Thread: commentary for Psalms only

commentary for Psalms only

I would like suggestions for a good commentary that covers the Psalms only. I'm going to begin reading Psalsm daily and would like to have a commentary in case I want to look up something that I don't understand.

Someone suggested -- The Treasury of David in another thread. I'll look into this one, but wanted to know some other suggestions so that I can compare.

Quote Originally Posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
    I would like suggestions for a good commentary that covers the Psalms only. I'm going to begin reading Psalsm daily and would like to have a commentary in case I want to look up something that I don't understand.

Someone suggested -- The Treasury of David in another thread. I'll look into this one, but wanted to know some other suggestions so that I can compare.
    The 3 volume Psalms set by John Goldingay was just completed this month. I still need to purchase the third one, but I enjoyed the other two thoroughly. It's the best Psalms commentary currently available. Single volume Psalms commentaries are pretty trite, and probably won't address your questions. I own one and have looked at some others and was thoroughly unimpressed. The Psalms simply require much explanation. Goldingay does excellent verse-by-verse exposition.

Psalms Volume 1 by Gerald H. Wilson is also very good and might prove to serve your devotional purposes better. Unfortunately, Wilson died since its publication and someone else was recently contracted to write the second volume in the set.

Encountering the Book of Psalms: A Literary and Theological Introduction (Encountering Biblical Studies) by C. Hassell Bullock is the best introduction to the entire book currently available.

Thread Information