Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song of Solomon

Song of Solomon

Song of Solomon

This ancient love song, seems to be something like an opera, reminding readers to welcome the Gift of marital intimacy without hesitation or shame. I do not try to 'sanctify' the poem or give it an allegorical interpretation.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "It is best to take the book in it's plain sense as love poetry, celebrating the joy and intimacy experienced by a man and woman who become man and wife. . . (some believe this was not composed by Solomon, but dedicated to him on the occasion of one of his weddings) . . . Sex is a Gift given to us by God, our Creator, who made us male and female, and designed our bodies for every sexual delight. And He sanctified sex by making foreplay and intercourse a bonding act, intended to unite one man and one woman in a unique, exclusive relationship.
    It's this that we Christians have to recapture . . . it reminds us that sex-talk can be beautiful, and need not be dirty. And it reminds us that true spirituality does not rule out the full enjoyment of the sexual side of married life. (and that) recapturing sex from 'the world' begins in the Christian home.

Quote:- (William Temple) " Sex is holy as well as wholesome . . . it is the means by which we may cooperate with God . . . Anyone who has once understood that will be quite as careful as any Puritan to avoid making jokes about sex; not because it is nasty, but because it is sacred. he would no more joke about it than he would joke about Holy Communion - and for exactly the same reasons. To joke about it is to treat with lightness something that deserves reverence."

Good choice on studying the Song. Its an oft neglected book
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickened View Post
    Good choice on studying the Song. Its an oft neglected book
    I'm not so sure that I should have started this book - as I have always neglected it too, because it has seemed to be more about fornication than marriage . . . maybe my mind will be changed as I try to gain something useful from it . . .
    Last edited by Frances; Aug 21st 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    I'm not so sure that I should have started this book - as I have always neglected it too, because it has seemed to be more about fornication than marriage which, so far as I recal, is not mentioned. . . maybe my mind will be changed as I try to gain something useful from it . . .
    The writer tells his beloved repeatedly not to wake his love before it's time. It is about love and resisting fornication.

IMO, it is also about our relationship with Christ as that is why he created marriage to begin with. But alas, that is allegory.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    It is about love and resisting fornication.

IMO, it is also about our relationship with Christ as that is why he created marriage to begin with. But alas, that is allegory.
    Mmmm . . . I've just read the book again - and therefore edited the sentence about not mentioning marriage, as the text does - however 'marriage' for a man with hundreds of wives and concubines is certainly not what I understand to be Biblical marriage, ie. One man and one woman for life.

Regretably, as I find nothing in this book to learn of God, or of what my my relationship with Him should be, I will move on to another book.

Mmmm . . . I've just read the book again - and therefore edited the sentence about not mentioning marriage, as the text does - however 'marriage' for a man with hundreds of wives and concubines is certainly not what I understand to be Biblical marriage, ie. One man and one woman for life.

Regretably, as I find nothing in this book to learn of God, or of what my my relationship with Him should be, I will move on to another book.
    It's there Frances. For instance, look at how this book is about romantic love. What good did that do Solomon in the end? He still didn't do well with relationships.

The book is a rich book in many ways. While it is an inspired book, it is not like the other inspired books.

When we apply allegory to it, we learn a great deal about how Christ and His bride interact.

Has God ever come knocking at your door at the most inconvenient time? Only for you to tell him to go away. Then, you get up and chase him but he is no where to be found? And in your distress, the enemy comes and abuses you? I love the allegorical nature of this book.

Grace and peace,

Mark
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

I beleive the Song of Solomon speaks of our Lord and Saviour and our relationship with Him in some instances:

2:1 I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.

2:4 He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love.

2:10 My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.

4:7 Thou art all fair, my love; there is no spot in thee.

5:7 The watchmen that went about the city found me, they smote me, they wounded me; the keepers of the walls took my vail from me.

....to mention a few.

Mark, I agree that where sexual encounters were concerned Solomon's wisdom apparently deserted him. I can't help wondering whether the 'allegorical' applications have been 'dreamed up' by someone and only seen by others because they have been taught those applications, and for no other reason.

Moonglow, is it possible that you, like me, only think of those particular lines as relating to Jesus because you have sung songs with them in while worshipping Him?

One of these days the Lord may enable me to understand why that particular book is included in His Word, if the quotes I put at the begining of this thread do not do it justice.

Mark, I agree that where sexual encounters were concerned Solomon's wisdom apparently deserted him. I can't help wondering whether the 'allegorical' applications have been 'dreamed up' by someone and only seen by others because they have been taught those applications, and for no other reason.
    Jesus is throughout the old testament. When Jesus was here, how did he teach? He taught in parables. But he was exactly like God. He was the express image of God. So if Jesus taught in parables, then we can rest assured that God does too. The OT is far more than history and law. It's all about Jesus! He's in every book. We just have to find Him.

Prov 25:2

2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter,
    But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.
    NASU

We know that the book of Solomon is about a man pursuing his love. We know that Jesus pursues his bride.

Grace and peace,

Mark
    NASU

Moonglow, is it possible that you, like me, only think of those particular lines as relating to Jesus because you have sung songs with them in while worshipping Him?
    You meant me right Frances?

I guess you are right frances , ive heard and sang songs with some of those lines in it. But still when I read those verses I immediatly think of Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Jesus is throughout the old testament. When Jesus was here, how did he teach? He taught in parables.
    True, but when He did Jesus explained the parables to His disciples (Matthew 13). If you start suggesting any other parts of the Bible are parables where are you going to stop? Are you going to include eg Genesis 1+2? or accounts of Moses? or accounts of king Saul? or king David?

It seems that regarding this book (SofS) it is best if we agree to differ and end this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose303 View Post
    You meant me right Frances?
    Please accept my apologies

True, but when He did Jesus explained the parables to His disciples (Matthew 13). If you start suggesting any other parts of the Bible are parables where are you going to stop? Are you going to include eg Genesis 1+2? or accounts of Moses? or accounts of king Saul? or king David?
    Gen 1 is a parable about salvation! Oh, it's literally true. But it's about salvation too. Here's a quote from Paul where he quoted Gen. 1.

2 Cor 4:6
    6 For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
    NASU

Right there, Paul quoted Gen 1 as an example of how God shines his light into our hearts. Then you see how creation went from being "good" to being "very good" when man was created in God's image.

In Genesis 1, we see where the heart is in total darkness, void and empty! The Spirit of God hovers over the deep until the Lord God says "let there be Light" and he shines light into our hearts. That's what Paul was referring to in 2 Cor. 4.

Jesus did not directly give every interpretation of every parable. But there's enough information in scripture to show us how to find the meanings.

There's plenty more where the NT shows us what the OT picture means. God gives us the NT as a precept upon precept in many places. But he illustrates those truths in the OT. So Genesis 1 is real and accurate and is how it happened. But God gave a deeper truth within it about salvation. It's about more than just creation just as Jesus stories were about more than just the story.

Here's another verse to consider.

Luke 24:27
    27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.
    NASU

Grace to you.

Mark
    NASU

Blog Entries
    I'm not convinced the Song of Solomon is about sex.

Just a reminder per board rules... this forum is not for debate. There are other areas on the board for that guys.

Hey Frances! It's good to see that you I hope you continue your study in the Song of Solomon.

Thread Information