Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66

Thread: Men having multiple wives but no wives having multiple husbands?

  1. #1

    Men having multiple wives but no wives having multiple husbands?

    The whole man/woman just sorta irks me. I don't know why. Okay, that's not true, I do know why. I don't feel like we are treated as equals. So I figured I'd ask people who know more than I do.

    Okay, so Solomon had like 700 wives and more concubines, and David had lots of wives too. But no woman in the Bible is ever described as having more than one husband. Why is that? It seems too weird to be just a coincidence.

    And I guess I also want to ask about the scripture that says women should be pure (virgins) for their husbands. I totally agree! But what about the guys with more than one wife? I mean, after the first marriage, they would no longer be 'pure' for anyone.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    167
    The whole man/woman just sorta irks me. I don't feel like we are treated as equals.

    I certainly don't treat women like equals, I treat them as they are, the weaker gender.
    I hold doors, offer my seat, stand in respect, give them the way in conversations,
    adore, admire, willing to sacrifice most anything for a woman.

    As for a man, he can hold his own, we earn respect from one another, and you better
    be good if your going to butt into a conversation.

    I believe women should be hired with equal pay if they qualify to do the job and get equal respect
    on the job and yes it hasn't always been that way. Sorry for my Neandrathal cousins.
    I believe men and women are equal in mental ability, but physically we were created
    for different roles. men cannot give birth nor does it seem to be able to nurture with the
    same quality a woman can. These roles cannot be ignored.


    No woman in the Bible is ever described as having more than one husband.
    Why is that? It seems too weird to be just a coincidence.

    I believe women got more respect from the Jews than any other nation of the times.
    To have more than one wife means to be able to support them. Not many women could
    make it back then in a man's world.

    A concubine was a girl who's father couldn't keep her and who didn't want her to marry
    the local riff raff, so he would give her to a rich man, who in turn would supply all her needs
    including sexual, but she didn't have the status of a wife.


    The scripture that says women should be pure (virgins) for their husbands. But what about the guys with more than one wife?

    In times of war and short life spans, it must have been stressful to live in such an environment.
    To be taken into a rich man's home I'm sure was not seen as drudgery but a blessing to
    most girls in that time. I'm sure there were abuses but with godly men the blessings were enormous.

    Abraham feared being killed just because his wife was beautiful so he told Sarah to tell
    people she was his sister because he knew that's how dangerous men were back then.
    Women were seen as possessions, as we see Lot offering his daughters to the mob for sexual
    satisfaction if they would only leave his guests alone. What does that say for the day to day
    struggle of abuse women must have lived under the daily threat of?

    I will never treat my wife nor my daughter as an equal but will always hold them in high
    regards and give their voice their opinion more weight over my own. My role is to love
    them as Christ loved the church. Therefore my role is to be a servant to them.

    RJ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Closer than you think...
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
    ...But no woman in the Bible is ever described as having more than one husband...
    John 4:13-17 (NLT)


    13 Jesus replied, “Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. 14 But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.”

    15 “Please, sir,” the woman said, “give me this water! Then I’ll never be thirsty again, and I won’t have to come here to get water.”

    16 “Go and get your husband,” Jesus told her.

    17 “I don’t have a husband,” the woman replied.

    Jesus said, “You’re right! You don’t have a husband—

    18 for you have had five husbands, and you aren’t even married to the man you’re living with now. You certainly spoke the truth!”

    Just sayin'...
    θεοφιλε

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,652
    Blog Entries
    12
    Does Christ have more than one wife, His bride the church?

    Does a woman have a husband of the flesh now, and Christ as her husband?

    It is a matter of seeing things with physical and spiritual eyes.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island!!!
    Posts
    4,901
    Blog Entries
    10
    1 Peter 3:7-"Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered."

    1 Peter 3:1a-"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands...."


    Genesis 3:16-"Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

    ........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a




  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    John 4:13-17 (NLT)


    13 Jesus replied, “Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. 14 But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.”

    15 “Please, sir,” the woman said, “give me this water! Then I’ll never be thirsty again, and I won’t have to come here to get water.”

    16 “Go and get your husband,” Jesus told her.

    17 “I don’t have a husband,” the woman replied.

