Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: Walking in the Spirit!!!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102

    Walking in the Spirit!!!!!

    According to the following scripture, how does following the ten commandments compare to following the Spirit?

    Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

    Thanks,

    God bless you!

    Firstfruits

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    30,184
    Blog Entries
    94
    For me... following the 10 Commandments protects me from "doing" evil. Walking in the spirit protects me "from" evil.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Everywhere I go, there I am.
    Posts
    21,012
    Mark 12

    29-And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
    30-And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31-And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

    If we love our neighbor as ourself, we will not steal from him and most assuredly we will not kill him. If we love our neighbor as ourself, we will not covet what they have, we will rejoice in their blessing.

    If we love the Lord with all our heart, there is no room for other loves. We cannot put "another" god before Him if we are filled with His Spirit.

    Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone other than me or not...
    V
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi




  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    For me... following the 10 Commandments protects me from "doing" evil. Walking in the spirit protects me "from" evil.
    Is the evil you speak of not the lusts of the flesh?

    Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

    So if you are following the Spirit, is it not the Spirit that protects you from doing evil?

    Firstfruits

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    Mark 12

    29-And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
    30-And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31-And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

    If we love our neighbor as ourself, we will not steal from him and most assuredly we will not kill him. If we love our neighbor as ourself, we will not covet what they have, we will rejoice in their blessing.

    If we love the Lord with all our heart, there is no room for other loves. We cannot put "another" god before Him if we are filled with His Spirit.

    Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone other than me or not...
    V
    Is it the Spirit or the ten commandments that covers those things which we shall not do because we love them?

    Firstfruits

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Everywhere I go, there I am.
    Posts
    21,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    Is it the Spirit or the ten commandments that covers those things which we shall not do because we love them?

    Firstfruits
    In my opinion it's the Spirit. When I "walk" in the Spirit, there is no need to dwell on any list of do-s and don't-s.

    The Holy Spirit changes people from the inside out, not the outside in.
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi




  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    In my opinion it's the Spirit. When I "walk" in the Spirit, there is no need to dwell on any list of do-s and don't-s.

    The Holy Spirit changes people from the inside out, not the outside in.
    Thanks Vhayes,

    Is that what this scripure means when it speaks of better promises?

    Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

    So that all we need to do is to follow the Spirit?

    Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

    Firstfruits

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Everywhere I go, there I am.
    Posts
    21,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    Thanks Vhayes,

    Is that what this scripure means when it speaks of better promises?

    Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

    So that all we need to do is to follow the Spirit?

    Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

    Firstfruits
    To me, yes. That's exactly what it means. It's called a "better" covenant, a New Covenant, for a reason.

    I really don't know how to explain what I think/mean. It isn't so much following the Spirit as it is being guided and led. When I have submitted my will and my being to the Holy Spirit, it isn't so much that I struggle not to do certain things (the flesh), it's that they no longer have appeal at all. Do I live in that way 24/7? Nope. I'm still human and I still get ego-driven. I still grab the steering wheel away from God because i am sooooo sure I have it down now and I can do a "better" job. No matter how "mature" I become, I will always need to let God drive. I bang up the fenders and get us lost when left to my own devices.

    Again, I'm not sure if I've made much sense to anyone but myself...
    V
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,278
    I don't "Keep the Ten Commandments" . . .

    I just love the Lord and seek Him. I don't keep myself from stealing from others because there is a commandment that says thou shall not steal. I do not refrain from murdering another because there is a commandment stating thou shall not murder.

    I don't do those things because I want to live for the Lord and I want to love other people rather than hurt them . . . not because I'm trying to "Keep the Ten Commandments".
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

    -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by VerticalReality View Post
    I don't "Keep the Ten Commandments" . . .

    I just love the Lord and seek Him. I don't keep myself from stealing from others because there is a commandment that says thou shall not steal. I do not refrain from murdering another because there is a commandment stating thou shall not murder.

    I don't do those things because I want to live for the Lord and I want to love other people rather than hurt them . . . not because I'm trying to "Keep the Ten Commandments".
    So you are applying the scripture to walk in the spirit and not fulfiling the works of the flesh.

    Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

    Firstfruits

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    30,184
    Blog Entries
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    Is the evil you speak of not the lusts of the flesh?

    Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

    So if you are following the Spirit, is it not the Spirit that protects you from doing evil?

    Firstfruits
    I guess it matters how looked at. When the enemy is firing darts at me (temptation) sometimes I do nothing and allow my armor (Ephesians 6:10-20) to do the job. I basically shrug it off and was protected "from" evil. If I am weak for whatever reason cause I haven't been walking strongly in the spirit... not praying is the biggest for me, not reading the Bible is next for me, not fellowshipping (church, ministry etc) is after that for me... then I have the conviction of the 10 Commandments to prevent me from doing evil. When that fails and I allow temptation to get the best of me and enter my heart and I act on it... sin.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102

    Comparison!!!

    These are the nine aspects of the Spirit;

    Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

    By following them we will be doing that which is pleasing to God, by not fulfilling the works of the flesh. This deals with the Spirit.

    In comparison, the ten commandments deals with the flesh with regards to the works of the flesh, as it tells us about what we should not do, which if we are already following the Spirit we shall not fulfill the lust/works of the flesh.

    Firstfruits

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,668
    Blog Entries
    3
    VHayes-

    Everything you have said is good! I understand what you say perfectly. I don't worry about following the 10 commandments either. Mainly because I know I can't even keep myself from murdering sometimes if I so much as go out on the beltway and drive!

    Even the court systems recognize things like this because the penalty is much steeper if you plan evil as opposed to if blind rage just suddenly consumes you. (The whole premeditation thing.)

    But I think sometimes it takes some people longer to see that they cannot keep the 10 commandments in any way other than literally in a human way but our sickness goes deeper into our hearts and He is concerned with the heart not the outward keeping.

    It always comes down to our attempts versus our complete reliance on Him to do all in us.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Everywhere I go, there I am.
    Posts
    21,012
    Quote Originally Posted by paintdiva View Post
    VHayes-

    Everything you have said is good! I understand what you say perfectly. I don't worry about following the 10 commandments either. Mainly because I know I can't even keep myself from murdering sometimes if I so much as go out on the beltway and drive!

    Even the court systems recognize things like this because the penalty is much steeper if you plan evil as opposed to if blind rage just suddenly consumes you. (The whole premeditation thing.)

    But I think sometimes it takes some people longer to see that they cannot keep the 10 commandments in any way other than literally in a human way but our sickness goes deeper into our hearts and He is concerned with the heart not the outward keeping.

    It always comes down to our attempts versus our complete reliance on Him to do all in us.
    Tee-hee! This made me laugh because it is sooooo true. My personal lesson in humility is my weekly trek to the grocery store. If not for the Holy Spirit, I would commit murder weekly...

    Thanks for the post!
    V
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi




  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    I guess it matters how looked at. When the enemy is firing darts at me (temptation) sometimes I do nothing and allow my armor (Ephesians 6:10-20) to do the job. I basically shrug it off and was protected "from" evil. If I am weak for whatever reason cause I haven't been walking strongly in the spirit... not praying is the biggest for me, not reading the Bible is next for me, not fellowshipping (church, ministry etc) is after that for me... then I have the conviction of the 10 Commandments to prevent me from doing evil. When that fails and I allow temptation to get the best of me and enter my heart and I act on it... sin.
    Would you say that there are times as you have said when you are not walking in the Spirit and therefore because of yielding to temptation you have fulfilled the the works of the flesh?

    Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

    Firstfruits

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. walking after the Spirit
    By ziggywaves in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov 8th 2007, 08:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •