Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Daily Bible Study - Mark(2)

My Daily Bible Study - Mark(2)

Mark 1

What does the text say?:- The start of the proclamation of the Good News of Jesus Christ was when John the Baptist, fulfilling Malachi 3 1, began preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of Sins. Many people went to John in the desert where he was clothed in camel's hair and ate locusts (locust beans or insects?) and wild honey, telling of the One who would Baptise with Holy Spirit. Jesus went to John and was baptised in the Jordan. As he came out of the water the holy "Spirit descended on Jesus 'like a dove', and a Voice from heaven said "You are my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased." the Holy Spirit sent Jesus into the desert, where he spent 40 days with wild animals, tempted by Satan and ministered to by angels. After John was imprisoned Jesus preached in Galilee, telling folk to repent and believe the Good News.

Application?:- Do I prepare the way in people's hearts for Jesus Christ? Do I tell folk of God's willingness to Forgive those who turn away from everything that displeases Him? Am I willing to humble myself? Do I spend time alone with God? Is there anything in my life that displeases God? Do I realise an understanding of the Old Testament is necessary for a true understanding of the New?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) "Between verses 13 and 14, that is between Jesus' Temptation and the beginning of His Galilean Ministry are to be placed the events of John 1:19 to 4:54, covering about a year."

Mark 1;16 - 34

What does the text say? Jesus walked by the Sea of Galilee when Simon and Andrew were casting a net into the sea and told them He would make them fishers of men, He also Called James and John who were mending their nets. They all immediately followed Jesus. On the Sabbath they went to Capernaum where Jesus taught in the synagogue, and everyone was astonished at the Authority of His teaching, Jesus also cast a demon out of a man and so became famous all around Galilee. They went to the home of Peter's mother in law who was ill, Jesus Healed her and she served them. That evening many who were sick or demon possessed came to the house Jesus Healed them all, silenced the demons and cast them out.

Application? Do I follow Jesus whenever He calls me? Do I recognise God's Authority in what Jesus taught? Do I recognise His Authority when displayed through His servants? Am I able to discern those serving other gods? Do I tell others of Jesus' Power and Authority? Do I serve Jesus and His disciples? Do I encourage those I meet to come to Jesus to be Healed and set free?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)"Three of those (disciples) had believed on Jesus a year before at John's baptism (John 1:35 - 42). they are now Called to become His companions in travel."

Mark 1:35 - 45

What does the text say? Jesus got up before dawn and went to a deserted place to pray. Later, when his disciples had searched for, and found, Him Jesus said He had come to go round preaching the good News. He went through the ten towns preaching in the synagogues, Healing folk and casting out demons. Jesus Healed a leper who believed in His Power, then told him to 'offer the things Moses commanded as a testimony’ (Lev. 14 1 32) The leper told everyone how he had been Healed by Jesus, then crowds coming to Him were so great He had to stay in deserted places to allow them all to hear Him preach.

Application? Do I get up early to spend time with Almighty God? Do I go somewhere to be alone with Him? Do I search for Jesus (eg. in God's Word?) Do I recognise preaching with God's Power and Authority? Do I fulfill the Mosaic Law 'as a testimony to others'? Do I tell all I meet of Jesus' Power and encourage them to meet Him personally?

Mark 2:1-17

What does the text say? - when Jesus returned to Capernaum many people came to the house where He was staying. Four men carried a paralytic to Jesus, but couldn't get near Him, so made a hole in the roof and let him down in front of Jesus; seeing their faith in Him Jesus Forgave the paralytic's Sins. The scribes thought He had blasphemed as only God can Forgive sins; Jesus knew their thoughts so, to demonstrate His Deity and Power and Authority to Forgive Sins,He told the paralysed man to get up and walk - which he did. On His way to teach a crowd by the sea Jesus saw Levi collecting taxes and said "Follow Me" - which Levi did. Jesus dined at Levi's house with other tax collectors and Sinners horrifying the Pharisees. Jesus said He came to call Sinners to repentance.

