Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How would Jesus deal with evil people committing horrible acts right in front of Him?

How would Jesus deal with evil people committing horrible acts right in front of Him?

I do not know if there is a passage that shows this happening, but if there is, I am unaware of it.

How would Jesus have dealt with a person raping / killing / molesting someone right in front of Him? Would He have physically interfered?

I know the story about him saving the woman from being stoned to death, but there he was able to save her using only his words "you who have not sinned cast the first stone." But let's face it, that is not going to work all the time.

What if the people would have insisted on stoning the woman and started tossing stones at her? What if Jesus had witnessed a man assaulting a woman right in front of him and his words did not stop the man?

I can't believe we have not talked about this before.

Bex

bosco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
    I do not know if there is a passage that shows this happening, but if there is, I am unaware of it.

How would Jesus have dealt with a person raping / killing / molesting someone right in front of Him? Would He have physically interfered?

I know the story about him saving the woman from being stoned to death, but there he was able to save her using only his words "you who have not sinned cast the first stone." But let's face it, that is not going to work all the time.

What if the people would have insisted on stoning the woman and started tossing stones at her? What if Jesus had witnessed a man assaulting a woman right in front of him and his words did not stop the man?

I can't believe we have not talked about this before.

Bex
    While we see one sin as bigger than another, God sees all sin as sin. So we see Christ get somewhat physical when over turning tables around the temple. Understanding he is the epitome of grace, I can't see him standing there watching, or turning his back on, such a horrible act like those you mentioned. Just my opinion.

Bosco

I can't either. In another thread we had talked about whether Jesus would save someone in a flood if that person had been drowning children on his way over the Jesus' boat. I think Jesus would have physically stopped the person from doing that, but assuming that he did not, I still don't think Jesus would let the guy in his boat.

Again, that's just me trying to make sense of how Jesus would act in a certain situation. But I think this is a VERY important question because it asks us to apply what Jesus taught to real life and not just talk in generalities.

Bex

Luke 22:36 (New American Standard Bible)

36And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

Jesus found it more important to be armed than warm. Why would Jesus tell us to be armed, if not for protection of ourselves and others who need protection? I believe Jesus intentionally avoided any physical confrintation, with exception of clearing the temple so that He could not be slandered, otherwise....

BAM!!!!
    CRACK!!!!!
    SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Then He would probably have a discussion of repentance and forgiveness imediately following. That is just my opinion.

Again, I agree but the fact that Jesus never actually interfered physically kinda bothers me.

I mean, Jesus was fully human but also fully God. He knew everything! He knew everything that was going on around him. He knew what people were good and what people were bad. As he walked through towns he would have to had know about all the evil acts that were going on around him. Even if he couldn't "see" or "hear" them as a person, he would know about them because he was fully God.

As he walked through towns, there had to be times when Jesus knew a man in a building somewhere was slapping his wife or hurting a child or being cruel to a slave. Why do think Jesus did not interfere and stop some of these things? I'm not saying he should have acted like a super hero or something, its just that this was the ONE time God was going to walk on the earth among people. I guess, when I think about it, I sorta thought Jesus would have physically stopped more evil right in its tracks.

So far we all agree he would have stopped it if it was right in front of him. But why would it have to be right in front of him for him to act?

Bex

I think you are thinking too physically. I doubt Jesus would ever have gotten into a physical altercation, rather, since He's God, He would simply cause something to stop the person who was beating the other person. Like make him go blind or something.

Now, if you ask what a person should do in that sitation, then I think the answer is to physically intervene and do your best to stop it.

I don't really have an answser to your other question, other than to say, we can't expect Jesus to intervene in every single thing that happens in the world.

Blog Entries
    About the same way He dealt with Cain.

I understand your point, but Jesus DID get physical in the temple! He turned tables over with his hands. He didn't make them all just fall over in thin air or make them all explode. He used his hands and his body, at least the way I undestand it.

He also used his hands a lot when he healed people. He actually touched them quite often. I think there are a lot of passages where it says, "he laid his hands on them" or something close to that.

But even if you are right and Jesus would have used some other means, like making the evil person blind or making the evil person explode or making the evil person freeze in his tracks or something, I'm still not aware of any of that being recorded in the Bible either.

Its just confusing to me the more I think about it. I mean, He was God in the flesh. He healed people and he taught people, but He didn't physically stop any evil from taking place.

