Thread: Spiritual Blindness

Blog Entries

Spiritual Blindness

Do you believe that some people are more spiritually blind than others, or is everyone who is not saved equally blind?

Do you believe that people who are involved in cults or false religions are more blind than, say, those who are just not spiritual at all (carnal, worldly, secular, etc.)?

Do you believe that things such as money, power, fame, etc. can increase a person's state of blindness, or do you believe that blindness is universal?

Is blindness not being able to see, or not wanting to see?

His Word is a light unto our path. Many unbelievers have some degree of light more than others. Those that flatly reject God's Word dwell in thicker darkness than those who receive some of His light. Light speaks of truth, understanding and clarity as compared to darkness which speaks of falseness, lies, superstitions etc.
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Blog Entries
    Thanks, crossnote. If it's not too much trouble, could you address each of my questions individually, and just sort of give some comments?

Thanks so much

Hi, These are some profound questions. I have been praying and researching your answers via Bible. I just love the on-line Bibles where you can do a word search. i came across 2 scriptures, that I had forgotten about, so I want to thank you for these questions, because it brought my attention to what Apostle Peter and Paul say on blindness. I had remember what Jesus has said on blindness.

1. Do you believe that some people are more spiritually blind than others, or is everyone who is not saved equally blind?

Jesus says blind is blind. I can accept what He says. Also I do know that we can gauge people on a scale of when they are coming to the Lord I think. Well I have read books on evangelism and that's what man says. What I mean by that is there are people more warmer to hearing about Jesus than others, perhaps for those who are not it could be the 1st seed being planted and the soil has not been tilled. I know I was seeking God but I honestly think i was blind until my eyes were opened by salvation.

2. Do you believe that people who are involved in cults or false religions are more blind than, say, those who are just not spiritual at all (carnal, worldly, secular, etc.)?

For me there is a difference between religious and spiritual. If you are spiritual that means you have received the spirit of God, you have made a commitment to believing Jesus as your savior. Religions is man trying to reach God. IMO you can reach all you want, but without Jesus you are not getting to God.

So those people who are in a religion are definitely blinder than a child of God who is carnal. IMO because they have been given sight the religious people have not. Here is what Apostle Peter says.

2 Peter 1:5-9
    5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, 7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.

3. Do you believe that things such as money, power, fame, etc. can increase a person's state of blindness, or do you believe that blindness is universal?

Jesus said, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of aneedle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

So maybe money does have an affect on getting saved, again we are talking about blindness in the sense of seeing the Light, getting saved.

Is blindness not being able to see, or not wanting to see? This is a good question, i am cannot answer this. I do know salvation is a choice, we choose it. But I think people reject Jesus not knowing the whole picture. Because if I knew the whole thing before getting saved I would of been saved long time ago. You know what I mean???

I look at it all as Spiritual Warfare on a soul. We know Satan is involved in all of this. How much power does he have in keeping a soul from Jesus, I am not sure, but he sure is keeping people from the Lord, through money power, fame, divorces, abuses, drugs, alcohol, sex, and much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder4Christ View Post
    Do you believe that some people are more spiritually blind than others, or is everyone who is not saved equally blind?

Do you believe that people who are involved in cults or false religions are more blind than, say, those who are just not spiritual at all (carnal, worldly, secular, etc.)?

Do you believe that things such as money, power, fame, etc. can increase a person's state of blindness, or do you believe that blindness is universal?

"And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
    And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
    Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth." (John 9:39-41)

Some people think they 'see', but they are willfully blind, they choose not to see.

"But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
    In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. " (2 Corinthians 4:3,4)

And those who do not believe are blinded by Satan, so that they might not get saved. But God can read our hearts, and know whether or not we will accept His offer, and He uses His children, born again believers of His Son, to reach those who are lost and undone.

Those who are receptive will receive God's word with gladness.

