Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Daily Bible Study - Micah, Amos, Joel and Obediah

My Daily Bible Study - Micah, Amos, Joel and Obediah

Micah

Micah was warning Israel and Judah of God's impending Judgment for idolatry and injustice in society, about the same time as Isaiah and Amos - just before Assyria's invasion in 722BC. Micah also foresaw a descendant of king David, born in Bethlehem, who would establish God's Kingdom earth.

Micah 1

What did I learn of God? - He speaks to His people regarding His Displeasure with their behaviour. He will repeat the same warning prior to executing Judgment.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I take note of what God has said? to discuss it or act on it? I have some responsibility for sins that happen in my nation and community. Do I have a 'holier than thou' attitude to other people's actions? or realise I am not guiltless of the sins of the again which I live? Do I humble myself at the knowledge of Judgment to come?

What did I praise God for? - His Warnings.

What did I pray for? - Mercy.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Coming Judgment.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "People always have a choice between arrogance and humility, between proud independence and submission to God. The choice is to submit to God when He speaks to us through His Word, or submit bent over in shame as circumstances crush our pride. How wise to submit to God willingly, and let Him lift us up. How foolish to arrogantly resist God, and make him crush us."

Micah 2

What did I learn of God? - He repays those who have done evil with Evil; which does good to those who live to please Him. He regards as His enemy those who disobey His Word. He confronts. One day He will restore the remnant of His people who intend to follow Him. He forces us to look at our society with His eyes.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I make plans that displease the Lord? Do I covet what others have? Do I allow the Holy Spirit to control my words and actions? or do I allow ungodly spirits to control me? Do I imply God said something when He didn't? God's Words will do me good if I take them to heart and act on them.

What did I praise God for? - He never changes.

What did I pray for? - to always do what pleases Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's Promise to repay Evil for evil and restore Israel.

Micah 3

What did I learn of God? - He will not answer the prayers of those whose deeds He considers evil. He will not give Visions or speak to prophets who tell those who pay them what they want to hear instead of what He says. He fills those submitted to Him with His Justice and Power to proclaim the Sins of their countrymen, where 'justice' is influenced by bribes and priests and prophets say what those who pay them want to hear while claiming to depend on the Lord.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I treat people, in general, as of no account? Do I allow folk to think I am relaying what God has said when He hasn't spoken to me? Do I misrepresent what the Lord has said? Has God filled me with the Power of His Spirit to proclaim His Truth? Do I judge, teach or prophecy for my own advantage? Am I motivated by selfish concerns, pride of position or passion for power? I cannot count on God to help me if my lifestyle is Sinful, only that He will bring me to disaster.

What did I praise God for? - the Power of His Spirit.

What did I pray for? - to represent His Word accurately.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Wicked leaders lead a nation to ruin.

Micah 4

What did I learn of God? - He will be sought in the latter days by many peoples who will want to learn His Ways. He will Judge and rebuke many nations. Wars against His people will cease. When they truly worship Him He will reign over them forever from Jerusalem, He allows nations to gather together against His people - not to be victors, but to be beaten like threshed grain.

What did I learn of myself?
    - Do I truly worship the Lord and seek to know more of Him and His Ways? Do I pray for Godly government so my nation will escape a severe sentence when the Lord Judges the nations? Is my affliction from the Lord? or because of original Sin? Have I accepted the Redemption He offers? Have I submitted all I have and am to the Lord?

What did I praise God for? – His Patience with the world He Created.

What did I pray for? - to be faithful in prayer for Godly government in my nation.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the Lord will reign in Zion.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Terrible things do happen in this world, caused by selfish and greedy men and women. But it was not meant to be like this. And it will not be like this . . . The people of God will be scattered. But when God's Time comes they will be reassembled . . . He who punishes will Bless. However dark a present experience, bright daylight lies ahead."

