Thread: Holy Ground

Holy Ground

Hey there!

God Bless you, whoever may be reading this. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I encountered one of my brothers after service tonight, and he told me something he was meditating about, and he asked me to do it as well, but i cant really seem to figure out whats really this scripture about. Its found in Exodus Chapter 3, where God tells moses to "...Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." What does this scripture really mean? i never really understood it. any help?

One of the better non technical commentaries I found comments...

Exo 3:5
    put off thy shoes The direction was in conformity with a usage which was well known to Moses, for the Egyptian priests observed it in their temples, and it is observed in all Eastern countries where the people take off their shoes or sandals, as we do our hats. But the Eastern idea is not precisely the same as the Western. With us, the removal of the hat is an expression of reverence for the place we enter, or rather of Him who is worshipped there. With them the removal of the shoes is a confession of personal defilement and conscious unworthiness to stand in the presence of unspotted holiness. JFB
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

thanks alot!

Quote Originally Posted by LLarios View Post
    Hey there!

God Bless you, whoever may be reading this. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I encountered one of my brothers after service tonight, and he told me something he was meditating about, and he asked me to do it as well, but i cant really seem to figure out whats really this scripture about. Its found in Exodus Chapter 3, where God tells moses to "...Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." What does this scripture really mean? i never really understood it. any help?
    This is somewhat of my opinion based on my understanding of the word holy.
    Something that is holy is something set apart for God or maybe for God's use. If the ground in this case is set apart for God, then He would give the requirements for standing on ground that is set apart for God. Beyond that, if sinful man (Moses) was to be able to stand on ground set apart for God, then I'm not sure how taking sandals off makes a difference. Perhaps it has the same type of significance as when Jesus said if you take a bath you are clean and only need your feet washed. Or something like that. I'm going out on a limb here tho.
    I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Thread Information