"For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe." (1 Thessalonians 2:13)

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
    Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few." (Acts 17:11, 12)

The word of God is hidden from the world by the great deceiver, but when it is preached, some will receive it and some will reject it, by choice, by their own will.

So, to answer your questions:

All people are equally blind, but some are more receptive to hearing and believing the word of God. Those who have riches and are enamored of this world are less likely to give up their 'stuff' in order to follow Christ.

In the final analysis, whether they believe or not is a choice they make, of their own freewill.
    If the Book be not infallible, where shall we find infallibility? ... Are these correctors of Scriptures infallible? Is it certain that our Bibles are not right, but that the critics must be so? ... We shall gradually be so bedoubted and be criticized that only a few of the most profound will know what is Bible and what is not, and they will dictate to the rest of us. I have no more faith in their mercy than in their accuracy... and we are fully assured that our old English version of the Scriptures is sufficient for plain men for all purposes of life, salvation, and goodness. - C.H.Spurgeon

Well, those who follow other religions are often right about some things at least. All monotheists correctly believe in one God, for example. Buddhists don't believe in God, but have a reasonably good concept of sin (although they don't call it that). So they may be less blind than purely secular people.

In Acts 17, Paul speaks approvingly about what some Greek philosophers had said about Zeus, for example (Paul even quotes them):

Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."
    (Acts 17:22-31)

Still, talking about other people's blindness makes me uncomfortable. I'm reminded of what Jesus said: "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" (Matt 7:3)

I'm sometimes surprised at how blind I still am, even after walking with Jesus for several years. It's neat when God helps me to see something (for example, understanding a portion of Scripture) that I've never noticed before, or that's always been confusing.

Some of my own blindness is a result of my sin, some is a result of not really wanting to see the truth (I suppose that's sin too), but I think a lot of it is that I'm just not done growing up yet. God often grows us slowly, not instantly, and that's OK. Now I see dimly, (but more clearly than five years ago), and later I will see very clearly, face to face.

So, yeah, I think some people are more blind than others, but I don't think that all believers have 20/20 vision. Or maybe I'm the only believer who still gropes in the dark sometimes? (But if we're supposed to walk by faith and not by sight, I suppose God can use our blindness to humble us and help us learn to trust him more deeply.)

I don't think I answered your questions....just a few thoughts.

I think some people enjoy blindness more than others, but "blind is blind". Of course, this is all metaphoric, so I assume a wide margin of error. For all I know there could be "degrees" of spiritual blindness. The safe bet is to treat all the unsaved as having the potential of salvation.

Not at all.

I go back and forth, but yes, to some extent. Power and money allows one a greater freedom and ability to deal with worldly cares in completely worldly ways and not even consider a supernatural solution.

I believe this depends on the person in question. I find it a safe bet not to assume I know the reason someone is unsaved. Its really immaterial to the objective.

Blog Entries
    Hi Welder-

We are all born spiritually blind. In fact, we are born spiritually dead. It is the result of how God ordered things to bring forth of their own kind. The dead cannot bring forth the living and because Adam and Eve surely died on that terrible day just as God said they would surely die, they could only then bring forth of their own kind.

It is bothersome to hear people say we were all born in Gods' image, because we aren't. .... And then Adam had a son in his exact image and likeness and he named him Seth. Adam and Eve were created in Gods' image, we were not.

As to whether those in cults are more spiritually blind than those who deny the existence of God, I wonder...
    I think some thought should be given here to the story of the blind man who was healed by Jesus in two stages. We cannot possibly believe He needed two tries to get it right, so we have to ponder why He did it in this fashion.

I think the blind man who was suddenly able to see the shapes of men could have run off in excitement crowing that he could see and hindered himself from ever seeing more clearly. But he didn't run off. He stayed and talked to Jesus and as a result, he was given even clearer sight.

He didn't run off to a different doctor in an attempt to gain clearer sight, he stayed with the one who had given him that sight in the first place. In a similar fashion, Saul did not run out to consult with men either but stayed with the One who had given him his sight as well.

