or silently, God hears it all.
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saved! View Post
    Years ago someone reminded me that satan was not "all-knowing," that he was limited in his knowledge of exactly how to harm us or tempt us....although he has thousands of years of knowledge, he still has some limits. The idea being that he probably has a great guess as to what I am thinking, but it is still a guess. He cannot read our minds. Ergo, if we pray silently he has to guess about our deepest fears, needs, etc. However, if we pray aloud he can hear the prayer and use it against us. So, I have always been careful to pray silently. Silly, I know. But, that is why I pray in silence.
    Why would satan have the power to use a prayer God has already heard against us? I heard something like that too, but God is bigger than that, in my humble opinion. I really have no regards to the enemy when I converse with my God, other than kicking his sorry tail to the curb as God directs. I would encourage you to boldly proclaim the word of the Lord in prayer, right into the enemy's face. You can do it.

P.S. The enemy has a LOT of limits, by the way. His power doesn't even compare to God's. Be encouraged, and let your beautiful voice be heard. He alreay knows most of our fears anyway, because he has been watching us for years and knows exactly what our buttons are. So what? Who cares? We know what his are, too, and he is deathly afraid of Jesus and those who boldly step into His Presence, proclaiming His Word and our love for Him.

Blog Entries
    I have heard that too...but for rebuking satan...not in regards to our prayers to God...whether its even true or not in both cases, I don't know that there is any scriptures on it... One thing I do know is satan can only be in one place at a time...unlike God who is everywhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
    You can pray any way you want to, darlin'. Out loud or silently, God hears it all.
    Yep!!............

God bless

Blog Entries
    If you look back at the prophets and kings, David and Isaiah for example, they cried out to God. They did lots of praying out loud!
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Do you trust God to protect you from Satan? And if Satan is really that smart, what makes you think he won't figure out your deepest fears by observing your life even when you're not praying?

I think you're giving Satan way too much power. You have a God on your side who is so much more powerful than Satan that there is no need to fear. Satan cannot do anything to you that God does not allow. And if God allows it, then being the most silent pray-er in the world won't make any difference. Go ahead and shout your requests to the heavens, there's no need to fear.
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

I have always thought about the praying out loud vs silently and the other day I saw a perfect example of God's acceptance of silent prayer in 1 Samuel 1:12 where Hannah prays for a son which turns out to be Samuel when God answers the prayer.

1 Samuel 1:12
    "And it happened, as she continued praying before the Lord, that Eli watched her mouth. Now Hannah spoke in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard."

That prayer was answered with the birth of Samuel.

Thread Information