View Poll Results: Is it sinful to remove wisdom teeth?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it is sinful; there are others who think so too

0 0%
  • I don't think it is sinful, nor have I ever heard others suggest that it is

29 96.67%
  • Some people suggest it is, but I don't agree with them

1 3.33%
  • No one suggested it is sinful, but now that you brought it up I think it is. Good point!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it sinful to have wisdom teeth removed

Is it sinful to have wisdom teeth removed

I know that tatoos and body piercing are sinful. I also heard that one proposed reason for this prohibition is that God wants to take your soul when you die the way it is, unaltered. Does this, then, apply to removal of wisdom teeth, since this is also permanent alteration to your body?

I am not sure if I am the first one who thought of that. Has anyone else suggested that it is sinful to remove wisdom teeth, and was there debate on this issue? What is your stand on it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    I know that tatoos and body piercing are sinful. I also heard that one proposed reason for this prohibition is that God wants to take your soul when you die the way it is, unaltered. Does this, then, apply to removal of wisdom teeth, since this is also permanent alteration to your body?

I am not sure if I am the first one who thought of that. Has anyone else suggested that it is sinful to remove wisdom teeth, and was there debate on this issue? What is your stand on it?
    First tattoos are not sinful. Second tattoos don't go on your soul. Since you won't be pulling your wisdom teeth, I'm guessing you don't shave, cut your hair or take a bath either?
    This Space For Rent

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    First tattoos are not sinful.
    I believe there is a verse in leviticus against tatoos. This, by the way, is also one of the arguments against microcip implant.

Learning submission to His will... again!
    i just wouldn't want a micro chip because it's creepy!!!
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
    Proverbs 3:5

My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.
    Isaiah 26:9

Blog Entries
    I believe there is a verse in leviticus against tatoos. This, by the way, is also one of the arguments against microcip implant.
    What it says is to not mark your body for the dead. My tattoos are merely art. No dead persons were considered. But I'll say no more. Don't want to derail thread or start an argument that will never end.

Peace.
    Last edited by -SEEKING-; May 14th 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added final comments
    This Space For Rent

Blog Entries
    There is, right here:

Lev 19:28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.

It comes right after this:

Lev 19:27 You shall not shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard.

So should we assume you won't be cutting your beard either?

As for pulling wisdom teeth, if they are causing problems take them out. If someone had a gangrenous foot would you deny them an amputation?
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

They why would your baby teeth fall out on their own? Does that mean the tooth fairy is actually an angel, and we'll be re-united with our teeth in Heaven?

Wisdom teeth aren't removed for the sake of removing them, but because they are causing trouble. So if removing the wisdom teeth is a sin, what about having a bad appendix, gall bladder or even a cancerous breast removed?

So what about Christian martyrs that were burned at the stake? Or drawn & quartered?

Huh? Where did you hear this? Or read this?
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi

Tattoos and piercings affect the skin, not the soul. Wisdom teeth is just a name for them, they don't actually contain your wisdom. And the Mosaic Law was given to the Jews, and the Jews only. Paul settled the question of whether non-Jewish Christians are supposed to follow it in Galatians. His answer was an unequivocal no.
    Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more
    You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting
    In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave
    Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan
    And there's a slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

Blog Entries
    The pagans in the OT that did body piecing, tattoos to honor their dead and their pagan gods...the law was made so the Hebrews wouldn't be influenced do fall into pagan god worshiping...so as long as you don't do these things to honor a pagan god you are ok....

Wisdom teeth are only pulled because for most people their mouths simply aren't big enough and they get impacted which means they get stuck on the moral next to it and can't come up all the way and they get infected. The pain is horrible! I know as its happened to me before. Here you have a tooth trying to force its way up but can't..is pushing against another tooth causing it pain...you can't chew on that side of your mouth. It swells up..the whole side of your face swells up from the infection. If left untreated you will slowly starve while the infection spreads to your jaw, through your face and possibly to your brain. Sounds like a lovely way to die, er? The only question would be would you die first of starvation or from the infection?

So people do NOT have an option on this. Very few have enough room in their mouth for these extra morals..if they do then of course there is no reason to pull them if they aren't causing problems. If we all thought like you...none of us would live to see age 30...

And of course ..there isn't a thing in the bible about this..nothing says its a sin to have your wisdom teeth pulled...so don't worry about it.

You are the first person I have ever heard that thought this by the way...its certainly not a common idea by any means.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Prufrock Guest

Please understand that I respect and revere you as my brother in Christ, and that I am answering your question in charity.

I think that the question is preposterous. To say that any alteration to the body is sinful would rule out the following for Christians:

1. Appendectomies

Cosmetic surgery (rhinoplasty, etc.)

3. Caesarean sections

4. Gall bladder removal

5. Hysterectomies

6. Removal of cancerous body parts, as in mastectomy

The list could go on and on. The point is this: God is not weird, although some Christians seem to think that He is. He has gone to the very greatest of lengths, in sacrificing His beloved Son, to deliver us from the curse of the Law. And yet, not only do some professing Christians say that we must keep the Law (as in the tattoo issue), they (not you, Arkady) go even further, binding grievous burdens on their fellow Christians that are nowhere to be found in scripture.

I'll say it again, and probably say it many times more: God is not weird. He's certainly not the unreasoning, capricious Taskmaster that the Judaizers would have us believe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
    Please understand that I respect and revere you as my brother in Christ, and that I am answering your question in charity.

I think that the question is preposterous. To say that any alteration to the body is sinful would rule out the following for Christians:

1. Appendectomies

Cosmetic surgery (rhinoplasty, etc.)

3. Caesarean sections

4. Gall bladder removal

5. Hysterectomies

6. Removal of cancerous body parts, as in mastectomy

The list could go on and on. The point is this: God is not weird, although some Christians seem to think that He is. He has gone to the very greatest of lengths, in sacrificing His beloved Son, to deliver us from the curse of the Law. And yet, not only do some professing Christians say that we must keep the Law (as in the tattoo issue), they (not you, Arkady) go even further, binding grievous burdens on their fellow Christians that are nowhere to be found in scripture.

I'll say it again, and probably say it many times more: God is not weird. He's certainly not the unreasoning, capricious Taskmaster that the Judaizers would have us believe.
    Agreed...plus things we have put in our bodies to survive...pace makers, pins to hold broken bones together, filling in our teeth for cavities, etc, etc...

Alot to consider when thinking we can't add or take away from our bodies. I seriously doubt few people except those that died young, died without something added or removed from their bodies.

The fact is Arkady our bodies are very imperfect because we were born into a sin filled world. God of course didn't start things out this way...He started out with two perfect human beings, but when they sinned, it changed everything...including us no longer having perfect bodies. One day the Lord though will give us perfect bodies that cannot die nor suffer from disease or anything else...

Romans 8:22-24

22 For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

I asked a guy at work today about this, and he's been a Chistian as long as I've been alive. He's never heard of this belief about wisdom teeth, and he couldn't even think of a Scripture passage that would even come close to being interpreted this way.

All joking aside (I really liked the bouncing smiley in my last post) where did this come up?

Edit: Back in the 70s and 80s, when my sisters began college, it was REQUIRED that their wisdom teeth were pulled before showing up as a freshman, whether the teeth had grown out of their gumline or not.
    Last edited by scottinnj; May 16th 2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Adding a thought

Thread Information