Micah 5

What did I learn of God? - Prophecy that 'One from the days of Eternity' (Christ) would be born in Bethlehem, to be Ruler and Shepherd of His people in the Strength and Majesty of God, and He would be the source of Peace. He will enable His people to stand up to their foes and all their enemies will be destroyed. He will take vengeance on all nations that refuse to obey Him. He will put an end to idolatry, fortune tellers and witchcraft.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I always obey the Lord? Do I worship anything other than Him?

What did I praise God for? - Christ has been born in Bethlehem, and He is the source of Peace with God (as Micah prophesied 700 years earlier) and one day His Greatness will be acknowledged everywhere.

What did I pray for? - to be able to see all my difficulties as Blessings.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Prophecy concerning the Jewish Messiah.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "the multiplication of Jewish people would have been curtailed by the limited size of the land and their powerful enemies . . . But scattered throughout the world (they) grew to a vast number . . . 1 in 10 in the Roman empire was a Jew; and in the Parthian kingdom . . . may have been as great as 1 in 5. . . Even God's punishments are intended to Bless . . . even through suffering God intends to do us good."

Micah 6

What did I learn of God? - He has provided prophets to enable His Righteousness to be known. He requires His people to always be just, merciful, and obedient to Him. He will punish his people's injustice. He allows Sin to accuse sickness and hunger. He is always faithful to His people. He is not satisfied with external religion, only satisfied with wholehearted worship.

What did I learn of myself? - Does the Lord have anything about me to complain about? What am I going to do about it? Have I allowed the Lord to Redeem me? To please the Lord I must be just, merciful, and respond wholeheartedly to the Will of Him, my King. Do I live by human ideas or God's Word? Do I worship other gods? If God and I are not close it is because I have moved, not Him. Do I practice a religion of ritual? Is my worship of the Lord wholehearted? Do I respond wholeheartedly to the Will of my King?

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness and Righteousness.

What did I pray for? - to heed His quietest whisper and obey Him wholeheartedly.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's people will be punished for their injustice.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "You and I may never make the list of Christian 'greats' here on earth. but far more important than that is to be found in the role of those citizens of God's Kingdom who respond wholeheartedly to the Will of our King, and show it in a simple lifestyle of justice, mercy and humility."

Micah 7

What did I learn of God? - He heeds those faithful to Him. He offers Salvation to those who adhere to His conditions. He will punish those unfaithful to Him. He is willing to Guide. He is Righteous. He is the Shepherd of His people. He forgives His repentant people. His Anger has an end. He is Loving, Kind, Merciful and Compassionate. He offers Truth.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I faithful to the Lord? Am I honest in all I do? Am I trustworthy? I need fellowship with, and mutual support of, other Christians who share my commitment to the Lord. Do I trust the Lord to Save me? Do I fulfill His Conditions to receive His pardon? Do I follow Him and His Ways? Have I repented all my Sin? Do I recognise His Righteousness? The Lord Guides me - do I heed Him? The Lord encourages me to be faithful to Him in every way - am I? Do I always remember His Sovereignty and Power?

What did I praise God for? - His Compassion, Mercy and Trustworthiness.

What did I pray for? - that those who don't yet know Him to recognise His Sovereignty and Power.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Israel's Sins, which God will Forgive when they confess them to Him.

Amos 1

Note:-I understand Amos says he’s a ‘noqed’ (wealthy landowner) who cared for sheep. He prophesied when the wealthy in the nation ‘never had it so good’; but hypocritical religiosity had replaced true worship and nothing turned their hearts to God.

What did I learn of God? - there is an end to His Patience regarding His people’s Sin. He regards justice, not wealth, the indicator of a nation’s spiritual health. He condemns worship that mixes worshipping Him with Paganism. He often sends folk to others in ‘their’ financial and social strata of society to help them to understand their need of God, as they are more likely to be listened to

What did I learn of Myself? – Does God send me to folk in ‘my’ financial and social strata of society to help them to understand their need of Jesus? Do I constantly repeat Sins with no true repentance? Do I realise I, too, may be guilty of faults/Sins I condemn others for? Do I agree Sins and failings should be Judged? mine as well as other folk’s? Does the concern I express for others demonstrate the Love and Justice of God?

What did I praise God for? – that though I deserve Judgement, Jesus has already paid my penalty.

What did I pray for? – to help others to know Jesus Christ, not condemn them.

What does this say in one sentence? –God’s Judgment on the nations.

Amos 2

What did I learn of God? - He regards continual unrepented Sin as despising Him and defiling His Name; so a time will come when He won’t put up with it any longer, but will punish the perpetrators. He removes human power when it suits Him. He cares for, provides for, and teaches those who are faithful to Him. Disobedience from His people will encourage Him to discipline them.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I allow myself to be led from the Lord by believing lies? Do I try to take advantage of God’s Loving nature too often? Am I in danger of His harsh discipline? Do I use all my resources in ways that honour the Lord? Do I take unGodly advantage of others? Has my degree of prosperity stopped me considering being humanitarian and pleasing God of prime importance? Have I replaced ‘trusting God’ with ‘secular religion’ – of ritual without reality? Is it to quieten my conscience or a real commitment of my relationship with Jesus? Does love for people or ‘things’ motivate me? Do I ridicule, ignore, or adhere to, God’s moral standards? What matters is what God knows of my heart and actions, not what others think of me.

What did I praise God for? – giving all people adequate time to repent Sin before punishing/disciplining them.

What did I pray for? – that I instantly recognise when my repentance is required.

What does this say in one sentence? – God has acted in the past for the good of His people.

Quote:- (William Temple) “There is no hope of establishing a more Christian order except through the labour and sacrifice of those in whom the Spirit of Christi is active, and the first necessity for progress is more and better Christians taking full responsibility as citizens for the political, social and economic system under which they and their fellows live.”

Amos 3

What did I learn of God? - He expects us to heed what He has said. He will not be with those who don’t agree with Him. If His people experience a calamity it will be His Discipline for their Sin, which He has repeatedly warned them about , through His prophets. His prophets must proclaim messages He gives to the people. When He punishes His people He will also punish whose who worship false gods.

What did I learn of Myself? - Because God knows me He will discipline me when necessary. God will not be with me unless I agree with Him (not the other way round). If I disregard the Lord I can expect calamity to befall me; do I heed what He says to me, either directly or through others? Relationship with God has responsibilities as well as privileges.

What did I praise God for? – Loving me enough to Discipline me when necessary.

What did I pray for? – to learn from, and never forget the reasons for, His Disciplines.

What does this say in one sentence? – God punishes Sin; His genuine prophets speak with His Authority, and every cause has an effect.

Amos 4

What did I learn of God? –He is Holy. He inflicts His wayward people with all kinds of difficulty and loss, to encourage them to turn back to Him; but if they refuse to, they are responsible for the sentence He will pass on them. He formed mountains. He rules the wind and sun. Nothing man-made is a defence against Him. He speaks to mankind.

What did I learn of Myself? – – Do I help or oppress those who are poor? Do I crush those in need? If I benefit from injustice I am as guilty of it as the perpetrators. Do I try to drown out difficulties with alcohol or drugs? Do I worship ’other gods’ but make it appear to others that I worship Almighty God? Do I listen to, and obey, God? Do I worship God in the way He wants to be worshipped? Or the way I want to worship Him? Do I attend church meetings primarily to see, and be seen, or to worship God? Do I only turn to God when I am suffering?

What did I praise God for? – being consistent.

What did I pray for?- to hear, recognise, and act on His slightest whisper.

What does this say in one sentence? – Israel took no notice of God so will suffer the consequences.

Amos 5

What did I learn of God? - He is the Lord. He Calls His people to repentance. He offers Life to those who seek Him. He wants His people to act with justice and righteousness. He enables His people’s benefits, and is equally capable of destroying them, (eg. if wealth is acquired by unrighteous means). He is with those who love good and hate evil. The ’Day of the Lord’ will be terrible for those who don’t live to please Him. He looks for justice and righteousness and is not pleased with a show of sacrifice from those whose hearts are far from Him, worshipping idols of any sort.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I seek to know God and please Him? Or succumb to peer-pressure? I must expect to be despised and abused by those who are ‘Christian’ in name only. Do I benefit from unethical businesses? Will the day Jesus Christ returns be a joy to me? Or will it be terrible when He points out my unrepented Sin? Are my values the same as God’s? Do I always act with justice and righteousness? Do I welcome suffering that draws me closer to the Lord? Do I take a stand against Evil in society?

What did I praise God for? – Judging His people by the true desire of their hearts.

What did I pray for? - to know if there is anything in my life that displeases God, and His Strength to correct it.

What does this say in one sentence? – Repent of all un-Godliness to live a just and righteous life.

Amos 5

What did I learn of God? - He is the Lord. He Calls His people to repentance. He offers Life to those who seek Him. He wants His people to act with justice and righteousness. He enables His people’s benefits, and is equally capable of destroying them, (eg. if wealth is acquired by unrighteous means). He is with those who love good and hate evil. The ’Day of the Lord’ will be terrible for those who don’t live to please Him. He looks for justice and righteousness and is not pleased with a show of sacrifice from those whose hearts are far from Him, worshipping idols of any sort.

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I seek to know God and please Him? Or succumb to peer-pressure? I must expect to be despised and abused by those who are ‘Christian’ in name only. Do I benefit from unethical businesses? Will the day Jesus Christ returns be a joy to me? Or will it be terrible when He points out my unrepented Sin? Are my values the same as God’s? Do I always act with justice and righteousness? Do I welcome suffering that draws me closer to the Lord? Do I take a stand against Evil in society?

What did I praise God for? – Judging His people by the true desire of their hearts.

What did I pray for? - to know if there is anything in my life that displeases God, and His Strength to correct it.

What does this say in one sentence? – Repent of all un-Godliness to live a just and righteous life.

Amos 7

What did I learn of God? – He wants His people to understand the seriousness of Sin and it’s consequences; He encourages them to pray for the Salvation He wants to give. He may Call one of His faithful people to leave home and family to serve him in difficult circumstances. Is He using His plumb-line in His Church in my nation? He Judges those who condemn those of His servants who give His Message. He may postpone Judgement when His people pray, but it will certainly come. . . will it’s severity of retribution be in relation to the number of warnings given and rejected?

What did I learn of Myself? – Do I speak as the Lord directs regardless of the consequences? Do I see His plumb-line in the Church? Do I speak against what is unbiblical and pray for His Mercy? Is the church I attend devoted to maintaining the social and denominational status-quo, or challenging evils in the Church and nation? Do I make a stand against wrongs in the local and national Church? Or do I go along with them?

What did I praise God for? – that He gives ample warnings before executing His Judgment on His erring people.

What did I pray for? – that His whole Church will repent and return to Him. And that I will always do and say what pleases Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – God’s plumb-line and Judgement.

Quote:- (John Wesley)
    “Making an open stand against all the unGodliness and unrighteousness which overspreads our land is one of the noblest ways of confessing Christ in the face of His enemies.”

Amos 8

What did I learn of God? - He speaks through Visions (it is important to obtain His interpretation of them, not anyone else’s). He Judges idolatry, including greed, among His people, when He does those responsible will suffer. He controls the elements, including making the sun dark. If His people refuse to listen to Him He will usually stop speaking to them.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I willing to learn more of God and what He requires of me? Do I challenge the un-Godliness in society? Do I (without realising it) worship idols eg. money? TV? a personality? Am I totally honest in every way? Am I greedy? Do I ever deceive anyone? even unintentionally? Do I half-listen to what someone says and deceive myself? Would I be pleased if all my thoughts and actions were revealed to everyone on TV? Do I listen to, and act on, everything God says?

What did I praise God for? - His Word, Visions and insistence that His people act with justice.

What did I pray for? - to always hear, and act on, His quietest whisper.

What does this say in one sentence? - Vision, and meaning, of summer fruits.

Thread Information