Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do angels have freewill?

Do angels have freewill?

I was having a chat with a non-christian friend and this question came up (not sure how we got onto it but hey!).

Angels obey God and are under His authority, but do they have freewill? If they don't then how come Satan chose to disobey God?

Thanks, Faith xox
    with Faith,
    xox

This is where I started

1Co 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

They obey by virtue of free will. Obviously, they don't have to.

davidharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findingmyfaith View Post
    I was having a chat with a non-christian friend and this question came up (not sure how we got onto it but hey!).

Angels obey God and are under His authority, but do they have freewill? If they don't then how come Satan chose to disobey God?

Thanks, Faith xox

no, the angels know nothing about salvation or free will. they move only by the will or command of the Lord.

...and that's how we ended up with the devil and his little buddy's? What's this?

1Ti 5:21 I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.

Sure they have free will otherwise how will the fallen ones be judged?

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
    (Jude 1:6)
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Yes, they have free will, since if they only followed God's will that would mean God willed some of them to sin, which would mean we had an evil God, which isn't the case of course.

Now, their free will is different than ours in some ways I'm sure, but they do in fact have some form of free will.
    Last edited by MLC; Mar 21st 2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Typo
    While you are on this site, don't debate to win and prove yourself right, but discuss to learn and find truth, and to encourage through a humble spirit. God Bless

Ephesians 4:1-3
    As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Yes they have free will. They are not perfect as we see in Job

Job 15:14-16

14 "What is man, that he could be pure,
    or one born of woman, that he could be righteous?

15 If God places no trust in his holy ones,
    if even the heavens are not pure in his eyes,

16 how much less man, who is vile and corrupt,
    who drinks up evil like water!

They have let God down before, when they left thier first estate !

I don't know if they have free will now or not to be honest. They certainly did at one time.

At some point in time, satan and one third of the angels rebelled against God. To move from a state on non-rebellion to one of rebellion, one must make the choice to do so. And in fact satan and one third of the angels did through free will make that choice.

Further, two thirds chose not to rebel. It would be silly to think otherwise unless one thinks the other two thirds of the angels were unaware of the rebellion. Of course they were as were the other third, but they chose not to rebel.

Now I don't know, but it seems to me that at that point every angel exercised their free will and made their choice. However, unlike us, their choice was may have been final. We are not like them and they are not like us. We do not read of any other time of angels coming and going and changing sides or of leaving God except this one time alone.

So, did they have free will? The evidence is conclusive that they did - they chose. Do they still? Perhaps, but it seems to me to be moot either way now.

Yes, they have free will just as we do. The greatest gift of God is free will.

The reason God didn't destroy the devil immediately is because he wants his creation to worship him out of love and not fear.

Our whole human experience is a testimony to the universe of what happens when evil is allowed to bloom to its fullest expression. Once this occurs, and we don't know when it will happen, Jesus is coming back to bring the faithful home and put an end to this world of sin.

Another;
    1Co 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
    How can they be judged if they don't have choice?

i am just curious, some one give me scripture that says that there is free will. since this would solve many disputes among the osas and nosas and the calvinists.

i am just curious, some one give me scripture that says that there is no free will. since this would solve many disputes among the osas and nosas and the calvinists.

Yeah well, as fallen beings (without Christ) we, and I believe the fallen angels have free will. We freely will that which is according to our fallen nature and not according to God's will. (Please reread carefully before griping.)
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

What are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    The greatest gift of God is free will.
    So that's what John 3:16 really means?

'The greatest gift of God is free will'. How is that not free will worship? The greatest gift of God is His Son Jesus Christ and that is who I worship.

Thread Information