Application? Do I go where Jesus is working, or expect Him to come to me? Do I take those in need to Jesus? Do I take them in my car? Do I take them in prayer? Do I overcome obstacles on their behalf? Does my faith in Jesus enable others to be Healed? Do I invite all those I know to meet Jesus? As my life has not always pleased God am I determined to turn away from all my Sin and all those who tempt me to Sin? Does self-righteousness prevent me receiving the Forgiveness God longs to give me?

Mark 2 18 28

What does the text say? - the Pharisee's disciples, and John's disciples wanted to know why Jesus' disciples didn't fast as they did. Jesus likened Himself to a bridegroom whose friends don't fast while He is with them, but will fast when He is taken away. Jesus likened His Good News not as a patch for the old religious system but as bubbling new wine that will burst out of an old stiff wineskin. The Pharisees said Jesus disciples acted unlawfully when they plucked heads of corn to eat as they walked on the Sabbath, but Jesus told them He was Lord of the Sabbath and had designated it for mankind's refreshment.

Application?:- Do I think every other Christian must do as I do to be acceptable to God? Do I fast from apparently good things that come between me and the Lord? Do I regard my faith in Jesus Christ as a ‘patch’ on the life I choose to live? Does the Life of the Kingdom bubble so fiercely in me since I became a Christian that my life has been completely changed?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) "Jesus did not attach a great deal of importance to fasting as generally practiced(Matt.6 16 18). . . The 3 metaphors, the bridegroom, the rent garment, the old wineskin, seems to mean there are occasions when fasting is proper, but that it is out of place in ordinary life, especially as a regular practice to advertise one's holiness."

Mark 3:1-19

What does the text say? One Sabbath when Jesus entered the synagogue the Pharisees watched to see if He'd Heal a man with a withered hand. Jesus asked them if it was against the Law to do good or evil, to save life or kill, but they didn't reply. Jesus was angry because of their hard hearts. Then He told the man to hold out his hand and it was Healed. After that the Pharisees plotted to destroy Jesus. Jesus and His disciples went to the sea where He preached, Healed and cast out demons; He was followed by a multitude who came from far and wide. Jesus chose 12 disciples to be with Him all the time, to learn from Him and to work with Him, they were Simon Peter, Andrew, James and John the sons of Zebedee, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddeus, Simon the Canaanite and Judas Iscariot who betrayed Him.

Application? Am I annoyed if Jesus overturns my pre-conceived ideas of what should, or should not, be done? Am I one of Jesus' disciples? Do I allow Jesus to continue His earthly Work through me? Being one of Jesus disciples does not necessarily mean always making the right choices, or being Saved for Eternity if wrong choices are made in future.

Mark 3:20 - 35

What does the text say? Jesus and His disciples didn't have time to eat, as so many people who needed Healing were surrounding them. Jesus family thought He was deranged, and the Scribes said He was possessed by Satan. Jesus asked them how Satan could remove Satan, saying a family divided against itself would collapse, and made clear that He was stronger than Satan, or he would not be able to release Satan's captives. Jesus also made clear that those who attribute the work of the Holy Spirit to Satan would never be forgiven. When Jesus' mother and half brothers couldn't get near Him when He was in a house surrounded by people, they sent Him a message, then He made clear they were no more important to Him than anyone else who does God's Will.

Application? - Am I always able to discern the source (God, Self or Satan) of people's words and actions? Have I ever attributed the Work of the Holy Spirit to Satan, or words and actions from some other source to the Holy Spirit? Do I do all possible to keep my family (physical or spiritual) united? Could my words or actions be divisive? Do I hold any of Jesus' earthly family in higher regard than anyone else who does His Will? Why, when Jesus obviously didn't allow any of them to influence Him regarding His Work.

Mark 4

What does the text say? - A great multitude gathered when Jesus as teaching by the sea, so He sat in a boat facing them telling them many parables (earthly stories with heavenly meanings). Jesus said a sower's seed may be eaten by birds, land on ground with no depth of soil so it withers quickly, among thorns that choke the plants, or on good ground where it will yield a good crop. When His disciples were alone with Jesus He told them the meanings of the parables. The seed refers to the Word of God and the determination of the hearers to act on it, having sown the seed the sower can do no more until the harvest is ready. The seed of the Kingdom seems insignificant but will grow out of all expectation. Jesus explained the significance of each parable to His disciples when they were alone. He was asleep in a boat on the way across the sea when a fierce storm arose, the disciples were afraid so they woke Him, then he calmed the storm and asked why they had been afraid.