Bex

Quote Originally Posted by BrckBrln View Post
    I think you are thinking too physically. I doubt Jesus would ever have gotten into a physical altercation, rather, since He's God, He would simply cause something to stop the person who was beating the other person. Like make him go blind or something.

Now, if you ask what a person should do in that sitation, then I think the answer is to physically intervene and do your best to stop it.

I don't really have an answser to your other question, other than to say, we can't expect Jesus to intervene in every single thing that happens in the world.

Just thinking out loud here...

Jesus DID interfere with evil physically, at the cross, and he triumphed over evil with the empty tomb.

That's not how he was expected to deal with evil; it's not how I would have done it (I'd prefer a more ego-centered, superhero style); but it's how he did it, and it was perfect...

Blog Entries
    The cross is how He dealt with death.

Revelation describes how He will deal with evil.

Hmm, OK. Thanks Keck. I was just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Esperanza32 View Post

Jesus DID interfere with evil physically, at the cross, and he triumphed over evil with the empty tomb.

That's not how he was expected to deal with evil; it's not how I would have done it (I'd prefer a more ego-centered, superhero style); but it's how he did it, and it was perfect...

and this Triumph on the Cross was a Spiritual Victory..His Physical Death... resulted in a Spiritual Victory.. because He overcame.. Perfectly.. and thru His own Physical death he took away the power of the one who had the power of death.. that is the devil.. and he took that authority and power from him.... the Jews wanted a 'physical saviour'.. a superhero like you talked about... one that would overthrow the Romans and restore the Nation of Isreal. Christ said His Kingdom was not of this world..

When the Stone rolled back on the Tomb of Jesus... God did that so that Man could look in and see the Victory... not so Jesus could look out..... the Grave could not hold Jesus... He had conquered Spiritually at the Cross.. with the Phyical Manifestation when He arose from the Grave.. this witnessed by His Disciples and those chosen.... those He appeared to before His Ascension into Heaven on the Clouds..
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Quote Originally Posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
    Again, I agree but the fact that Jesus never actually interfered physically kinda bothers me.

I mean, Jesus was fully human but also fully God. He knew everything! He knew everything that was going on around him. He knew what people were good and what people were bad. As he walked through towns he would have to had know about all the evil acts that were going on around him. Even if he couldn't "see" or "hear" them as a person, he would know about them because he was fully God.

As he walked through towns, there had to be times when Jesus knew a man in a building somewhere was slapping his wife or hurting a child or being cruel to a slave. Why do think Jesus did not interfere and stop some of these things? I'm not saying he should have acted like a super hero or something, its just that this was the ONE time God was going to walk on the earth among people. I guess, when I think about it, I sorta thought Jesus would have physically stopped more evil right in its tracks.

So far we all agree he would have stopped it if it was right in front of him. But why would it have to be right in front of him for him to act?

Bex
    I'm short on time, so I haven't read if anyone else has addressed this already.

We are seeing this from man's point of view. Why would Jesus have stopped the evil while He dwelt among us when He could have stopped all violence without ever stepping from His throne. Why is it any different that He walked among us or reigns over us? He could stop all violence right now, but we don't understand why He hasn't yet. His purpose was to defeat sin by His death and resurection. As much as we would like to add our own personalities to Jesus, the fact remains that even though He became a man, He still saw everything from God's perspective.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Esperanza32 View Post

Exactly....you got it.

What would be the point of Him going around stopping bad people from doing bad things like superman anyway? When we watch the super hero movies what one thing do they all have in common?

Their work never stops!

Its constant...yet inspite of all their efforts evil never stops...so what have they really changed? Stopping evil for a moment has little effect on all of mankind and little to no effect for the future doing it in the physical way.

Jesus came so people would be able to be free from their evil urges to hurt others and change inside. We can lock up most of mankind and still not stop people from hurting each other. The only lasting change comes from inside. Then that gift is spread from them to the next person and the next person and the next by spreading the gospel message. Then true and lasting change happens...

Jesus would have wasted His time running around trying to physical stop each bad act...instead He gave us all the gift to stop it ourselves through Him. Once someone is born again they aren't going around hurting others or doing evil things.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries
    How would Jesus deal with evil people committing horrible acts right in front of Him?

Mark 11:15-17 And they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves; And would not suffer that any man should carry any vessel through the temple. And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Thread Information