    Jesus said, “You’re right! You don’t have a husband—

    18 for you have had five husbands, and you aren’t even married to the man you’re living with now. You certainly spoke the truth!”

    Just sayin'...
    I meant at one time, silly! Geez...men

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Mac View Post
    The whole man/woman just sorta irks me. I don't feel like we are treated as equals.

    I certainly don't treat women like equals, I treat them as they are, the weaker gender.
    I hold doors, offer my seat, stand in respect, give them the way in conversations,
    adore, admire, willing to sacrifice most anything for a woman.

    As for a man, he can hold his own, we earn respect from one another, and you better
    be good if your going to butt into a conversation.

    I believe women should be hired with equal pay if they qualify to do the job and get equal respect
    on the job and yes it hasn't always been that way. Sorry for my Neandrathal cousins.
    I believe men and women are equal in mental ability, but physically we were created
    for different roles. men cannot give birth nor does it seem to be able to nurture with the
    same quality a woman can. These roles cannot be ignored.


    No woman in the Bible is ever described as having more than one husband.
    Why is that? It seems too weird to be just a coincidence.

    I believe women got more respect from the Jews than any other nation of the times.
    To have more than one wife means to be able to support them. Not many women could
    make it back then in a man's world.

    A concubine was a girl who's father couldn't keep her and who didn't want her to marry
    the local riff raff, so he would give her to a rich man, who in turn would supply all her needs
    including sexual, but she didn't have the status of a wife.


    The scripture that says women should be pure (virgins) for their husbands. But what about the guys with more than one wife?

    In times of war and short life spans, it must have been stressful to live in such an environment.
    To be taken into a rich man's home I'm sure was not seen as drudgery but a blessing to
    most girls in that time. I'm sure there were abuses but with godly men the blessings were enormous.

    Abraham feared being killed just because his wife was beautiful so he told Sarah to tell
    people she was his sister because he knew that's how dangerous men were back then.
    Women were seen as possessions, as we see Lot offering his daughters to the mob for sexual
    satisfaction if they would only leave his guests alone. What does that say for the day to day
    struggle of abuse women must have lived under the daily threat of?

    I will never treat my wife nor my daughter as an equal but will always hold them in high
    regards and give their voice their opinion more weight over my own. My role is to love
    them as Christ loved the church. Therefore my role is to be a servant to them.

    RJ
    See, this is my struggle...I cringe at the 'weaker gender' stuff. It offends me on some deep level, because I think its meant as more than "physically weaker." I think a lot of people use it to mean I'm more easily confused or tricked, and that I need to be protected.

    But at the same time, I know what the Bible says. I'm not married, but I know I'm supposed to submit to my husband and let him be the boss. Its just so hard for me to think about actually doing that.

    Hmm.. I think I need this board more than I thought I did!

  8. #8
    Mysteryman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
    I meant at one time, silly! Geez...men
    Throughout the Word of God a woman is looked at by God as either pure (virgin) , which means clean, or a whore, which means unclean. If a woman has more than one man in any way or fashion, she is a whore according to scripture.

    A man is not put into that light of understanding. It was not wrong for King David to have more than one wife, nor was it wrong of Abraham nor of Solomon.

    But the church is suppose to be like Adam, who not only had one wife, but his wife was of himself. This represents the image of God. The two becoming one. This is why the Church is called the Last Adam.

    Simply put, it is the way God set it up. It was meant to be !

    Every man who had many wives in the OT were also responsible to care for them as well as their offspring.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Throughout the Word of God a woman is looked at by God as either pure (virgin) , which means clean, or a whore, which means unclean. If a woman has more than one man in any way or fashion, she is a whore according to scripture.

    A man is not put into that light of understanding. It was not wrong for King David to have more than one wife, nor was it wrong of Abraham nor of Solomon.
    Where is that in the Bible?? That women are whores if they get divorced and remarried, even if the husband cheated on them, but men can get married as much as they want? Please guide me to specific scripture on this, as I just can't believe that is in the Bible!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hinton, WV
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
    The whole man/woman just sorta irks me. I don't know why. Okay, that's not true, I do know why. I don't feel like we are treated as equals. So I figured I'd ask people who know more than I do.

