Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Pagan Holiday?

Blog Entries

Re: Pagan Holiday?

I'm not so sure. Saying that it's pagen means that some see the "Easter Bunny" and "Santa Claus" as part of a religion doesn't it?

I think it's very bad parenting for parents to allow and even participate in their children believing either one actually exist but I'm not sure anyone is actually worshiping a stupid rabbit or a fat guy in a funny red suit.

On the other hand they could be seen as a sort of false idol if parents aren't actively being honest with their children about them and God.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    It's very simple:

Celebrating about an "easter" bunny that doesn't exist... is pagan.

Remembering and celebrating the resurrection of Christ, is not pagan.
    But is it really as simple as you state above? Easter (Pascha or passover, easter is a pagan name) is one of the Israelite feasts. We read about it in Lev. 23:4: These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye (Israel) shall proclaim in their seasons And then follow successively:

• The LORD'S passover, v. 5
    • The feast of unleavened bread, seven days, v. 6 8;
    • The bringing and moving the sheaf of the first fruits the other day after the Sabbath, v. 9 14;
    • The new meal offering on the 50th day, v. 15 22; this is Pentecost, because Pentecost means 50th day;
    • The memorial of blowing the trumpets on the first of the seventh month, v. 23 25;
    • The Day of Atonement on the tenth of the seventh month, v. 26 32;
    • The feast of tabernacles, seven days, v. 33 43.

So 7 feasts. These are all for Israel. And Moses declared unto the children of Israel the feasts of the LORD , v. 44. This is all by the Law of Moses, so why should we Christians celebrate only one of them and even by its pagan name? If you read about Pascha what does Scripture clearly state? And the LORD said unto Moses and Aaron, This is the ordinance of the passover: There shall no stranger eat thereof and v. 48 And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof .

Aristarkos

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aristarkos View Post
    But is it really as simple as you state above? Easter (Pascha or passover, easter is a pagan name) is one of the Israelite feasts. We read about it in Lev. 23:4: These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye (Israel) shall proclaim in their seasons And then follow successively:

• The LORD'S passover, v. 5
    • The feast of unleavened bread, seven days, v. 6 — 8;
    • The bringing and moving the sheaf of the first fruits the other day after the Sabbath, v. 9 — 14;
    • The new meal offering on the 50th day, v. 15 — 22; this is Pentecost, because Pentecost means 50th day;
    • The memorial of blowing the trumpets on the first of the seventh month, v. 23 — 25;
    • The Day of Atonement on the tenth of the seventh month, v. 26 — 32;
    • The feast of tabernacles, seven days, v. 33 — 43.

So 7 feasts. These are all for Israel. And Moses declared unto the children of Israel the feasts of the LORD , v. 44. This is all by the Law of Moses, so why should we Christians celebrate only one of them and even by its pagan name? If you read about Pascha what does Scripture clearly state? And the LORD said unto Moses and Aaron, This is the ordinance of the passover: There shall no stranger eat thereof and v. 48 And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof .

Aristarkos
    I'm not Isaeli, nor am I a Judaizer. As a Christian, I will celebrate the resurrection of Christ.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

I'm not Isaeli, nor am I a Judaizer. As a Christian, I will celebrate the resurrection of Christ.
    Which you call easter? Interesting.

Aristarkos

Blog Entries

Which you call easter? Interesting.

Aristarkos
    I did not say that celebrating the resurrection of Christ, is easter. Easter, is man celebrating a fictitious bunny to appease capitalism.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

You're wrong on all counts.

There is no - absolutely no - historical, proven as factual with, you know, actual facts, that Easter is or even was a pagan name or associated with some goddess that no one ever heard of or worshiped. A couple of people made that assumption that it just had to be - for reasons! - and others have just run with it.
    There's no proof of it. At all.

The celebration of Christ's resurrection has no connection to the feasts in Leviticus. None whatsoever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

There is no - absolutely no - historical, proven as factual with, you know, actual facts, that Easter is or even was a pagan name. A couple of people made that assumption that it just had to be - for reasons! - and others have just run with it.

The celebration of Christ's resurrection has no connection to the feasts in Leviticus. None whatsoever.
    Hooah! I made an attempt to point that out by saying I'm not a Judaizer.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Hooah! I made an attempt to point that out by saying I'm not a Judaizer.
    Yep I got it. I just like to elaborate and throw other things in.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

There is no - absolutely no - historical, proven as factual with, you know, actual facts, that Easter is or even was a pagan name or associated with some goddess that no one ever heard of or worshiped. A couple of people made that assumption that it just had to be - for reasons! - and others have just run with it.

Really? What Scripture do you read? Christ is the paschal sacrifice, you are aware He was crucified at passover? Christ is even called the lamb. No proof at all? You've got to be kidding Brian, really.

Aristarkos

Blog Entries

Nope, not kidding. The post I replied to was filled with misinformation.

Now you want to spin it and act like I don't know about the Crucifixion and that He is the Lamb of God? Or that I even touched on that?

Come on man. YOU have got to be kidding.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Nope, not kidding. The post I replied to was filled with misinformation.

Now you want to spin it and act like I don't know about the Crucifixion and that He is the Lamb of God? Or that I even touched on that?

Come on man. YOU have got to be kidding.
    Well thank you very much Brian.

Aristarkos

Cool Re: Pagan Holiday?

Well then Brian, why don't you go and get a secular dictionary and look up the name "Easter?" It will inform you on the origin of the name.
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Blog Entries

Agreed. Any time we can have a communal event that turns our eyes to Jesus is a good thing.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Well then Brian, why don't you go and get a secular dictionary and look up the name "Easter?" It will inform you on the origin of the name.
    It will say exactly what I stated. It's a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's actually THE oldest Christian celebration/holiday and the most important day of the church year.

The other secular stuff ( the stupid rabbit, eggs, candy baskets etc ) is all man made tradition and might as well be pagan.

Then it will say as I also stated - some gobbelygook about some goddess no one ever heard of or worshiped. I've got news for you, just because a dictionary says it it doesn't make it true.

Study your history. This all stems from an eighth century monk and a nineteenth century German folklorist who guessed/assumed different origins of the word Easter who had no historical proof or sources whatsoever.
    The former claimed it must have been a Saxon goddess while the later claimed it must have been a German goddess. Neither had ever been written about except that which they wrote themselves and no shrines or other mention of either "goddess" had ever been found in anything anywhere before or after they wrote of them.

In other words, they both made it all up.

The Two Babylons
    Alexander Hislop

Chapter III
    Section II
    Easter

Then look at Easter. What means the term Easter itself? It is not a Christian name. It bears its Chaldean origin on its very forehead. Easter is nothing else than Astarte, one of the titles of Beltis, the queen of heaven, whose name, as pronounced by the people Nineveh, was evidently identical with that now in common use in this country. That name, aas found by Layard on the Assyrian monuments, is Ishtar. The worship of Bel and Astarte was very early introduced into Britain, along with the Druids, "the priests of the groves." Some have imagined that the Druidical worship was first introduced by the Phoenicians, who, centuries before the Christian era, traded to the tin-mines of Cornwall. But the unequivocal traces of that worship are found in regions of the British islands where the Phoenicians never penetrated, and it has everywhere left indelible marks of the strong hold which it must have had on the early British mind.

https://www.biblebelievers.com/babylon/sect32.htm
    A man is in a great place when he has no one to turn to but God.

~ Smith Wigglesworth

Thread Information