Thread: ~*JUICE! To GIVE or Not to GIVE? *~

Blog Entries

Question ~*JUICE! To GIVE or Not to GIVE? *~

Hi Ladies,

My toddler gets 3 servings of fruits daily, it's actually more like a fruit smoothie. We make one full glass and separate it for breakfy, lunch and dinner.

What's puree'd:
    Apples
    Oranges
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Banana
    Almonds
    Walnuts
    -and sometimes plums

I feel he gets more than enough nutrients from fruits in a day and was wondering if I should still be giving him juice? Apple juice, Orange Juice, Pomegranate etc.

Forgot to ask my pediatrician at my last visit but will be doing so on the next!

Blog Entries
    I would say he is getting plenty actually. The thing is with juice...which we tend to think it good for kids, is its loaded with processed sugar and dyes! Dyes, especially red dye 40, can cause kids to get hyper and have other behavioral problems...I found this out the hard way with my son. Red dye is in nearly everything geared towards children...their vitamins, over the counter medication, even in liquid antibiotics for young children...not too mention cereal and TV dinners for little ones, and on and on and on. Even in grape juice which you would think would need no dyes! Makes me so mad. grrrrrrr.

Fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, fresh everything is the best way to go! I would give him water...nice cold water. I love water...its one of God's best inventions. lol.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    The thing is with juice...which we tend to think it good for kids, is its loaded with processed sugar and dyes
    That's another objection I had for juices is the sugar content. Bad for them and bad for their teeth!

Fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, fresh everything is the best way to go! I would give him water...nice cold water. I love water...its one of God's best inventions. lol.
    +1 on the h20 It's by far my favorite drink to quench my thirst! Although it's scary with all the things that are being contaminated out there these days, even bottled water!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sedux View Post
    That's another objection I had for juices is the sugar content. Bad for them and bad for their teeth!

+1 on the h20 It's by far my favorite drink to quench my thirst! Although it's scary with all the things that are being contaminated out there these days, even bottled water!
    Well that is true... Seems like nothing is truly safe to consume anymore....

We use bottled water and now they are wanting that labeled to say what might be in it! And how its processed...ugh...but our city water is just so gross...blah.
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

I agree with Moonglow. Most children need more water and less juice. Especially if they are eating a balanced diet that would include whole fruits.
    I have taught preschool for several years. Most parents would say that their child won't drink water. You would be surprised how readily they will drink cold water and ask for more when that is what is offered.

Here is a link with some more info....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fruit-juice/AN01631

just say no to juice!

Blog Entries
    I, too, agree about the water. If a child is getting plenty of fruit, then water is the way to go.

Like I told my grandson, "water is our friend."
    Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Blog Entries
    When you find an organic juice you like, you can mix it with water. This may also cut down on diarrhea (one of the side effects of juice we had with our daughter at this age)
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

Blog Entries
    I would say he is getting plenty actually. The thing is with juice...which we tend to think it good for kids, is its loaded with processed sugar and dyes! Dyes, especially red dye 40, can cause kids to get hyper and have other behavioral problems...I found this out the hard way with my son. Red dye is in nearly everything geared towards children...their vitamins, over the counter medication, even in liquid antibiotics for young children...not too mention cereal and TV dinners for little ones, and on and on and on. Even in grape juice which you would think would need no dyes! Makes me so mad. grrrrrrr.

God bless
    Yep, to that I say Ditto.
    Per Hebrew 13:3 please "Remember those in prison": http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay....secuted-Church

Acts 21 Now they have been informed about you that you continually teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn back from and forsake Moses...Therefore do just what we tell you....thus everybody will know that there is no truth in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself walk in observance of the Law of Moses.

I found that too much juice spoils children's appetites.

Thread Information