It is in rushing out to consult with others instead of learning to follow the Holy Spirit for ourselves that we often step off the way before we have barely got on it. We are so excited at being able to see and so dumbfounded that we didn't even know we couldn't see that we rush to a human doctor to help us see more clearly when if we would just stay with the One who gave us sight and talk to Him, more would be given us.

The truth is, every denomination and every man has some leaven and error. Blind is blind but there are different degrees of seeing, 20/20 being considered the best. And there are some people who don't have a wide range of peripheral vision. And there are some who have 20/20 vision but only when they wear their glasses. I guess I wouldn't phrase it as: this person is spiritually blinder than that one but more like-this person sees more clearly because they have walked with Jesus longer....

As to your last question, we are all born blind, unable to see. A blind man does not say: Wow! I can see now! I made a choice for sight and now I can see!! That would be a slap in the face to the doctor who performed the surgery to give him his sight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DieingDaily4Him View Post
    For me there is a difference between religious and spiritual. If you are spiritual that means you have received the spirit of God, you have made a commitment to believing Jesus as your savior. Religions is man trying to reach God. IMO you can reach all you want, but without Jesus you are not getting to God.

So those people who are in a religion are definitely blinder than a child of God who is carnal. IMO because they have been given sight the religious people have not. Here is what Apostle Peter says.

2 Peter 1:5-9
    5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, 7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.

That's a good passage from Peter. Thanks.

I guess what I am getting at is that someone who is involved in a cult, say Mormonism, believes that they already have God, while someone who is living a completely secular life doesn't have God, so that when He is confronted with God, God can show his need for Him.
    A Mormon, say, wouldn't think that, because they believe they already have the truth. Would you consider this greater blindness?

Jesus said, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of aneedle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

So maybe money does have an affect on getting saved, again we are talking about blindness in the sense of seeing the Light, getting saved.
    Ya...I think riches can be a real distraction. So, then, it appears that there are numerous factors that keep people in blindness. I also, know, that there are many wealthy people who are empty and unfulfilled, so perhaps this is the thing that God uses to show them their need for Him.

I have found that everyone who becomes saved shares one thing in common....in some way, they understood their need for God. The need didn't manifest itself in the same way in everyone's life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Esperanza32 View Post
    I'm sometimes surprised at how blind I still am, even after walking with Jesus for several years.
    Oh, I completely hear that one!!! I am always surprised at how self-willed I am. Oftentimes I forget how desperately I still need the Lord, how sin can continue to creep in, despite my relationship with God, and my disdain for the sin. When I think I'm doing great, and have overcome a certain thing in my life....BAM!!! It creeps in, and I must go groveling to Jesus.

Praise the Lord that He is so patient, and forgives me for my blindness.

God often grows us slowly, not instantly, and that's OK. Now I see dimly, (but more clearly than five years ago), and later I will see very clearly, face to face.
    YES....Isn;t it amazing how we really don't understand how much we have to learn?! I see the work of Christ in my own life, and I know that i still fall so short, and have deep and intense struggles, but no matter how deep the struggles, His patience and love run deeper.

I can be so foolish sometimes!! It's like God teaches me something, and I think to myself "Ya, I'm doing great in this area. God is teaching me so much...I am SET!!!" then something happens to burst my bubble, and I realize how desperately I still need Him. I guess it's a mixture of pride and blindness.

Thanks, crossnote. If it's not too much trouble, could you address each of my questions individually, and just sort of give some comments?

Thanks so much
    I answered three of your four questions in my four sentence response, maybe you didn't notice. To the 4th question:

Blindness is the cause of the 1st half and the result of the 2nd half.
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crossnote View Post
    I answered three of your four questions in my four sentence response, maybe you didn't notice. To the 4th question:

Blindness is the cause of the 1st half and the result of the 2nd half.
    Ya, I realize that, but I guess I was just hoping that you would break up the answers, and elaborate some. Thank you for your input, though

Thread Information