    Okay, so Solomon had like 700 wives and more concubines, and David had lots of wives too. But no woman in the Bible is ever described as having more than one husband. Why is that? It seems too weird to be just a coincidence.

    And I guess I also want to ask about the scripture that says women should be pure (virgins) for their husbands. I totally agree! But what about the guys with more than one wife? I mean, after the first marriage, they would no longer be 'pure' for anyone.
    Its a fair question, and while I can't cite scripture to this end, I've been of the thought that the reason is that of the women mentioned in the bible. All of them were smart enough to know they could not serve two masters (multiple husbands). For a long time even in our society it was more the men who would be seen as cheating, the men who desired and committed adultery so to speak.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,652
    Blog Entries
    12
    Let me say this.

    If we submit ourselves to God, why would it matter? Submitting to our husbands is part of it.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.


  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Veretax View Post
    Its a fair question, and while I can't cite scripture to this end, I've been of the thought that the reason is that of the women mentioned in the bible. All of them were smart enough to know they could not serve two masters (multiple husbands). For a long time even in our society it was more the men who would be seen as cheating, the men who desired and committed adultery so to speak.
    I had to go to class and take a few deep breaths to keep from getting too wound up about this. I prayed for the wisdom to let God speak to me through his Word, and to let others more knowledgeable about the Word to guide me. I know I am too prideful and independent sometimes!

    I sure wouldn't want two husbands! I just didn't understand why a different rule would apply to men and women, and why guys would be allowed to marry lots of women and not be 'pure' for any but the first. I mean, I understand that practically speaking (men had all the power and money and women had few rights), it could work, but I don't see how that makes it "right," if you know what I mean.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    435
    I think it is a foreign concept to us now because those were very different times. Like it or not, women in that time were thought of as property. Men loved their wives much of the time, but in general women had no rights. Aren't we glad those times have changed? I would not want more than one husband...I have spoken with my husband and he is adamant he could never handle more than one wife.

    One thing I have always wondered about in this arena, could it be that since women gave birth to the family heir the reason they needed to be pure? Honestly I do not know, just a thought.
    Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God,
    will come to know God because they know you.

    "If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under".
    ~Ronald Reagan

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SethElijah View Post
    I think it is a foreign concept to us now because those were very different times. Like it or not, women in that time were thought of as property. Men loved their wives much of the time, but in general women had no rights. Aren't we glad those times have changed? I would not want more than one husband...I have spoken with my husband and he is adamant he could never handle more than one wife.

    One thing I have always wondered about in this arena, could it be that since women gave birth to the family heir the reason they needed to be pure? Honestly I do not know, just a thought.
    I don't know, either. I know God made man first, and so it makes sense that God would say that the husband should be the head of the home (I will get myself to accept that in my heart! I know its right!)

    BUT, how would that justify different rules for men and women being 'pure' for their spouses? I mean, a guy at church told me that women would be stoned to death for not being 'pure' before marriage. I am going to google that right now because I have no idea if its in the Bible.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk Broads
    Posts
    3,168
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
    Where is that in the Bible?? That women are whores if they get divorced and remarried, even if the husband cheated on them, but men can get married as much as they want? Please guide me to specific scripture on this, as I just can't believe that is in the Bible!
    Women are not considered whores in the Bible if they are widowed and remarry... One of David's wives, Abigail, was a widow, and David honoured her. She's not considered an unsavoury character in the Bible.

    Also, Paul actually recommends that young widows remarry - I'm sure he wouldn't do that if he thought it would make the women "whores." Likewise, the Leverite marriages suggested by Moses (widows who married the nearest relative of their husband) were not considered whores. In fact Ruth, an ancestor of Jesus, was commended for adopting this custom, in order to ensure that her husband's family line did not die out. She was a righteous woman, "worth more than seven sons", according to her mother in law.

    So, anyone teaching that women are only allowed to have marital relations with one man in a life time, or that they are "whores" if they are not virgins, is imposing something on the Bible that is simply not there.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

    My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. In the Old Testament.. multiple wives etc
    By Jeanne D in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 1st 2008, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 63
    Last Post: Oct 21st 2007, 10:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •