Thread: Jehovah's Witnesses question

Jehovah's Witnesses question

After getting a visit from a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses people this week it got me thinking about why they get such a bad reputation.

This bad reputation might just be in my own area or negative views that people have pushed on me over the years. They seemed like nice enough people that called at my door.

If you have any views on what is different about their believes, or anything about them feel free to air them. I am not about to change my church but I am curious about what is different about them.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Jehova's Witnesses do not believe that Jesus is God. They disagree with Scripture when it's too complicated to understand, hence their rejection of the Trinity and the deity of Christ in particular.

They believe that they are the remnant of Jews that will be saved (despite the fact that most of them are gentiles). They have no confidence that Christ saves them as a free gift of love... they think they have to earn their salvation. So in that respect they are no different from any other religion, but very different from true Christianity.

They do not believe in giving to charity, though I can't remember what Scripture they cite. I noticed this particularly when I was on a mission trip to South Africa. It was obvious that all the charity work was being done by the Christian church. The JWs were going to Christians, making them doubt their salvation, and not even helping them with physical things, like purchasing clothes for children, or running soup kitchens. Given the poverty in the area, that was quite shocking.

When they celebrate the last supper, once a year, only some super elite are allowed to partake. Everyone else watches from a distance.

Their version of the Bible has so many mistakes in it that I can only assume it was mistranslated deliberately. For example, even three words into the book of Revelation, they have mistranslated.

All of their mistranslations are designed to diminish the deity of Christ.

This is spiritually a very dangerous thing.

Jehova's Witnesses may very well be nice people. But they don't know Jesus, unfortunately.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Without getting into too many negative comments - I mixed with them for 2 years while new in faith, as well as attending churches.

Firstly if they obey the majority of the bible, they are bound to be good people. (in the world's view of 'good', because the bible says that we are all sinners/ bad). They also for quite a long time seemed very honest and open to me. Bt this turned out to all be lies.

Secondly - they are not Christian. They don't want to be looked on as Christian, and they believe all churches/ Christian denominations are evil/ from satan, Babylon the Great from Revelations. So if you see them again it would be a good question to keep asking until they stop avoiding it and actually answer you straight. That will save you a LOT of time.

Thirdly, don't fall for the this is just a modern translation of the bible. It isn't, it's their mis translation of the bible and that's why all mainstream churches agree and why the JW's believe differently. Their bible is just translated very badly in places.

Fourthly - their study/ conversion talk is brain washing in my opinion. Read a paragraph, answer the question from that paragraph. At first answer in the same words in the sentence, after awhile read the sentence and change the words slightly. But don't dare think!

There meetings are the same, and house studies. Read the magazine article. Stick your hand up, answer from what you have just read.

Luckily I had too many questions, and want to think independantly all the time of multiple answers to questions. I can go along with a line of arguement in my mind, while still holding my thinking alongside to compare. I've met many people who can't do this and it's a real danger if they are sucked into these meetings, because the thoughts on the page gradually become their thoughts and they don't even realise it.

They are a danger to non believers and new christians who don't know their bible well. They can seem impressive in hold they flick back and forth. However once you get to know them, they are mainly good in the questions they are always asked - like on 'blood' or who Jesus really is.

There meeting include how to deal with every situation and question. They role play.

My advice is don't accept one of their bibles - there are many great bibles in the shops/ on line or we can recommend too many to count! Infact don't speak to them again if you already have a church! Their meeting places are called Kingdom Halls - they don't have churches. Please avoid these places. And don't accept invites to bible study at their houses.

Find a bible group at a local church. Do an Alpha course. If after 11 years as a Christian, I can do an Alpha course on the basics, so can you. In safety ask mature christians/ church ministers, elders etc about why the JW's are a dangerous non christian group. Love SofTy.
    1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Blog Entries
    i reccomend reaserching CT Russel. he's not trustworthy, by any stretch of the imagination. and i won't base the future of my soul on someone like him.
    Last edited by ilovemetal; Mar 19th 2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: changed

Thanks for your view.
    Don't worry I am not easily taken in and I am not about to change my faith, but I didn't know much about them and I like to be well informed.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hey mortehoe,

I basically agree with what is written. Their adherents generally are very good people. Their Bible is terrible. The translators aren't as honesty as many of the adherents may be. The adherents are honestly deceived. The translators had to deliberately manipulate the text at many points. This is so well documented by both Christian and even non-Christians scholars who know the biblical languages.

I think there is nothing wrong with admitting they're decent people. I think it's also important to acknowledge where their beliefs are correct. But some of their differences change the essential doctrines of the Christian faith. Well, if you change core doctrine, can you really be called "Christian"? I don't think you can honestly.

I know this response is basically generic and the others have too. Feel free to ask questions about more specific aspects if it will help.

Grace & peace,

Joe

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mortehoe View Post
    After getting a visit from a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses people this week it got me thinking about why they get such a bad reputation.

This bad reputation might just be in my own area or negative views that people have pushed on me over the years. They seemed like nice enough people that called at my door.

If you have any views on what is different about their believes, or anything about them feel free to air them. I am not about to change my church but I am curious about what is different about them.

Thanks
    The Jehovah's Witnesses I've met seem like nice people but if you want to know about them you should research the Watchtower, the New World Translation, 1914 and the WT's prophecies, theocratic warfare as well as the JW beliefs. Here is a website that will help you - http://4witness.org/jw_topics.php

Here is a list of some ofwhat JW's believe as listed on the WT's website. One thing not listed there is they don't believe the Holy Spirit is a person but is God's active force (see Gen. 1:2, NWT)

WHAT JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES BELIEVE

Belief Scriptural Reason Bible is God's Word and is truth

Bible is more reliable than tradition

God's name is Jehovah

Christ is God's Son and is inferior to Him

Christ was first of God's creations

Christ died on a stake, not a cross

Christ's human life was paid as a ransom for obedient humans

Christ's one sacrifice was sufficient

Christ was raised from the dead as an immortal spirit person

Christ's presence is in spirit

We are now in the 'time of the end'

Kingdom under Christ will rule earth in righteousness and peace

Kingdom will bring ideal living conditions to earth

Earth will never be destroyed or depopulated

God will eliminate present system of things in the battle at Har-Magedon

Wicked will be eternally destroyed

People God approves will receive everlasting life

There is only one road to life

Human death is due to Adam's sin

The human soul ceases to exist at death

Hell is mankind's common grave

Hope for dead is resurrection

Adamic death will cease

Only a little flock of 144,000 go to heaven and rule with Christ

The 144,000 are born again as spiritual sons of God

New covenant is made with spiritual Israel

Christ's congregation is built upon himself

Prayers are to be directed only to Jehovah through Christ

Images should not be used in worship

Spiritism must be shunned

Satan is invisible ruler of world

A Christian ought to have no part in interfaith movements

A Christian should keep separate from world

Obey human laws that do not conflict with God's laws

Taking blood into body through mouth or veins violates God's laws

Bible's laws on morals must be obeyed

Sabbath observance was given only to Israel and ended with Mosaic Law

A clergy class and special titles are improper

Man did not evolve but was created

Christ set example that must be followed in serving God

Baptism by complete immersion symbolizes dedication

Christians gladly give public testimony to Scriptural truth

Question about the Watchtower

If you are going to have discussions with Jehovah's Witnesses it comes down to the organization or the bible. JW's may be quick to defend the organization so I suggest being nice to them without sugar coating the truth, keeping in mind that most JW's didn't know much about the organization when they became JW's. Here are two of my favorite topics to discuss with them; the first about the organization:

Do we have Scriptural precedent for taking such a strict position? Indeed we do! Paul wrote about some in his day: "Their word will spread like gangrene. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of that number. These very men have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred; and they are subverting the faith of some." (2 Timothy 2:17, 18; see also Matthew 18:6.) There is nothing to indicate that these men did not believe in God, in the Bible, in Jesus' sacrifice. Yet, on this one basic point, what they were teaching as to the time of the resurrection, Paul rightly branded them as apostates, with whom faithful Christians would not fellowship.
    (Watchtower, April 1, 1986 pp. 30-31 - Questions From Readers)
    Russell taught that the resurrection occurred in 1878 and the WT has inadvertently branded him as an apostate. In 1919, when the WT says Jesus appointed them as the FDS, they were teaching that the resurrection happened in 1878 and not 1918. They have labeled themselves as apostates at the very time they say that Jesus chose them out of all the world's religions!

So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. (Matthew 24:44-50, NIV)

The WT says they were in Bablyonish captivity in 1914 so how could they be doing his will if he returned that year? In 1919 the WT was teaching that Jesus returned invisibly in 1874 so, if he came in 1914, it was on a day they did not expect him and at an hour of which they were not aware.

Questions about Jesus' Resurrection for JW's

The Watchtower says that God disposed of Jesus' body while it was in the tomb preventing it from becoming a stumbling block to faith (1) and if the body had been left in the tomb his disciples could not have understood that he had been raised from the dead, since at that time they did not fully appreciate spiritual things (2). They also said in order to convince Thomas of who He was, He used a body with wound holes (3).

Thomas said he wouldn't believe that Jesus was raised from the dead unless he saw the nail marks in his hands, put his finger where the nails were and put his hand into his side (John 20:25). The next time Jesus appeared he said to Thomas "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe" (John 20:27). When Thomas believed that was Jesus alive he said "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" (John 20:29).

When Thomas saw Jesus did he believe Jesus had been raised from the dead in his own body?

Is Christendom's teaching that Jesus rose from the dead in his own body a lie?

If we believe what Thomas believed are we teaching a lie and, if so, how can we be blessed for both believing and teaching this?

"Don't be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. (Mark 16:6, NIV)

When the women told the disciples they had seen the Lord after the resurrection did they believe it was a materialization?

Would they have understand that Jesus was raised from the dead or materialized in a different body?

The chief priests and Pharisees were concerned that the disciples would steal Jesus' body then tell people that he had been risen from the dead and if that had happened it would have been a deception. (Matt. 27:63-64)

Did the chief priests and Pharisees believe someone who was resurrected from the dead was raised in their own body?

If God the Father removed Jesus' body from the tomb and Jesus materialized in various bodies to make his disciples believe he had risen from the dead how is it any different than what the Pharisees were trying to prevent?

1) Watchtower, November 15, 1991, p. 3

2) You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth, p. 144

3) You Can Live Forever In Paradise on Earth, p. 145

Acts 1:3 says Jesus gave many positive proofs (NWT) that he had been raised from the dead. If the disciples thought they at first were seeing a demon (which some JW's have said; see Luke 24:37), found out that Jesus was raised a spirit creature on the day of Pentecost how could they have been sure that it wasn't a demon masquerading as Jesus in the first place???

JW's believe a person is a soul and their spirit is their life-force which is recorded in Jehovah's memory. Thay also say that God disposed of Jesus' body and he was out of existence until his resurrection. Ask JW's what part of Jesus was raised from the dead? Ask them from what place was Jesus raised and if Jesus was raised a spirit creature why the stone had to be rolled away from the tomb?

I came across this you tube video who show how they have change passages of the Bible to suit them-selves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIjqVO4_i1U

djh22 Guest
    Ohh - don't be such spoil sports you lot, I think they're great fun to talk to and so easy to tie up in knots, poor dears.Let a wind chime ring and they'll run miles. Lol.
    As the Cornish comedian Jethro said -
    A Jehovah's witness asked me If I would be a Jehovah's witness. I said " No, I didn't even see the accident".

Lol.

djh22.

Blog Entries
    Closing this thread as the OP has changed his status and is going to join us in the believers' forums to fellowship with us and get his further questions answered.

Thread Information