Application? Do I ensure all I am speaking to can hear me? (sitting on the water would have amplified Jesus' voice). Do I get discouraged when all those I tell of Jesus either don't respond to Him or fall away, or do I realise that is 'normal' and my responsibility is to sow and harvest willing souls, the hearts of those who hear me is not my responsibility. Do I understand the full significance of each parable? Do I realise it is the spiritual meanings of Jesus' parables that are concealed from those who are not His, not the physical meaning?(some 'intellegent' folk seem to enjoy working out links to their own pet theories). If I am doing as Jesus tells me (going across the sea with Him) there may well be grave difficulties, but as He is in command what He has said will be accomplished, what He has said will be fulfilled.

Mark 5:1-20

What does the text say? When they arrived at Gerasa a mad man with demonic strength ran to Jesus and worshipped Him, calling Him 'Jesus the Son of the Most High God'. Jesus sent the demons from the man into a herd of about 2000 pigs nearby and they all ran down a steep slope into the sea and were drowned. When the people of Gerasa heard what happened they found the formerly naked, crazy man clothed and sane, and pleaded with Jesus to go away. As Jesus got back into the boat He told the man He had set free to go and tell his friends what the Lord had done for him - which he did.

Application? - Do I recognise Jesus for who He is and worship Him? Jesus has more than sufficient Power and Authority to release me from all Evil controlling my life. Does Jesus want me to tell of His Greatness in my own area, even though I'd prefer to go elsewhere with Him?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) "Paul says the Christian's struggle is against Evil personalities of the unseen world (Eph. 6:12) but Jesus is our Strength in the struggle; Satan and his Evil spirits are helpless against the Name and Power of Jesus.

Mark 5:21 - 43

What does the text say? - A great multitude was with Jesus by the sea of Galilee when Jairus, a leader of the synagogue, knelt at His feet begging Him to go and Heal his dying daughter - so Jesus, and the crowd, went with him. On the way a woman, desperate for the Healing she knew only Jesus could give, touched the hem of His garment and was Healed. Jesus knew and asked who touched Him. When the woman told Jesus the whole truth He said her faith had made her well. While Jesus was speaking to her someone arrived to tell Jairus his daughter had died., but Jesus told Jairus to keep trusting Him; then only allowing Peter, James and John to go with him continued to Jairus' home where He held the dead girls hand telling her to get up - and she did, then He said she needed food.

Application? - Do I make a point of being with Jesus? Do I go to Jesus with all my problems? Do I trust Him with the results even when the situation seems hopeless, even when I've tried all that modern medicine can offer and still suffer? Do I go to Jesus trusting Him to Heal me? Is my faith in His ability total with no doubts? Do I trust Jesus to raise me to Life after my death? Jesus knows when I need food.

Mark 6:1-12

What does the text say? - Jesus and His disciples went to Nazareth. On the Sabbath Jesus taught in the synagogue, astonishing, and/or offending, those who had known Him while He was growing up, with His wisdom and miracles of Healing, their unbelief limited what he was able to do there. Jesus went round the villages teaching the people. Then Jesus sent out His 12 disciples in pairs to preach repentance, with Power to cast out Evil spirits and heal the sick in His Name; He told them not to take any luggage but to accept the hospitality offered by those who heeded their words, but to accept nothing from those who wouldn't listen to them. They cast out many demons and Healed many people (Matt.10).

Application? - Do I follow Jesus wherever He goes or expect Him to follow me where I want to go? Am I amazed how the Lord works through those I've known since childhood? Does my total obedience to Jesus allow Him to use me for His Glory? Do I limit Jesus Ability by my unbelief/doubts? Do I ensure all 'wisdom' is Biblical before accepting it?(there are some very strange things on TV/internet etc.from folk purporting to be Christians). Am I using the Power Jesus has given me to use in His Name? Do I accept money from those who do not accept Christ's teaching to do His Work? Do I freely offer others the benefits of entry into, and growth in, Christ's Kingdom as it has been given me?

