Thread: Hell or Heaven vs Soul Cleansing then Heaven

Hell or Heaven vs Soul Cleansing then Heaven

(Correct me if I'm wrong) Christianity is based on the belief that if you commit any sin you automatically go to hell. Since no one's perfect religion should be based on faith instead of works. Since Jesus died for your sins all you have to do is believe in him and you get to go to heaven.

What if there was no hell? And every soul after they died went through a cleansing process? (I think this is called purgatory.) After this process, which took no longer than 12 months no matter what sin you committed, you get to go to heaven.

Would you still need Jesus?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jewess View Post
    (Correct me if I'm wrong) Christianity is based on the belief that if you commit any sin you automatically go to hell. Since no one's perfect religion should be based on faith instead of works. Since Jesus died for your sins all you have to do is believe in him and you get to go to heaven.

What if there was no hell? And every soul after they died went through a cleansing process? (I think this is called purgatory.) After this process, which took no longer than 12 months no matter what sin you committed, you get to go to heaven.

Would we "need" Jesus? You described a process that doesn't need Jesus. You have answered your own question.

I suppose that someone could say that Jesus was "needed" to setup such a system, but that "we" wouldn't necessarily need Him.

But honestly, what in the world is behind this question? We could come up with an endless number of "what if" hypothetical scenarios that exclude the necessity of Jesus, so what is the point of this particular one?

God Bless!
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

No, we wouldn't. If all souls are cleansed regardless of Christ's sacrifice, then we do not need Him.

No, we wouldn't. Just another reason I'm not a catholic...

That's what I figured. MODERATORS YOU CAN LOCK THIS THREAD.

If you insist. Closed as per OP's request.

Thread Information