Thread: Was all of Paul's work in Ephesus for nothing?

Blog Entries

Was all of Paul's work in Ephesus for nothing?

My pastor and other members of the church are on a mission trip there because that area has been overtaken by Muslims. We watched a video he made of himself and the group last night at church that he emailed so we could see it (they are still there). While he was talking we could hear the Muslim call to prayer...which he told us what that was. He said there was ONE Christian there...a shop keeper that asked if one other believer could come once a week with a bible and they could share the word together...that would be their 'church'...since there is no Christian churches there for him to go too. (please keep this man in your prayers). He reminded us how blessed we are to have churches to go to here and have so many believers to worship with. This shop keeper has no one to fellowship with.

The whole thing just really surprised me. Many months ago I was reading all through Paul's travels in the bible and using maps and had read up on the city Ephesus and the pagan gods they used to worship but nothing I read gave me any idea that this was mostly a Muslims country now. The bible says the word will not come back void. Meaning fruits will come from it. Seems like the fruits all went sour there. I don't understand this. Was all of Paul's work and literal sacrifice in that area for nothing?cry: I am very confused about this...

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

The word did not come back void, evidently seen in the book of Ephesians.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    The word did not come back void, evidently seen in the book of Ephesians.
    Ok then why are all the people there now, Muslims? That is what I don't understand.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Do you sow once and get a perpetual crop? No. The seed sown by Paul produced fruit. Now your church is there and may the word again produce fruit.

Ephesus was corrupted (leaven) by Rome and was destroyed by earthquake.
    Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
    Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Do you sow once and get a perpetual crop? No. The seed sown by Paul produced fruit. Now your church is there and may the word again produce fruit.

Ephesus was corrupted (leaven) by Rome and was destroyed by earthquake.
    Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
    Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

I think what came out of most of Paul's journeys was two fold: !) it established the teaching of the New Covenant among the Gentiles, and that teaching, that opening up of the Mystery of Christ is what Paul was really sent for, we have that witness in all of this letters in the New Testament writings, 2) If you read acts, and his letters, Paul did some teaching to the Jews, who mainly rejected the Gospel and faced the consequences of that action Acts 28 chronicles the finality of that judgment when the Jews at Rome turned away from the Gospel message. Paul's work at Ephesus, as at Thessalonica, and the Galatian churches, established seed that was spread throughout all the world and down through time to us in the form of the New Testament writings......
    God happens!
    'I Can Only Imagine'

Bless the Beasts and the Children:
    http://youtu.be/AhR36gV6vW4

On cautionary note:
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter
    When they say something... it is about anyone's guess what it is they really mean... but NEVER ask for clarification of their mysterious language... they are often very happy to give it and that's when the discussion goes FREAKY!

I agree! Seed reproduces after itself. Seed can be harvested and planted in another location, it can die if sown on bad ground, and it can die where it has grown if the ground becomes hard and/or there is no 'rain'.

The finality of Isa 55:11 is about Israel's restoration, not Ephesus.

Blog Entries
    Ok thanks...I guess I hadn't followed through far enough on my studies on Ephesus and totally forgot about what was said to them in Revelation..

5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.

Apparently their lampstand was removed... Also when I read up on Ephesus I was only studying the time Paul was in and didn't go further with it as their history progressed...guess I need to do that now... I was involved in reading about the culture at the time and the type of gods they worshiped in order to understand better what Paul and the others were up against.

Thanks Sirus and slightlypuzzled.

God bless

Thread Information