Mark 6:13 - 29

What does the text say? - Herod had been incensed when John the Baptist said he had acted unlawfully in marrying his brother Philip's wife so imprisoned him, Herodias wanted to kill John but Herod protected him and enjoyed listening to him, even though John perplexed him. When Herodias' daughter pleased Herod with her dancing in front of his guests he recklessly offered to give her whatever she wanted, so Herodias told her to ask for John the Baptist's head on a plate. Even though it distressed him, Herod ordered John beheaded. When Herod heard folk saying Jesus was either Elijah or an other famous prophet, he was convinced He was John the Baptist returned to life.

Application? Does inflamed passion persuade me to act foolishly, even unlawfully? Do thoughtless promises when excited lead me to either actions I will regret or 'losing face'? Do I scheme to eliminate those who tell the truth re. my guilt, like Herodias? Does the knowledge of my guilt haunt me?

Mark 6:30 - 44

What does the text say? - When the apostles returned to Jesus they told Him all they had said and done, then He said they'd go to a deserted place to rest awhile. The crowd saw them leave by boat, knew where they were heading, and ran there; Jesus knew they were like sheep without a shepherd so He taught them for the rest of the day. When His disciples wanted Jesus to send the people away to get food He told them to feed the people, but the only food available was 5 loaves and 2 fish. Jesus said the people must sit down, then He Blessed the food and broke it, then everyone had enough and there were 12 baskets of leftovers.

Application? - Do I discuss everything I say and do wit Jesus? Does Jesus want me to rest and just 'be' with Him for a while? Do I make every effort to be with Jesus? Is being with Him more important to me than food? Do I always bless food, in Jesus Name, before I eat it?

Quote :- (Henry H. Halley) "The sea of Galilee is 13 miles long, 7 wide, 680 feet below sea level, surrounded by hills . . . The hills are now bare, but in Jesus' day were heavily wooded according to Josephus. It's shores teemed with the population of 10 cities of not less than 15,000 people each . . . The north end was the principle scene of Jesus' earthly Ministry.

Mark 6:45 - 56

What does the text say? - Jesus urged His disciples to row ahead of Him to the other side of the sea of Galilee, while He sent the multitude away and spent some time in prayer. During the night there was a strong wind making rowing hard work for His disciples, Jesus came to them walking on the water. They thought He was a ghost and were troubled, but Jesus said "take courage it is I". When He went into the boat the wind ceased; they were all amazed because they hadn't understood His Power 'because their hearts were hardened'. They arrived at Genesaret, the people recognised Jesus, and wherever He was teaching they brought those who were sick to Him. As many as touched Him were Healed.

Application? - When Jesus urges me to do something He always has a good reason. Do I spend time alone in prayer? When I am in difficulty Jesus will come to me. Courage is not automatic, I must 'take courage' to do as Jesus tells me, trusting Him with the outcome. Do I really understand the extent of Jesus' Power? Is my heart hardened against some aspect of Jesus' Work? Do I go to Jesus and touch Him or expect Him to come to me and touch me?

Mark 7

What does the text say? - Some Scribes and Pharisees from Jerusalem found fault with Jesus disciples for eating without ceremonially washing their hands. Jesus quoted Isaiah saying people honour God with their words but not in their hearts, so their 'worship' is meaningless, and He gave examples of keeping traditions instead of God's requirements. Jesus told the crowd that what is put in the stomach cannot defile them, but what comes from their heart will if they allow thoughts of evil, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride and foolishness, to separate them from God. In Tyre a gentile woman pleaded with Jesus many times to cast a demon out of her daughter. He insulted her but she didn't take offence, so Jesus Healed her daughter and, elsewhere, He Healed a deaf person with a speech impediment.

Application?- Do I consider good hygiene, that is essential for health, a necessary requirement for my relationship with God? What thoughts does God see in my heart? Do I ask Jesus just once and trusting Him for what I need and know only He is able to give, or do I keep asking?

Thread Information